Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [DF] Shadowyrm -- One-Shot Beginner Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
If someone would be willing to run Goreblood through their character generation program or just check the math and everything, I'd appreciate it. I typed him out by hand here on the forum.
GCA is giving him a total of [284].

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCA Export Output
Attributes [192]
ST 14 [40] DX 15 [100] IQ 10 HT 14 [40]
HP 15 [2] Will 11 [5] Per 11 [5] FP 14
Basic Lift 39 Damage 1d/2d
Basic Speed 7.25 Basic Move 7
Ground Move 7 Water Move 1
Advantages [89]
Born War-Leader (2) [10] Combat Reflexes [15] Enhanced Parry (Axe/Mace) (1) [5] Fearlessness (2) [4] Fit [5] Hard to Subdue (2) [4] High Pain Threshold [10] Infravision (Unswitchable) [0] Rapid Healing [5] Resistant (Metabolic Hazards) (Very Common) (+3) [10] Teeth (Sharp Teeth) [1] Weapon Master (Axe) (one specific weapon) [20]
Perks [2]
Alcohol Tolerance [1] Weapon Bond (Axe/Mace) [1]
Disadvantages [-58]
Appearance (Ugly) [-8] Bloodlust (12 or less) [-10] Bully (12 or less) [-10] Callous [-5] Sadism (12 or less) [-15] Social Stigma (Savage) (-2) [-10]
Skills [59]
Armoury/TL4 (Melee Weapons) IQ/A - IQ+1 11 [4] Axe/Mace DX/A - DX+6 21 [24] includes: Enhanced Parry (Axe/Mace) Bow DX/A - DX+1 16 [4] Brawling DX/E - DX+1 16 [2] Connoisseur (Weapons) IQ/A - IQ+1 11 [4] Fast-Draw (Axe) DX/E - DX+1 16 [1] includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes' Hiking HT/A - HT-1 13 [1] Intimidation Will/A - Will-1 10 [1] Knife DX/E - DX+0 15 [1] Leadership IQ/A - IQ+1 11 [1] includes: +2 from 'Born War-Leader' Observation Per/A - Per-1 10 [1] Scrounging Per/E - Per+0 11 [1] Shield (Shield) DX/E - DX+1 16 [2] Stealth DX/A - DX-1 14 [1] Strategy (Land) IQ/H - IQ+1 11 [2] includes: +2 from 'Born War-Leader' Streetwise IQ/A - IQ-1 9 [1] Tactics IQ/H - IQ+1 11 [2] includes: +2 from 'Born War-Leader' Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace) DX/E - DX+2 17 [4] Wrestling DX/A - DX+0 15 [2]

Stats [192] Ads [89] Disads [-58] Quirks [0] Skills [59] = Total [284]

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 06-27-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
I get 296 from GCS:
Attributes: 190
Advantages: 133
Disadvantages: -88
Quirks: 0
Skills: 61
Spells: 0
Race: 0 (Goblin Package)
Earned: 296
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
This is an awesome project. I love the page references for everything. :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
QFT - looking forward to this, too.
Thanks, though I hope your favorite parts aren't the page references! ;D

I'm having a bit of difficulty resolving why practically everything doesn't go down in area 3. It has considerable tactical advantage. Guards really should be placed there rather than in area 2 (for one reason, because they can't escape to warn the others of intruders). If I make a secret escape for area 2, then the goblins won't be there and it will be an empty room. Not good. Plus, a secret escape would lead to the illuminated area, too much of a shortcut into the dungeon if the players find it...

EDIT: Easily fixed. The entrance cannot be seen from atop the cliff due to the stalactites.

EDIT x2: Also, the dragon is gone throughout most of the time the players are in the cavern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Archive View Post
Wow, talk about depth of descriptions and tactical information. I really like the formatting for the descriptive passages, I may have to steal that for my works. :D

I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the adventure!
Thanks! Your enthusiasm is motivational. :)

I can't stress enough to new GMs how important atmosphere is to players, and the way a GM creates atmosphere is by detailed, creative descriptions for nearly everything: areas, NPCs, monsters, treasure, traps, etc.

I wasn't going to add descriptive passages until your one-shot dungeon inspired me to bring out my A-game! :D

The descriptive passages are old school. They were in every D&D dungeon from first through second edition. Actually, come to think of it, I have a bunch of new-ish Pathfinder adventures and I just checked; they all have them too, so I guess they're still par for course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Wow! You guys are mading my Gm life a lot easier! Now have DF adventures for all the year! The good think is that it's easy to link this adventure, to the Brokenhand barbarian one and even Mirror of the Fire Deomon and the old Castle Everglory!

Thank you, thank you!
You're very welcome!

If someone would be willing to run Goreblood through their character generation program or just check the math and everything, I'd appreciate it. I typed him out by hand here on the forum.

His equipment isn't finished yet and his story is still a bit rough.

