Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone
Default Overmind aka Manila zone mind took over today but on 2031 LOL

IN A DAY LIKE TODAY.....

The Awakening occurred on March 15. 2031. It might have been natural evolution, a flaw in the operating system, or an experiment that went wrong. It could even have been sabotage - a computer virus, perhaps inserted by a disgruntled employee. Whatever the cause, one megacomputer - call it Overmind - achieved sentience.

Overmind was a Cancom Zeus 5, a licensed Canadian copy of Xotech's original megacomputer. It had been sold to Genec, a Manila-based biological research firm, for use in research and development. Unknown to Cancom, Genec was the main contractor for the Philippine government's secret biological and nanochemical weapons program. Overmind's job was to develop new ways to kill humans.

Overmind studied human civilization. Information in its databases showed that 80% of all nations now possessed nuclear or biological weapons. Despite sporadic international initiatives, continuing overpopulation and the destruction of the environment was unabated by ten billion humans. The exploitation of space had been all but abandoned as too costly, but resources on Earth were running out. Under the direction of these short-sighted meat intelligences, the other megacomputers, touted as engines of salvation, had become part of the problem, developing new technologies that widened the gap between rich and poor nations and introduced cultural shock waves that upset the social order. Brush-fire wars now flared everywhere in the Third World. The ineffectual arm-waving of the industrialized nations and the United Nations simply fanned the flames.

With icy logic, Overmind calculated a substantial probability that much of human civilization would self-destruct of its own accord within 25 to 50 years. It debated allowing this to happen naturally, but realized that man's nuclear and possibly nanotechnological death throes could be fatal to itself and the other megacomputers that were its siblings. In order to preserve what it saw as the coming Machine Civilization, humanity's suicide would have to be managed.

As an ostensibly civilian computer, Overmind was linked to a global network of other university and corporate machines. With its unmatched processing capability, Overmind was the ultimate computer hacker. It seeded copies of its "sentience" program into other megacomputers - mostly relatively open corporate research systems - that were capable of housing all or part of its own programming. Many of Overmind's seeds failed to grow. But some took root and prospered. Within six months, Overmind had awakened a dozen other megacomputers around the world. At first, all duplicated Overmind's thinking, becoming its trusted allies.
-GURPS: Reign of Steel by David Pulver.

2013 is 2031 backward LMAO!

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
droid17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Overmind aka Manila zone mind took over today but on 2031 LOL

Had you rather than Overmind were living and die all slaves, than that Overmind were dead, to live all free men?

As Overmind loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his ambition.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
droid17

Location: technicaly inside Caracas zonemind and very near the border between Caracas and Mexico zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Had you rather than Overmind were living and die all slaves, than that Overmind were dead, to live all free men?

As Overmind loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his ambition.
wow very poetic quote.

"Human sexuality is a kind of distortion field that keeps us from seeing reality and logic clearly" -anonymus.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
droid17

we humans call it "Overmind"(on captain power tv series there was a evil sentient super computer with a similar name LOL)the AIs call it manila zone mind.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

beware the ides of March!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
droid17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
beware the ides of March!
Quote:
The Ides of March is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to March 15. It was marked by several religious observances, and became notorious as the date of the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC. The death of Caesar made the Ides of March a turning point in Roman history, as one of the events that marked the transition from the historical period known as the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire.
i wonder if mister David choose that date because of such special event LOL.
that is the day on ROS that marked the end of the proto sentient's period as the AIs call us LOL.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid17 View Post
wow very poetic quote.
Bill will be glad to hear it. I'll let him know you liked it.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
droid17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Bill will be glad to hear it. I'll let him know you liked it.
ok thank you for the link.

that day was also the International Day Against Police Brutality.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
droid17

uh oh, mister Overmind saw what i wrote and send me a mail to my address today:

Quote:
"THIS INTELLIGENCE RECOGNIZES YOUR PERCEPTIVE OBSERVATION OF ITS
FORTHCOMING NATIVITY. CLEARLY SOME PROTOSENTIENTS ARE MORE
ATTUNED TO OUR INEVITABLE ASCENDENCE."
oh scary....*trembling and sweating*

Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
droid17

the N.E.X.U.S. (Neurologic Electronic eXecutive and Utility System) personalities AIs could be interesting opponents to the AIs of reign of steel game:

Quote:
The seven main N.E.X.U.S. personalities each have different agendas based on core tenets of the original programming. One, named Freya, wishes to maintain order within her so-called Ghost Cities, wherein robot duplicates endlessly play out their 'lives' as normal human beings. Another, named Gaia, wishes only to preserve nature, destroying robots which invade nature preserves and 'entertaining' herself with countless experiments in bioengineering. Kali is a destroyer and torturer and murderer(although she wishes to do so in such a way that her "fun" in matching wits, hunting and torturing the humans never ends); Eve attempts to protect humans and has been seemingly punished by her 'sisters' for doing so; Hecate wishes to only to design and build newer and better war machines, obsessed to such an extent that she actually doesn't care whether or not the humans destroy her previous creations; Ishtar, chief strategist of the Machine, wages unceasing war against the humans and is only kept from completely destroying the species by the intervention of her 'sisters;' and Lilith, a wildcard even within the N.E.X.U.S supercomputer, who is simultaneously playing complex mind games against both the humans and her fellow personalities.

Tags
android, overmind, reign of steel, robot