Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Calvin

Default Deflect Enchantment, but only for Dodge?

I've been considering a Deflect enchanted item of some sort for my current PC, and I was just wondering what the cost reduction might be to only enchant one of the three active defenses instead of all of them. So the spell gives +1 Dodge, Block, Parry for 100 energy, what would it be to only get that +1 on Dodge?

I've been looking at the accessability limitation as an example and it suggests that a limitation that makes something work only 33% of the time is worth -25%. On the other hand the fortify enchantment's options for piece by piece enchantment uses a more or less 1:1 percentage system. It's not quite the LT version of the armor coverage rules, but it's roughly similar.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
mikeejimbo

Default Re: Deflect Enchantment, but only for Dodge?

Remember that Enhanced Dodge is 15 points, while Enhanced Parry is 10 and Enhanced Block is 5. From that I would say it's more like a -20% limitation.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
PK

Default Re: Deflect Enchantment, but only for Dodge?

The difference in piecemeal DR (and such) is that you don't get to choose where your enemies attack you. But you do get to choose which active defense you use -- plus, you can easily optimize this to enhance whatever your best defense is. So Accessibility is a closer match.

Dodge, Parry, and Block aren't equally valuable, because you can dodge an unlimited number of times, you're penalized for repeat parries (but there are ways to get that down, like fencing weapons and Weapon Master), and can block only once unless using optional rules (and even then, it's harsh). So I'd use Enhanced Defenses cost to gauge actual percentages here: 15 + 10 + 5 = 30, which means Dodge is 50% of the time, Parry is 33% of the time, and Block is 17% of the time.

So per PU8, that suggests Dodge Only is -20%, Parry Only is -25%, and Block Only is -35%, which I find reasonable.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote