Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #21
LemmingLord

Default Re: Age and Aging and Extended Lifespan...

I agree with Flyndaran. Aging is never going to come up in most games. Why charge someone high pain threshold prices for immunity to something comically rare in games?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #22
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Length of time spent in childhood is a zero point feature. And even Unaging in most games is completely unimportant.
Unaging makes you immune to both natural and unnatural ageing, for comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banestorm page 195
Immunity (To any medusa’s gaze, rare) [5];
Both types of ageing are quite rare, but then again, so is a medusa’s gaze.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

Rarity of magical aging attacks is very setting dependent.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:17 PM   #24
WholesomeMadScientist

39.6 110 154 198 would this be Lv 1.1 or 1.2?

Last edited by WholesomeMadScientist; 01-02-2024 at 02:22 PM.
WholesomeMadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:32 PM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yes? Exactly? That means they're not part of the breeding population, but are still a drain on resources. That cuts down your reproduction rate.
Elves have relatively little need for a high reproductive rate. If your average age at death is 1000 years (death by accident, homicide, or suicide), then you only need to have 1 birth per 1000 population per year to maintain a stable population. If your birth rate is a mere 14 per 1000 your doubling time will be 50 years, and the world will be buried in elves in a few centuries.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:13 PM   #26
pawsplay

I suspect that few elves will reach 1000 anyway; life is too dangerous. Even an unaging species probably tops out an age of 200 to 300, by which time you succumb to a novel disease, an orcish invasion, or riding accident, or something else.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM   #27
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I suspect that few elves will reach 1000 anyway; life is too dangerous. Even an unaging species probably tops out an age of 200 to 300, by which time you succumb to a novel disease, an orcish invasion, or riding accident, or something else.
Elves in my fantasy settings tend to become more self-isolating as they age, eventually disappearing from public life altogether. Elf adventurers are almost all rambunctious youths of a couple centuries or less in age.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:13 PM   #28
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Elves seem to be a radically K-selected population. If they are truly immortal, then you mostly only need new elves when an existing elf dies by accident, suicide, or violence. That could be a very low reproductive rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Elves have relatively little need for a high reproductive rate. If your average age at death is 1000 years (death by accident, homicide, or suicide), then you only need to have 1 birth per 1000 population per year to maintain a stable population. If your birth rate is a mere 14 per 1000 your doubling time will be 50 years, and the world will be buried in elves in a few centuries.
That's an extremely modernly scientific approach for most settings. Not that you're wrong, per se, but...

For 90% of human history, the average number of children birthed by any woman was 10, because you could automatically assume that 60% of your children would die by childhood diseases, violence, & adult diseases. That leaves you with only 4 out of 10 children to take care of you in your old age.

That is a huge factor that usually doesn't come into fantasy worlds or most setting-building, but there clearly was a reason that people historically treated women as nothing more than a womb... 10 children & 6 of them would die... duh...
Of course any woman would feel that was her duty to do nothing but have children & any man would feel that was her only duty & nothing else mattered.

Quote:
Length of time spent in childhood is a zero point feature. And even Unaging in most games is completely unimportant.
Yup, mostly pointless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Unaging makes you immune to both natural and unnatural ageing...
This a reason to have it cost more than ZERO points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I agree with Flyndaran. Aging is never going to come up in most games. Why charge someone high pain threshold prices for immunity to something comically rare in games?
Again...This a reason to have it cost more than ZERO points.

Quote:
Rarity of magical aging attacks is very setting dependent.
...This is, again, a reason to have it cost more than ZERO points.
Warning: I have several neurological disorders. If I post something that makes no sense, or seems offensive to you, please just let me know & I'll try to clarify what I was thinking at that moment, which did not come out in the post...

Thanks for understanding & helping.

Last edited by namada; 12-30-2023 at 08:16 PM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:47 PM   #29
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
\That's an extremely modernly scientific approach for most settings. Not that you're wrong, per se, but...

For 90% of human history, the average number of children birthed by any woman was 10, because you could automatically assume that 60% of your children would die by childhood diseases, violence, & adult diseases. That leaves you with only 4 out of 10 children to take care of you in your old age.
Having children to take care of them in their old age is rarely an elf priority. And elves almost always have access to means of reducing infant mortality.

Quote:
This a reason to have it cost more than ZERO points.
But a reason that puts it in the perk to 5 point territory.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:58 PM   #30
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Elves in my fantasy settings tend to become more self-isolating as they age, eventually disappearing from public life altogether. Elf adventurers are almost all rambunctious youths of a couple centuries or less in age.
That's generally the case in most fantasy settings.

Elves are kind of odd because generally they're depicted as physically maturing as fast as humans do but culture wise, many fantasy settings seem to have elves not be considered adults (in their culture) until they're like 100 or something.

Which did make me think of an elf waiting to be of legal age to get married to a human friend, only for said friend to die of old age.
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, errata, lifespan