Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
baronopium

Default Aimed Shooting optional rule in Tactical Shooting

Does the restriction on dodging during Aimed Shooting include the Aim maneuvers leading up to the All-Out Attack (Determined) maneuver? The dodging restriction is described in the previous section on Sighted Shooting. (TS13-14)

In the second paragraph in the Aimed Shooting section, the rules state that you lose the Acc bonus if you dodge, implying that you can still dodge normally while Aiming.

I read Aimed Shooting to be the whole process of Aiming and then shooting, which means that you wouldn't be able to dodge during the Aim maneuvers. The reason why you lose dodge in Sighted Shooting is because of the concentration required. In the Aimed Shooting section, it states that Aimed Shooting requires more concentration than Sighted Shooting. The time you're concentrating is when you're Aiming. So wouldn't Aim be affected?
baronopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Aimed Shooting optional rule in Tactical Shooting

My understanding is that the main thing that is changed when it comes to aimed shots in Tactical Shooting from the Basic Set is that to get the bonus from aiming, you have to take an All-Out Attack maneuver (a 'sighted shot' in Tactical Shooting) instead of a regular Attack. The aim maneuver is not changed at all. So you can dodge during an Aim maneuver, but you lose whatever bonus you have built up do to aiming.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Yeah, if you dodge while aiming you lose the benefit of aiming, as you point out yourself. What distinction are you drawing between that and what you're suggesting?

It doesn't modify the Aim maneuver to completely forbid defenses rather than follow it's normal rules such that using any defenses throws away the maneuver's benefits.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

The reason it's mentioned for one but not the other is a matter of sequence.

If you take aim, and then defend yourself, you lose the benefit of your Aim. So next turn, assuming you're not dead or nuthin', you can do what you want. But you've lost the benefit of your aim, which was the whole point of delayed gratification anyway. So by defending, you lose the benefit of your intended action.

For an attack, once you have your turn and declare your shot with the AoA, you can't defend until your next turn. But your offensive action has been taken and resolved - any benefit is already present. So the "retroactive" penalty of no defense is needed and has been RAW for more or less ever.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tactical shooting