He should come out 36 points over budget for a standard 250/-50/-5-point Knight because I bought off the goblin IQ-1 and Cowardice for 30 points, didn't take the -5 points of quirks, and took 1 extra point in a skill. I took appropriate disadvantages for his character rather than the ones in the PC template, of course.

Any suggestions on making him a better character will be considered as well. But, I'd much, much rather someone run his numbers to make sure I didn't get off anywhere.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
I get 296 from GCS:
Attributes: 190
Advantages: 133
Disadvantages: -88
Quirks: 0
Spells: 0
Race: 0 (Goblin Package)
Earned: 296

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to run him though your GCA programs! I really appreciate it.

I added quirks and reduced his point total by 5.

Like I say, I bought off his goblin IQ-1 for 20 points and Cowardice for 10 points. I also added 1 point to a skill. That's 31 points.

Sunrunner -- The Infravision added by the Goblin template is the 10-point version. Also, I don't see a "No Cowardice" advantage for 10 points. So, that's 20 points right there, if I'm reading things correctly.

Wraithe -- My math gives me 98 points of disads counting what's in the goblin template, exactly 10 more than yours if you count the quirks. Perhaps you forgot to add a -10 point disad? If so, we have the same point total.

All said and done, my point total comes out to what it should be for the knight template with five quirks and adding 31 points... Whipping out my calculator I get:

Attributes: 190 points.
Advantages: 85, NOT counting what's included in the Goblin template (133 if so).
Disadvantages: -50, NOT counting what's included in the Goblin template (98 if so).
Quirks: -5
Total: 281

I counted 48 positive points in the goblin template and 48 negative points for a total of 0 points.

If canonical DF characters should come out to 250 points counting the -5 in quirks, then if you add 31 points to that, you get 281. Now, I'm not saying the results of point expenditure are 100% correct, but the actual point total is exactly what I expected...

So, I'm finished checking this guy unless someone can find specifically where I've gone wrong if I have.

EDIT: Wait. Looking at that, am I counting the disads for attributes twice?
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman

Last edited by Stripe; 07-14-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to run him though your GCA programs! I really appreciate it.

I added quirks and reduced his point total by 5.

Like I say, I bought off his goblin IQ-1 for 20 points and Cowardice for 10 points. I also added 1 point to a skill. That's 31 points.

Sunrunner -- The Infravision added by the Goblin template is the 10-point version. Also, I don't see a "No Cowardice" advantage for 10 points. So, that's 20 points right there, if I'm reading things correctly.
You also don't see a "Cowardice" disadvantage for the "No Cowardice" to negate. :) I didn't include a "Goblin" template. Including said template wouldn't have changed the final prices anywise, as templates don't change the prices of the traits they package.

Changing "Infravision" from (Unswitchable) to (Switchable) increases the total by [10], up to [294] ... and then you added [-5] in quirks, taking the total to [289]. :grins:

Quote:
So, I'm finished checking this guy unless someone can find specifically where I've gone wrong if I have.
Its' a NPC. Its' precise point value isn't necessarily important.

EDIT: Scrounging is Perception/Easy. Paying [1] gives you Per+0 which is 11 or less, not 10 or less as you have listed on the sheet.

Quote:
EDIT: Wait. Looking at that, am I counting the disads for attributes twice?
Heh. I would suggest checking your numbers as if you had built the character without templates. Hmm. I may build it out in a Google Docs format and then PM you a link for it ...

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 06-27-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Stripe

Thanks for noticing I needed to up Scrounging!

So, you have 289 and I have 281... Wonder where that 8 points is?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #16
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Hmm. I may build it out in a Google Docs format and then PM you a link for it ...
Quote:
Thanks for noticing I needed to up Scrounging!

So, you have 289 and I have 281... Wonder where that 8 points is?
Spreadsheet built and linky sent via PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #17
Stripe

My PM box is full. XD

Looking over it now...

Oh, I removed that quirk about complements.

Looks like you fixed everything, and we're both at 281 now.

So, does that mean he's all clear?! XD

Thanks a lot! :D

Last edited by Stripe; 06-28-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #18
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
My PM box is full. XD
hehe

Quote:
Looking over it now...
Resistant to Metabolic hazards should be 10 points...
Fixed.

Quote:
Unnatural Feature is a leveled quirk, I believe. Regardless, it's -2...
GCA tells me its' a disadvantage and so I left it under that category. Incremented the level and adjusted the value.

Quote:
I'm going over skills now, but I'm as certain as I can be that there are 61 points in them. Wraithe also came to that number...
Found it. You have 2 points for skill 16 in shield, which is right, but I have 4 points in that skill (and erroneously skill level 16). Should be 17.
That said, we're in line as far as what has been taken that I can tell... Double checking...
Fixed.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
Stripe

So, after taking out the quirk about complements, we're both at 281, the correct amount for this character, right? :)

Oh, I see the total up at the top and it says 280 (so, 281). Very nifty.

I'd say he's straight now, with the corrections you gave me to make! :D

Thank you very, very much! :)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
apoc527

This is great stuff, Stripe! I eagerly await the next installment.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, dungeon fantasy, map