Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 AM   #1
draxdeveloper

Default Power that require "fascination"

In my setting, gods feed of the fascination. Fascination is a concept similar to the fact that gods feed from faith but it's more ample. Fascination is a recognition of superiority and faith is a source but it's not the only one. (fear and lust are examples of other sources)

That said, demigods also have the need of fascination and thus this is a power modifier.

The modifier do two things:

If the character is not receiving fascination, the power will stop working... I am thinking that this part could be represented as periodic recharge, but i don't know if it's qualifies.

The other thing is that causes addiction... But i don't know how to detail it.
It could be cheap because anyone is able to give fascination in theory, but they need a high level of fascination (as in receiving from a significant group of persons). To give a reference, nothing smaller than a digital "influencer" with thousand followers (something like 2 or 3 thousand). The simple fact of someone thinking on that character will send fascination. It's totally addictive (in fact, it's impossible to completely withdraw from the addiction) . It's of course, legal. My doubt on that part is the "cost".

I don't know if the addiction should be cheap or expensive and i also don't know the fact that you can't withdraw should raise the cost. You can fight the effects of don't having it, but you have to roll everyday and will never stop doing it. And it's still hard to overcome it (maybe at -5 but you can't really withdraw)

Last edited by draxdeveloper; 07-31-2019 at 01:03 AM.
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:12 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Power that require "fascination"

I like using Requires Maintenance as a model for worship and can see it as related here. Also an Energy Reserve with a imitation on recharging.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:48 AM   #3
whswhs

I suggest taking a look at the Fickle modifier in GURPS Powers. It usually applies to powers that depend on the favor of a spirit, but in this case it would depend on the favor of mortal worshippers/followers.

Another option would be to buy the abilities with Granted by Familiar (see Allies in the Basic Set).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
draxdeveloper

Yep, fascination will be a energy reserve. I will look requires maintenance and fickle.

But here some extra things.

Demigods need 2 points of fascination per day to maintain his addiction, also, "1 point of fascination = 2 FP".

200 mortals = 1 point of fascination, but the fascination can have different concentrations...

weak fascination generate half of it, so 400 mortals (weak) = 1 point
feeble fascination it's 1/4, so 800 mortals = 1 point
high fascination generates double, so 200 mortals = 1 point
very high fascination generates four times, so 100 mortals = 1 point
And fanatical fascination generates eight times, so 50 mortals = 1 point

All in all, i will not count each mortal, so i think in making a "fascination roll" and this will depends on the skill relative to it. If it's comes from fear then would be intimidation. Maybe 1 success = 1 point?

Also... What about the addiction? How could I make a addiction that you can't overcame? Like, you never will loose it but you can shove the effects for a day if have a successful roll with -5. Don't seem to be fair say that it's just a -5, maybe -10?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
Also... What about the addiction? How could I make a addiction that you can't overcame? Like, you never will loose it but you can shove the effects for a day if have a successful roll with -5. Don't seem to be fair say that it's just a -5, maybe -10?
I'd look at Dependancy to model that, youll likely want to tweak it but thats a good starting place.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'd look at Dependancy to model that, youll likely want to tweak it but thats a good starting place.
Dependence the user takes damage, the gods have this but demigods just have a addiction.

But it's a addiction you never will withdraw
Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

So what I did in my gods game was treat "faith" as new trait (Ethera) that was reskinned Impulse Points. Ethera could only be regained by doing godly acts (I had a chart) and could be lost by neglecting your followers. This made it so all god powers were character point required. It worked quite well.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
So what I did in my gods game was treat "faith" as new trait (Ethera) that was reskinned Impulse Points. Ethera could only be regained by doing godly acts (I had a chart) and could be lost by neglecting your followers. This made it so all god powers were character point required. It worked quite well.
It's a nice idea

Tags
addiction, power, power modifiers