Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
VariousRen

Default Innate attack with the wall enhancement

I'm looking at making some sorcery spells based on innate attack, and I'm curious how the Wall enhancement does certain things.

First, with the rigid wall enhancement dice of damage decides DR and HP and the type of damage if someone collides with it. The example in Powers uses No Wounding, does a Wall without this do full dice of damage if you hit it (ie wall of spinning blades) or just normal collision damage?

Second, a rigid wall has both DR and HP. I'm assuming that using HP means it gets HT checks to see if it survives when it reaches -HP and lower. What would the HT of these walls be?

Thirdly, if I wanted the wall to be thinner than 1 yard but otherwise have the same stats, how would I go about achieving this?

Fourthly, I have a Wall that is to be centered around me. Emanation seems like the right limitation at - 20%, but reduced range x0.1 gives me - 30% instead. Which is the appropriate modifier? Does emanation include the wall moving with me, or do I also purchase Mobile and Homing for that?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by VariousRen; 10-11-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Extra question
VariousRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Gnomasz

Default Re: Innate attack with the wall enhancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
First, with the rigid wall enhancement dice of damage decides DR and HP and the type of damage if someone collides with it. The example in Powers uses No Wounding, does a Wall without this do full dice of damage if you hit it (ie wall of spinning blades) or just normal collision damage?
Just normal collision damage. Per the enhancement description, "the wall does no damage itself, but the damage type applies to the injury inflicted on anyone crashing into it”. Putting more levels of Innate Attack on it only makes the wall stronger (HP and DR). Link two walls together (p. B106): one rigid and one permeable, to get an impenetrable wall of spinning blades.

Quote:
Second, a rigid wall has both DR and HP. I'm assuming that using HP means it gets HT checks to see if it survives when it reaches -HP and lower. What would the HT of these walls be?
Huh. That's a good question. I'd assume it's the default 12, it's a guess though.

Quote:
Thirdly, if I wanted the wall to be thinner than 1 yard but otherwise have the same stats, how would I go about achieving this?

Thank you in advance!
I'd say it's a special effect. There are some pros and cons, but they're so situational it's not worth evaluating.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
McAllister

For a wall that CAN be centered around you, the +60% version of Wall can do that. For a wall that MUST be centered around you, Emanation sounds as good as anything.

Taking No Wounding on a rigid wall seems wrong, seeing as the "dice of damage" never actually damage anything, but I think Wall is overpriced, so I'd probably allow it.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
For a wall that CAN be centered around you, the +60% version of Wall can do that. For a wall that MUST be centered around you, Emanation sounds as good as anything.

Taking No Wounding on a rigid wall seems wrong, seeing as the "dice of damage" never actually damage anything, but I think Wall is overpriced, so I'd probably allow it.
Don't look at me, look at Powers pg. 147's Wall of Force example. I thought it was strange too, which is why I thought dice of damage might actually apply to things hitting it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
weby

Quote:
Don't look at me, look at Powers pg. 147's Wall of Force example. I thought it was strange too, which is why I thought dice of damage might actually apply to things hitting it.
Well it does say that it does no damage when you collide with it. Normal wall you get the collision damage. Of course getting a discount for the whole thing when the only effect for the wall type you get is damage type and that has nothing to do with the dice.

Also note that Powers and Thaumatology:Sorcery protection and warning spells disagree on the cost of "Does not damage those colliding with it"

Powers assigns it a -50% no wounding modifier.
Thaumatology:Sorcery protection and warning spells calls it a 0 point feature.

It is done just to confuse people I guess..
Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
VariousRen

I've gone with No Wounding to mean that you can't press the wall against people to crush them, if they stand their ground the wall just moves next to them and can't move past. No blunt trauma gives anyone who hits it DR 10 to avoid damage (safety net level of DR) on a collision. Otherwise I think a wall that "does no collision damage" might be a cheap way to stop fall damage from a great height.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Otherwise I think a wall that "does no collision damage" might be a cheap way to stop fall damage from a great height.
Green Lantern baseball glove.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #8
McAllister

Quote:
I've gone with No Wounding to mean that you can't press the wall against people to crush them, if they stand their ground the wall just moves next to them and can't move past. No blunt trauma gives anyone who hits it DR 10 to avoid damage (safety net level of DR) on a collision. Otherwise I think a wall that "does no collision damage" might be a cheap way to stop fall damage from a great height.
Falling 10 yards with Catfall: velocity of a 5 yard fall is 10, so (10x10)/100 = 1d damage with a DX check to halve it.

Falling 10 yards onto a ~10 point No Wounding Wall:* wall has DR 4 and 1 HP. 2d falling damage almost certainly shatter the wall and fall through; if the GM is generous, the damage the wall absorbed is subtracted from the final fall distance.

Conclusion: if No Wounding really means that colliding with the wall deals no damage, then safe long-distance falls maybe a side-effect of a high-power Wall, but people aren't exactly going to be buying them over Catfall.

*1d+1 crushing Innate Attack, 6.5
Area Effect, +50%
Persistent, +40%
Wall, +30%
No Wounding, -50%
Total: 12 points, using inferior-but-default additive multipliers.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 AM   #9
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Conclusion: if No Wounding really means that colliding with the wall deals no damage, then safe long-distance falls maybe a side-effect of a high-power Wall, but people aren't exactly going to be buying them over Catfall.
A hero with Catfall can jump out a building, a hero with a No Wounding Wall can safely cushion the fall of multiple people's landing from that same building.
It makes sense that Catfall is cheaper, most people will buy it since they may only need to look out for themselves. But using a No Wounding Wall as a cushion is an interesting trick.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:25 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Thaumatology:Sorcery protection and warning spells calls it a 0 point feature.
Protection and Warning uses No Wounding, for -50%. See Force Wall, page 7. " Slams and collisions damage the wall, but
not the collider, as for Force Dome."

EDIT: You have to read the full note for Force dome. It's not a special effect for Walls, it's a special effect for the DR Advantage BUT ONLY in combination with Affects Others, Area Effect, and Force FIeld.

None of that is with regards ti Innate Attack and wall.

Sorry, typing on a cat. full of typo.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancement, innate attack, wall