Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
SuedodeuS

Default Fighting with Garrotes

I've mentioned it before, but I've been working on (in my head) some rules for cinematic garrote fighting for some time now, and have finally gotten around to writing some of the stuff out. Here's what I have so far, including a Martial Arts style. This will be split into two posts, due to the length of it. My apologies.

Grappling: A garrote can be used on an aware opponent. This is done at a -4 penalty to Garrote skill (note this can be bought off as a Technique). A garrote is used as a proxy in grapples (use Garrote-4 instead of a grappling skill), but due to size constraints can generally only grapple a limb or the neck - and it suffers full hit location penalties. On your next turn following a successful grapple - and every turn thereafter, until your foe breaks free - you may try to damage the grappled extremity. Roll a Quick Contest of ST vs. the higher of your victim's ST or HT. If you win, you inflict cutting damage equal to your margin of victory. DR protects normally. This is a passive action that does not count as an attack, leaving you open to attack with extra arms or your legs. You may opt to "upgrade" the passive action to a proper Attack, gaining a +3 bonus to ST in the quick contest (note this is the default when using a garrote in a sneak attack).
Neck: If the neck is grappled and any damage penetrates DR - even blunt trauma - the target begins to suffocate.
Rope: A rope garrote cannot damage a limb passively - you must make an Attack, and you do not enjoy the +3 to ST of a wire garrote. A rope garrote functions just like a wire garrote (except it deals crushing instead of cutting damage) against the neck.
Runaround: If you target the neck with a runaround attack, succeed, and are able to maintain the grapple until your next turn, your foe is treated as though you successfully got him with the garrote from behind (thus, you no longer roll at a -4 penalty).
Breaking free: To break free, the victim must win a Quick Contest of ST-5, Judo-3, or Wrestling-3 against your Garrote-4. If your victim successfully breaks free, you must make a Retain Weapon (Garrote) check with a penalty equal to your victim's margin of victory. On a failure, you drop the garrote. On a success, you keep hold and can attempt to cause damage - see Vengeful Cut, below.
Code:
Vengeful Cut*
		Hard
Default:  Garrote-6; cannot exceed Garrote
	If a target successfully breaks out of your garrote grapple but does
	not disarm you in doing so, you may opt to release one handle and
	pull on the other, biting deep into the grappled extremity as the
	garrote is pulled away.  Roll against Vengeful Cut to inflict thr
	cut damage.  If your enemy used brute strength to break out, rather
	than a grappling skill, you may use his thrust damage instead, if
	higher.  Vengeful Cut may also be used actively on your turn as an
	Attack, rather than in reaction to the target breaking free.  In
	this case, you roll against Garrote-2 (rather than Garrote-6; note
	that you still cannot exceed Garrote).  Your enemy may attempt a
	Dodge or Parry with a grappling skill, but only if he would
	ordinarily be entitled to a defense (thus, if strangling from
	behind, he gets no defense).
	With a rope garrote, roll for thr cr damage.  This does not cause any
	actual injury, but can result in shock penalties.  You may opt to do
	this when using Vengeful Cut with a wire garrote as well, at an
	additional -2 penalty.
	Performing Vengeful Cut may be realistic.  If so, buying off the
	penalty to the reaction form is cinematic, while buying off the
	penalty to the active form is not.
Techniques: In addition to (or in place of) dealing damage, you may attempt to use several Techniques, notably Judo or Wrestling Techniques. These Techniques default from their normal skills and also suffer an additional -4 penalty.
