Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
fewilcox

Default Persistent IA Accessibility (Only One at a Time)

My character in my wife's fantasy supers game is a street rat from near-future Earth who has an Omnitrix-like device that allows him to transform into various elementals. Due to players moving away or changing jobs, and other people wanting in, she's starting it over, so I'm tweaking his various forms and hit upon a limitation I can't price.

I want his fire form to be able to raise a wall of fire starting in an adjacent hex, but I only want him to be able to keep up one at a time, because at this point the character has only just come into his powers and can't control them very well yet. So here's what I have so far:

Wall of Fire: 4d burn (Area Effect (2 yds), +50%; Persistent (10s), +40%; Wall (Permeable: 6 yd x 1 yd x 12"), +30%; Emanation, -20%; Costs 1 FP, -10%*) [38]

It's only missing two things:
A) He has to start the wall adjacent to himself
B) He can only maintain one wall at a time

The only idea I can come up with for A is Emanation for -20%, but I'm not sure if that will actually work in combination with Wall, or if it will force him to keep the whole wall adjacent to him instead of just one end of it.

B is tougher. Locally I'm the the king of IAs – I've made many I had no intention of ever using just to see if I could (D&D 4e's Aegis of Shielding, for one) – but this one has me stumped. What would be the Accessibility mod for only being able to use the power once the previous use has run its course or gotten dispelled? One obvious solution is Takes Recharge, but that doesn't let him use it again immediately if it gets extinguished.

Eventually he'll be able to raise and lower them at will, and keep more than one active, so I'll have to buy off whatever limitations I come up with, but for now he's a neophyte that doesn't think the supernatural even exists despite the fact that his "watch" is psionically powered and controlled, so he'll have such limitations on all of his abilities until he overcomes his disbelief (so I'll be saving up all of my earned CP for a while).

I should mention that in addition to Basic Set, we have Powers, and Martial Arts.

* We use Reverend Pee Kitty's houserule that makes CFP -10% per level

EDIT: The GM has ruled that Emanation will do the job for A, so I have updated the power accordingly, but we still need a solution for B.

I make character sheets and other tools for various roleplaying games.

Last edited by fewilcox; 07-19-2016 at 04:33 PM.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Persistent IA Accessibility (Only One at a Time)

For A, you just need Melee: C. That starts the wall within reach of whatever limb it shoots out from.

For B, it's Terminal Condition. Using a new wall ends the previous one early, even if you later buy Extended Duration.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
fewilcox

Default Re: Persistent IA Accessibility (Only One at a Time)

Thanks for replying. She looked everything over again and decided that Emanation will do for A, but we don't see how Melee Attack or Terminal Condition apply to either problem.

TC would just make the fact that it can be put out with water into a -20% limitation, but since the ability to extinguish it is inherent in Wall, I couldn't take TC anyway. That aside, we can't see that it has anything to do his with only being able to maintain one wall at a time.

Any other ideas? At this point my IA builder spreadsheet just has "Accessibility (Only One at a Time), -X%", so I'd happily settle for votes for values for X.

I make character sheets and other tools for various roleplaying games.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, innate attack, persistent, wall