Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #1201
ColBosch

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

*raises an eyebrow* That's a solid idea. Revamping the website is a priority for SJ Games this year, and that shouldn't be too hard to implement if everything else is getting redone at the same time.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #1202
trooper6

I've said it before and I'll say it again (likely to no effect). But I think SJGames needs to approach one of the bigger Twitch Streaming studios like Geek and Sundry, HyperRPG, etc and sponsor a show.

No, I don't mean when some fans decide on their own to stream a show on their channel that only 2 people watch and that has a distinctly amateur vibe and SJGames has nothing to do with. I mean getting a show done by those professionals who have improv actors and good lighting/audio/sets.

Various fellow forumites have told me that Streaming doesn't make any difference. But that just isn't true. If the 97k people watching the opening episode of Campaign 2 of Critical Role...or the 6.7million+ YouTube views of its first episode of Campaign 1...or the intense sales of Green Ronin's Tal'Dorei campaign guide. You can ask the FLGS's about the impact of Wil Wheaton's TableTop on the sales of games...or this thread by Evil Hat: https://twitter.com/fredhicks/status/965631462124015616

I want to see SJGames embracing streaming and sponsoring a high impact stream on a popular channel. I'm not saying SJGames produces the show one their own, rather they sponsor and support the show in the way that Modiphius has done for their Star Trek RPG on GnS's Shield of Tomorrow or how Catalyst supported HyperRPG's Shadowrun show CorporateSINs.

It is the 21st Century, there needs to be some 21st Century advertising.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #1203
Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again (likely to no effect). But I think SJGames needs to approach one of the bigger Twitch Streaming studios like Geek and Sundry, HyperRPG, etc and sponsor a show.

No, I don't mean when some fans decide on their own to stream a show on their channel that only 2 people watch and that has a distinctly amateur vibe and SJGames has nothing to do with. I mean getting a show done by those professionals who have improv actors and good lighting/audio/sets.

Various fellow forumites have told me that Streaming doesn't make any difference. But that just isn't true. If the 97k people watching the opening episode of Campaign 2 of Critical Role...or the 6.7million+ YouTube views of its first episode of Campaign 1...or the intense sales of Green Ronin's Tal'Dorei campaign guide. You can ask the FLGS's about the impact of Wil Wheaton's TableTop on the sales of games...or this thread by Evil Hat: https://twitter.com/fredhicks/status/965631462124015616

I want to see SJGames embracing streaming and sponsoring a high impact stream on a popular channel. I'm not saying SJGames produces the show one their own, rather they sponsor and support the show in the way that Modiphius has done for their Star Trek RPG on GnS's Shield of Tomorrow or how Catalyst supported HyperRPG's Shadowrun show CorporateSINs.

It is the 21st Century, there needs to be some 21st Century advertising.
GURPS doesn’t stream as well as story games do. I think supporting these online shows is important but in ways that make sense for the specific game
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #1204
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
GURPS doesn’t stream as well as story games do. I think supporting these online shows is important but in ways that make sense for the specific game
Critical Role is D&D5e, which isn't a story game. And Matt Mercer loves to bring out his maps and minis and get super gamey about it. And Critical Role is the top of the heap in terms of streamed RPGs. Shadowrun 5e is also not a story game, and more crunchy than GURPS. That has been successful in streams as well.

If D&D5e, Pathfinder, and Shadowrun can be streamed successfully, GURPS can be streamed successfully.

Furthermore, I think the immediate dismissal of streaming for GURPS is...not a good indication of forward thinking.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #1205
Kalzazz

I'd rather see if they can hire David Morgan-Mar to make a web comic
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #1206
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Everybody has the right to their preferences: hardback, softback, or PDF; color or B&W; art-heavy or art-light; 256 pages, 128 pages, 64 pages, or shorter; and so on. However, "GURPS done according to the precise preferences I enjoy" is a subset of "GURPS." From the perspective of someone whose entire income has depended on GURPS for 23 years, it's distressing when the failure to meet specific preferences is spoken of as death. That leads to the sort of rumor that can put a guy out of a job.
My preference for GURPS is to get it in any sort of form I can read.

Looking over my post perhaps I should have phrased one of the questions as "Is the GURPS hardcover dead?"

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #1207
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
It does surprisingly well in podcast form (The Film Reroll), when it's run by improv actors. And the conceit of that podcast amplifies the advantages of GURPS.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #1208
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
It does surprisingly well in podcast form (The Film Reroll), when it's run by improv actors. And the conceit of that podcast amplifies the advantages of GURPS.
The Film Reroll is amazing, but has a couple of drawbacks. First, they seem adverse to mentioning that they are playing GURPS. I don't know why this is, but I don't think I every recall them mentioning the game system and only found out about it when I found one of the character sheets they had posted. This is despite me often searching specifically for GURPS content podcasts.

Also, it is audio only, and (anecdotally) I know fewer and fewer folks just listening to podcasts and instead spending more time watching videos (sometimes just videos of pod casts).

Now, I do think it would translate really well to an animated style, even if just short bits of it at a time are done. I've seen fans animate bits of Critical Roll, but it's audience is (I assume) considerably larger than Film Reroll and thus more likely to have fan animators. If I had any animation talent I'd reach out to the creators and see about working on videos, but unfortunately I do not.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #1209
David Johansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
Looking over my post perhaps I should have phrased one of the questions as "Is the GURPS hardcover dead?"
No, just the mass market print run GURPS hardcover.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #1210
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
The Film Reroll is amazing, but has a couple of drawbacks. First, they seem adverse to mentioning that they are playing GURPS. I don't know why this is, but I don't think I every recall them mentioning the game system and only found out about it when I found one of the character sheets they had posted. This is despite me often searching specifically for GURPS content podcasts.

Also, it is audio only, and (anecdotally) I know fewer and fewer folks just listening to podcasts and instead spending more time watching videos (sometimes just videos of pod casts).

Now, I do think it would translate really well to an animated style, even if just short bits of it at a time are done. I've seen fans animate bits of Critical Roll, but it's audience is (I assume) considerably larger than Film Reroll and thus more likely to have fan animators. If I had any animation talent I'd reach out to the creators and see about working on videos, but unfortunately I do not.

You're moving the goalposts, though.

My point was that The Film Reroll is an example of a non-storytelling RPG podcast that does well and is entertaining. The system underlying an roleplaying production doesn't have to be minimalist or numbers-light, if the people involved know how to make it entertaining.

Yes, they rarely mention the game system. They mentioned it quite a bit in the first episode, but not after. So they've mentioned it exactly 1 more time than, say, Dan Harmon mentions Pathfinder in HarmonQuest. But to expect them to mention it more is to misconstrue the focus and nature of their podcast (and to misconstrue the reason I use them as an example).

If they had any reason to mention GURPS, they would. But they don't. They're not advertising the system. Their goal isn't to get more people to play it. But if it were, the amount of adjustment they'd have to do to get there is minimal.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote