Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Bruno

Default Other tactile game bits for DFRPG

This is a spin off on the subject of cardboard heroes, hex bases, etc:

Other things I have spent a huge amount of money on for D&D, as translated to DFRPG, that might be projects to consider for future DFRPG support:

A box of tokens for tracking various things
  • Hit Point markers in two colours to represent positive HP vs negative HP. Or three, to have another colour for the HP between 0 and 1/3. This makes it graphically obvious when you've crossed the threshold, and you have that really fun tactile effect of picking up tokens. Ditto for FP and ER/Power Items of course.
  • Tiles or cards to place down in front of me representing "status effects" and summarizing the penalties and restrictions imposed - the effect of being at 1/3 HP or 0 FP, the standard afflictions + deaf and blind + whatever else you find sifting through Spells and the bestiaries, crippling injuries (left arm crippled, right leg crippled, left eye blind), "Grappled", "Pinned".
The box itself should be sturdy enough that the lid can act as a dice arena; a luxury version would be wood for durability, and have a thin layer of a felt or velvet material to make it less noisy. You can have the logo laser cut on the lid this way :)

Blast templates for indicating the area covered by a spell or grenade
  • Wire edged outlines of AOE up to spell radius of 5; do wire edged so you can place it down over existing minis if it's a lingering effect like Grease or Ice Slick.
  • Alternately or as well, six individual little "Hex corners" to just place freeform at the edges of your effect, regardless of the size, and regardless of overlapping other effects. Having multiple sets of these in various colours to differentiate different spell effects is good.
  • The hex corners also let you lay out lines and cones with a little creativity.

Range rulers with the speed-range table penalty on them in colour bands, along with distance in inches/yards. This could also be a flexible tape measure for further range (if we were playing GURPS physically on a regular basis, I'd get out a marker and upgrade my dressmakers tape like this).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Other tactile game bits for DFRPG

Most of this requires selecting a map scale, of course. Presumably that's one inch on the map to one yard in the game?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Most of this requires selecting a map scale, of course. Presumably that's one inch on the map to one yard in the game?
I had assumed, in part because of the size of the Cardboard Heroes. I personally like a much smaller scale (a la Warhammer Epic scale) because I like big fight areas and long lines of sight to give archers a chance, but you just can't do that with the Cardboard Heroes. They have 1" bases, so you could also do 1.5" or 2" hexes (and be able to put two in one hex for close combat) but that's a really cramped space on most peoples kitchen tables.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

How about a modification for the DFRPG game bits? I painted the little arrows on my Cardboard Heroes bases. For the colored bases I used a black sharpie, which worked great. For the black based I purchased a Silver Paint Pen at Walmart for $2. It worked quite well.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Multi-hex bases and figures for some of the bigger monsters would be nice.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
YES. There is so LITTLE for large monsters that aren't D&D-style circles. I've resorted to using a different mini for each part before, which is very very clumsy.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This would be good.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Because the included maps give away all of the secret doors and hidden rooms, I didn't want to use them.

I used a sheet of mylar and traced them with sharpies, leaving out the hidden details and then just used that over my regular hex map. I cut out each room/secret tunnel/section and when they found the hole in the wall, for example, I added that part of the map.
I also intend on reusing "Merle's Place" so I created the main floor. I'll eventually create the upstairs as well since it's an inn as well as a tavern.

I usually use wet erase markers on my laminated hex map anyway, so I was able to write on the mylar without disrupting the sharpie. During cleanup, I do lose a bit of detail, but not too much.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Colarmel

If you find yourself printing tokens for your games, and wishing they fit nicely in your bases, I've had a lot of success with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories, bases, dfrpg, product suggestion, tokens