Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2023, 01:29 AM   #1
Kaslak

Default [Realm Management] Taxation and MBF + CR limit on TL

Hi, I have a couple of questions.

Reading the rules in Realm Management, in regards to the High (Low) Taxation enhancement (limitation) I understood that the Control Rating for the sole purpose of taxation determines only the Revenue Factor (RF), but not the Military budget factor (MBF) - which depends on base CR and mobilization status.

Especially considering on Pg. 30 "The GM may assign a higher or lower effective CR for use in determining military mobilization." seems to reinforce this assumption. I was also thinking to use the High/Low taxation realm enhancement and limitation to create an analogous one called High/Low mobilization.

However, since CR encompasses several factors, and the limited enhancement is worth already 50% of the CR increase, I was wondering if I misunderstood or it should be different, i.e. if High/Low taxation encompass both MBF and RF, and the further narrowed down enhancements would be worth even less.

The second doubt is related to the TL limit for CR. A TL3 society has a maximum CR of 4, in mundane settings (Realm Management pg 12).

However, Feudal societies have typical CR values between 5 and 6. It makes sense, that effective control rating (as opposed to how laws are written) would be hard to enforce in a low TL society, so I wonder if the effect of high Conformity rating (+1 or +2 effective CR for behaviors outside the social norm, including criminal) could also be house-ruled to allow to buy an additional +1/+2 of CR (not cumulative with the above mentioned effect). What do you think? Would otherwise simply adding "except when allowed by the typical government values" as an exception to the CR limit be a more elegant solution in terms of game narrative?
Kaslak is offline   Reply With Quote