Arm/Leg Lock: You may attempt to put your victim into an Arm Lock or Leg Lock following a successful grapple. This requires an Attack, but does not sacrifice the free damage attempt. Once you've succeeded, you gain the free damage attempt associated with Lock in addition to the free damage attempt from the garrote. The garrote lacks the finesse to accomplish a Wrist Lock, however.
Bind Weapon: Bind Weapon is a legitimate Garrote Technique. It defaults at Garrote-3, but still suffers the -4 penalty for combat use of a garrote if done offensively. If done as a follow-up to a parry, you do not suffer the -4 penalty.
Judo Throw: You may attempt to throw a grappled opponent. This sacrifices the free damage attempt, but with a successful throw you inflict thr cut damage to the grappled extremity in addition to the effects of the throw. It is also possible to use your body to gain additional leverage by flipping over your victim prior to the throw. This requires an Acrobatic Evade roll at -2 (which causes you to step out of Close Combat) and penalizes your throw by -2. There are additional constraints - you must end your Step with your back to your opponent's hex, and you must Step into one of your Front hexes. After the Step, the enemy must be thrown into one of your Front hexes. Failure at the Acrobatic Evade roll invalidates the maneuver (you essentially Do Nothing); Critical Failure means you drop the garrote and fall prone. Failure at the throw means you lose your grapple. If you succeed at both, you inflict sw cut damage to the grappled extremity, but lose the grapple. If you Critically Succeed at one (or both), you may opt to maintain the grapple after the throw (note this may require you to go prone with your target).
-Rope: The rope garrote isn't quite as effective as the wire garrote at damaging limbs during throws. For a typical throw, you simply regain the passive damage attempt. For an acrobatic throw, you deal thr cr on a successful throw. A rope garrote still functions normally against the neck, however.
Neck Snap: A garrote can be used in association with a Neck Snap. This does not sacrifice the free damage attempt. You may use Neck Snap (Bare Hands)-4, or Neck Snap (Garrote) unpenalized.
Sacrifice Throw: Sacrifice Throw is used just like Judo Throw with the garrote, and you may make an Acrobatic Throw. If you land atop your opponent or pull him onto you, you may retain your grapple.
Wrench Limb: You may opt to use this Technique, subject to the same rules/restrictions as Neck Snap.
Code:
Garrote Grapple*
		Hard
Default:  Garrote-4; cannot exceed Garrote
	This cinematic Technique that allows you to buy off the -4 to Garrote
	for using it in combat.  This also buys off the -4 penalty to most
	Techniques used in conjunction with a garrote, with the exceptions of
	Neck Snap and Wrench Limb (which must specialize in Garrote to get
	rid of the penalty).
Defensive use: A garrote can be used defensively against an attacking enemy. Garrotes are Parry -2U weapons. However, the default two-handed grip is actually a Defensive Grip, giving +1 (total -1U) to attacks from the front and -1 (total -3U; generally total -5) to attacks from the side. A garrote can be held with both handles in one hand (Ready maneuver to switch between this one-handed and the default two-handed grip), but can generally only parry thrusts (the GM may make an exception against a weapon such as a pick). Success by 5 or more gives you the option of entangling a parried thrown weapon (see Knife-Thrower, later). A successful parry allows for use of Arm Lock against an unarmed enemy or a Bind Weapon against an armed one. Judo Throw can be used after any such parry, and against an unarmed enemy will damage his arm as described above. Against a kick, a successful parry can be followed up with Leg Grapple.

