Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
Anders

Default Affliction and Size Modifier

I'm thinking of making the HT roll vs. Afflictions with certain modifications (like Blood Agent) get a bonus equal to Size Modifier, making it easier to Afflict small creatures and more difficult to Afflict large creatures. This would give some bonuses to large Size Modifier, which is otherwise not a very good deal. What do you think?
Old 02-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Affliction and Size Modifier

I'm not sure why it that principle shouldn't be extended to a much larger subset of Afflictions.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'm thinking of making the HT roll vs. Afflictions with certain modifications (like Blood Agent) get a bonus equal to Size Modifier, making it easier to Afflict small creatures and more difficult to Afflict large creatures. This would give some bonuses to large Size Modifier, which is otherwise not a very good deal. What do you think?
Hard to say. Which modifications exactly get this is important. However, in my opinion the cost of affliction at base is too high. The first level might be right, but each -1 costs that same price again. So anything that makes leveled Afflictions worse, I am normally against.

Last edited by Lia Valenth; 02-26-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
Lia Valenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Anders

Well, it also makes Afflictions better against small targets, like Halflings.

Peter, I think it would be inappropriate for things like Maledictions but for my purpose (a stunning sound beam) it fits perfectly.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Leynok

I honestly like the idea of modifying the HT roll from Afflictions by your SM.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Clockwork_Virus

For effects that are dosage-dependent (like most Blood Agents are), I think it's very appropriate.

Though I'm wondering if this can be more finely-tuned by making the bonus more directly linked to mass, e.g. by basing it on HP rather than SM.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
For effects that are dosage-dependent (like most Blood Agents are), I think it's very appropriate.

Though I'm wondering if this can be more finely-tuned by making the bonus more directly linked to mass, e.g. by basing it on HP rather than SM.
Probably, but that would be complex. The SM is a fine proxy.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Probably, but that would be complex. The SM is a fine proxy.
Personally, I like the idea of rebuilding most Afflictions as Innate Attacks with No Wounding (+No Knockback, etc) and Symptoms - if the attack makes it through DR, the target has to make an HT roll, penalized based on how much damage made it through, or suffer the Symptom effects.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Remember powers alread has something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers p.40
Afflictions and Inanimate Targets
[...]the GM should let unliving, homogenous, and diffuse targets add their SM to their resistance roll [...]. If modified HT comes to 21+ after applying SM and the Affiction's HT modifier, resistance is automatic — nothing happens
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Remember powers alread has something like this.
I thought that was the base assumption. Afflictions are all or nothing type deals rather than nickel and diming straight damaging attacks. I assumed that more or less "all" would hinder or help the resistance roll.
But SM for characters is kind of all over the place to even whether it should be an advantage, disadvantage, or feature. But as long as the GM is very careful to keep small sizes from becoming noticeable disadvantages, I would prefer the aforementioned rule.

Tags
affliction, afflictions, size modifier