Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Empada

Default Desing a Weird Power

Hi, one of my groups decided to start a campaign in GURPS. They want to play Supers, and the setting will be cold war with powers.

one of the players want to play a character who have 2 independent bodies and only one mind, and other powers

so, I want to now how to price this and see if I'm missing something.

1 - for the 2 bodies I wold buy one level of Duplication (BS 50) and put some limitation as they don't merge together, -20% is a good value? also, if one of the bodies die it's lost, and the other continues.

2 - He wants constant communication with each other, so Telecommunication (BS91) (diapsiquia, don't know it in English) but only to him (-X% limitation) and aways on (+X% enhancement)

3 - he wants to know where the other body is (Ex. if one is knocked down) so, Detect (BS48) rare 5 pts, precision enhancement +100%, and "use long distance modifiers instead of normal distance modifiers" enhancement (+X%)

4 - does he need to buy ATR to act once with each body or duplication already cover this?

5 - does he need to buy compartmentalized mind to talk (or do other mental stuff) with someone with each body.

6 - If he wants to have one power in only one body, how should I price the limitation?

Thanks in advance
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Desing a Weird Power

Ally; Puppet; Possession with Telecontrol, Independence, and Puppets Only. Or drop Independence and add Compartmentalized Mind with One Ability, Possession.

This is assuming that the two bodies are actually different, like Eight in The Specials.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
4 - does he need to buy ATR to act once with each body or duplication already cover this?

5 - does he need to buy compartmentalized mind to talk (or do other mental stuff) with someone with each body.

6 - If he wants to have one power in only one body, how should I price the limitation?
I have seen but was unable to find on a quick search the limitation for Mindlink or Telesend (duplicates only) but think it was-40%.
Each body is independent so you do not need ATR or Compartmentalized Mind. These Three advantages are really are in the same vein and different modes.
As for your last question I use the One Skill Only limitation, -20% for that.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

A super with ATR 1, Compartmentalized Mind 1, and Duplication 1 would be able to make four physical actions per turn and eight mental actions per turn. I would also give them a mental attack with Malediction, so that they could attack eight times per second. The optimal arrangement would probably be ATR 1, Compartmentalized Mind 2, and Duplicated 3, which would twenty-four mental attacks per turn.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A super with ATR 1, Compartmentalized Mind 1, and Duplication 1 would be able to make four physical actions per turn and eight mental actions per turn. I would also give them a mental attack with Malediction, so that they could attack eight times per second. The optimal arrangement would probably be ATR 1, Compartmentalized Mind 2, and Duplicated 3, which would twenty-four mental attacks per turn.
Ignore the flavor text of ATR. It adds one maneuver per turn, per Kromm. Likewise, Comp Mind adds 1 mental maneuver per turn. You're right about Duplication, though, it does multiply CM or ATR, because each body has its own turn.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=16
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Then it is more cost effective to purchase Duplication 4 and Extra Attack 4 with Multiattack. You can make 25 attacks per turn for 260 points.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Then it is more cost effective to purchase Duplication 4 and Extra Attack 4 with Multiattack. You can make 25 attacks per turn for 260 points.
Four PCs is free. Enough wealth to hire 5.25 dudes each is significantly less than 260 points.

I don't think the OP is after the cheapest way to make 25 attacks per turn though.

Personally having been down this road before, I wouldn't allow that, since it means that your turn will take forever.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Empada

Thank you all for the ansers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Ally; Puppet; Possession with Telecontrol, Independence, and Puppets Only. Or drop Independence and add Compartmentalized Mind with One Ability, Possession.

This is assuming that the two bodies are actually different, like Eight in The Specials.
in this particular case, he wants something like a twin, two identical bodies. But I will try this build to see the total value
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Ignore the flavor text of ATR. It adds one maneuver per turn, per Kromm. Likewise, Comp Mind adds 1 mental maneuver per turn. You're right about Duplication, though, it does multiply CM or ATR, because each body has its own turn.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=16
Quote:
good to know, it helped me understand how these advantages work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Four PCs is free. Enough wealth to hire 5.25 dudes each is significantly less than 260 points.

I don't think the OP is after the cheapest way to make 25 attacks per turn though.

Personally having been down this road before, I wouldn't allow that, since it means that your turn will take forever.
yeah, my objective is to find a good and fair way to represent a super with this power.
Well, I consider the points 4, 5 and 6 clarified. Any other ideas on the topics 1, 2 and 3?
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
1 - for the 2 bodies I wold buy one level of Duplication (BS 50) and put some limitation as they don't merge together, -20% is a good value? also, if one of the bodies die it's lost, and the other continues.
I'd call -20% good for this, yeah. Note that "if your duplicate dies, it's gone and the other keeps going" is the default for Duplication. Not being able to spend points to buy a new dupe is probably not worth much as a limitation (GURPS generally doesn't give limitations for "you can't spend points on this"), but I might be persuaded to say it's -5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada
2 - He wants constant communication with each other, so Telecommunication (BS91) (diapsiquia, don't know it in English) but only to him (-X% limitation) and aways on (+X% enhancement)
I'd call this Telecommunication (Telesend) with -80% for "one other person only", and Mindlink. That will make their Telesend always on, in the sense that they never need to make rolls to use it. Is this intended to be a deeper communication than simply exchanging mental "speech", though? If they can exchange sensory information as well as talk, that's the Sensie enhancement on Telesend, while if the idea is that they can't even lie or deceive one another through the link, I'd call that Temporary Disadvantage (Truthfulness, self-control none), for -5% (Temporary Disadvantage: Truthfulness would normally be -12.5%, but that would make you Truthful to everyone while using Telesend, so I'm halving the value, since it only applies to the other person, then rounding down to -5% for neatness).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada
3 - he wants to know where the other body is (Ex. if one is knocked down) so, Detect (BS48) rare 5 pts, precision enhancement +100%, and "use long distance modifiers instead of normal distance modifiers" enhancement (+X%)
That sounds right, though you might want to put "Cannot Analyse" on it as well - that's from Psionic Powers, and means you can't make a roll to analyse the target of the Detect after noting its presence and location, which sounds like you wouldn't be doing anyway. Using Long-Distance instead of regular range is the Long-Ranged enhancement, worth +50% (Powers, p. 108).

I'd also be inclined to put a further -50% limitation on Detect, "Extremely Small Category", since even a Rare category normally covers a lot more than just one other person.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Thank you all for the ansers.

in this particular case, he wants something like a twin, two identical bodies. But I will try this build to see the total value
Duplication seems significantly underpriced compared to Ally, so it probably is your cheapest option and has the advantage of the player controlling all dupes, so all you need is Duplication, Telesend (Racial) and Mindlink.

You definitely don't need ATR or CM; the dupe already gets a turn.

Trying to figure out what the value of a "cannot remerge" limitation is, is difficult. If you compare Duplication to Ally, a same value constantly available sunmonable ally is 40 points and Duplication with No Sympathetic Injury is 42 points, so unless I am missing something, being under player control and being able to remerge are 1 point each. Sometimes "Cannot Remerge" is a whole -2% limitation.

Tags
detect, drains familiar, duplication, power, psi, telecommunication