Attacking: A garrote can be used to make an attack. This can only be done if only one handle is grasped. It can be used at Range 1 by striking with the handle - treat as a Life Preserver. It can be used at Range C by lashing with the wire. Treat as a Range C Urumi with -1 damage. This assumes a proper (wire) garrote - when using an improvised rope garrote, consult Improvised Weapons on MA224.

Code:
TL	Weapon		Damage		Reach	Parry	Cost	Weight	ST
Flail (DX-6)
0	Garrote		sw-1 cr		1	No	$2	neg	-

Garrote (DX-x)
0	Garrote		Special		C	-2U	$2	neg	-

Whip
0	Garrote		sw-2(0.5) cut	1	No	$2	neg	-
Knife-Thrower: A successful Parry with a Margin of Success of 5 or greater - or a Critical Success on a Parry - gives the character the option to catch/entangle a projectile weapon with the garrote. Once this is done, the garrote can be Readied to fling the weapon, much like an atlatl. This uses the same skill as what normally throws the weapon, but at a -4 penalty. This penalty can be bought off with the Knife-Thrower Technique, below. Thr damage becomes sw-1; sw damage is unmodified. Thus, a Small Knife (thr-1) would deal sw-2 imp, while a throwing axe (sw+2) would have no change to its damage.

Code:
Knife-Thrower
		Hard
Defaults:  Prerequisite Skill-4 or Throwing Art-2
Prerequisite:  Thrown Weapon or Throwing
	This Technique buys off the penalty to using a garrote as an improvised
	atlatl of sorts.  You must specialize by skill.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
SuedodeuS

Default Re: Fighting with Garrotes

Garrote Combat
4 points
This combat style teaches the use of garrotes in actual combat situations, rather than simply as a sentry-removal tool. It owes much of its history to training with using ropes as improvised weapons, as many such techniques can readily be adapted for use with a wire. It is appropriate for dedicated assassin groups, not simply for skilled solitary assassins (unless they trained under the group, of course!).
Stylists tend to need to kill their enemies quickly and quietly to allow for a quick escape. They tend to make acrobatic attacks of one sort or another, and are very skilled at throwing and grappling their prey. A favored tactic is the Guillotine Gambit - a Committed Attack that consists of stepping into Close Combat to target the Neck with the garrote, followed by a flip over the target while turning in midair. Performed successfully, the stylist will end up standing behind the target with the garrote around the target's neck - meaning if the stylist can maintain the grapple, the situation turns into a proper garroting. Game mechanically, this is an Acrobatic Evade followed by a Targetted Attack (Neck) Runaround Attack. A more advanced technique is the Guillotine Throw, in which the stylist doesn't twist in midair and instead uses his body as a lever to throw his target. Game mechanically, this is a Combination consisting of a Guillotine Gambit followed immediately by a Judo Throw. Some practitionists do a Sacrifice Throw instead, in order to maintain the grapple (only the Judo Throw version is listed below).
Skills: Acrobatics, Garrote, Judo
Techniques: Arm Lock; Bind Weapon (Garrote); Combination (Guillotine Gambit + Judo Throw); Disarming (Garrote); Evade (Acrobatics); Knife-Thrower; Retain Weapon (Garrote); Targetted Attack (Garrote Grapple/Arm); Targetted Attack (Garrote Grapple/Neck).
Cinematic Skills: Invisibility Art; Lizard Climb; Pressure Points; Pressure Secrets; Throwing Art.
Cinematic Techniques: Garrote Grapple; Vengeful Cut.
Perks: Grip Mastery (Garrote); Ground Guard; Improvised Weapons (Garrote)
Optional Traits
Advantages: Combat Reflexes; Flexibility; Trained by a Master or Weapon Master (Garrote).
Disadvantages: Duty; Secret (Assassin)
Skills: Flail; Karate; Knife; Stealth; Thrown Weapon (Knife); Whip; Wrestling
Techniques: Judo Throw

Any comments/advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interesting in which (if any) of my options might be appropriate in a realistic game. If anybody has advice for the style, I'd love to hear it. It's based (loosely) off of the anmaglâhk, essentially a caste of ninja elf-assassins from the Noble Dead book series. Better names for some of my techniques would also be appreciated (I'm terrible at coming up with names for stuff). Finally, there are some other bits I need some assistance with:

Damage to the garrote: With a weight of "negligible," a garrote would automatically break on parrying any swung weapon. As a suspended wire, however, a garrote has significantly more "give" than a typical weapon, particularly in the hands of a skilled user. How should this be represented? One idea might be to have the garrote be perfectly fine in the case of a successful Parry, but failure by a certain amount would damage/destroy the garrote. Quality would influence this. So, for example, a Cheap garrote breaks with a Margin of Failure of 3 or higher. Good would be 4+, Fine would be 5+, Very Fine (if available) would be 6+.

Lakota Ninja Katana-Staff: I don't want the garrote to turn into some sort of ridiculously powerful weapon - I just want to give combatants with one additional options. I think I've accomplished this, but would definately like some feedback. Essentially, the garrote gives some extra options Judo/Wrestling don't have, but at a steep price - you must have spent a decent number of points on both the grappling skill being replaced and on garrote itself. That said, if anyone is in an arena-like game (or similar one-shot-ish campaign) and wants to try these rules out, I'd love to hear the results.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
LynGrey

Seems good somewhat, seems cinematically "clique-y" The reason i say that is that is that.. i can totally see the "Spy" going to garrote someone and it going awry, ie flubs the attack or dispatches a guy just to have his body show up with Slushies. Now said "Spy" Goes to combat with his Garrote in hand and the Goon with slushies. Making it the "oh @#$" emergency situational combat, and not so much a fighting form/art that someone devotes years ltrainign and earning.

I also assume you suggest that the garrote needed with your "Venegeful Cut" is a wire garrote and not a rope, belt, silk tie garrote ;-) hey i like my enemies to enjoy the touch of silk as i suffocate them to their death.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
SuedodeuS

I'm... not certain what you mean by "slushies." If I'm reading your post correctly, however, you're saying that you see this as a desperation tactic rather than an actual combat style. This is as it should be in most cases, although when you have something like the anmaglâhk the concept of them using it as an actual combat tool does work. Notably the potential for a rather favorable grapple (using Guillotine Gambit), or the exceptional damage gained by effectively headlocking and throwing your enemy in one action (Guillotine Throw), can be quite useful. You'd be better off with a sword, but those aren't nearly as concealable - and aren't as easy to improvise.

As for Vengeful Cut, yes, the description (as with all my descriptions, unless explicitly noted) is meant for using a proper wire garrote. There is a section in there for rope garrotes, however, which basically do "shock only" (no actual injury) thr cr when used with Vengeful Cut. This is meant to represent "rope burn" or similar.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS
Defensive use: A garrote can be used defensively against an attacking enemy. Garrotes are Parry -2U weapons. However, the default two-handed grip is actually a Defensive Grip, giving +1 (total -1U) to attacks from the front and -1 (total -3U; generally total -5) to attacks from the side. A garrote can be held with both handles in one hand (Ready maneuver to switch between this one-handed and the default two-handed grip), but can generally only parry thrusts (the GM may make an exception against a weapon such as a pick). Success by 5 or more gives you the option of entangling a parried thrown weapon (see Knife-Thrower, later). A successful parry allows for use of Arm Lock against an unarmed enemy or a Bind Weapon against an armed one. Judo Throw can be used after any such parry, and against an unarmed enemy will damage his arm as described above. Against a kick, a successful parry can be followed up with Leg Grapple.
I personally feel that Garrote is a two handed skill, and has no more than one grip (hands on both ends). One handed use either Whip or Flail skill.
Therefore I would give it a flat -2 to parry. There is no reason to give it an U.
Personally, I think even in a cinematic game the Garroteer should Dodge, though I would allow Binding (A technique which you might wanna add ;)) / Bind Weapon.

Suggestions: As they are so essential, move Stealth and either Whip or Flail skills to the primary skills...
Knife-Thrower should be a cinematic Technique

My Garroteer Style, much simpler than yours ;)
A DF-Style Garrote

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 05-27-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Der Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
LynGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
I'm... not certain what you mean by "slushies."
Slushies are a frozen drink being mainly of crushed ice and fruit :-)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
SuedodeuS

Der Wanderer: It's possible to hold a garrote with both handles in one hand, forming the wire into a loop. This isn't capable of any sort of attack, but could be used to catch thrusted (or swing impaling) weapons and deflect them. I included the U because I don't see it being able to parry immediately after trying to attack someone with it. So far as Binding is concerned, it could make for a good technique when using improvised garrotes, but a proper wire garrote would simply be too small to bind someone up... although it could be usable as something like handcuffs. I'll consider adding the Technique.
The skills of Stealth, Whip, and Flail are not essential to the style. First of all, this style is mostly for when you fail at Stealth - you don't need a dedicated combat style for sneaking up on and strangling somebody! So far as Whip and Flail are concerned, these are actually generally bad ideas to use with a garrote, so I would honestly expect the style to teach people not to try to use them unless absolutely necessary.
Knife-Thrower isn't that cinematic, in my opinion. The ability to catch a knife with the garrote, which is what generally precedes its use, is what's cinematic.

LynGrey: I thought that might be the case, but it seemed odd for a goon to show up carrying a drink like that. I'd expect a soda or some sort of alcohol first.

Thanks for the comments, both of you.

Tags
choke, combat, garrote, martial arts, struggle