Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Norsehound

Default Uncommon Cybertanks

Since getting further into Ogre now that I have a copy I've noticed there are some variant/Uncommon cybertanks out there that aren't depicted in the box set (or even on the record sheet). I like fictional machines and their history, so I was wondering if anyone has some of the details for these machines?

I already know about the Steel Oni and Steel Warrior designs to come from the Nihon forces counter sheet (Thanks again Roy!). Looks like they were pretty close to standard IIIb and V, but with improved secondaries.

The only concrete Information I've found about the Unbuilt MK VII is from Toltrin's site. There are stats here from GURPS and Toltrin's proposed changes to make the design more workable (Plan B?).

I've found stuff on the Israeli Golem, but there are two different sets of information. The first comes from a digest page of some kind I found on the internet, and the other is from this very forum. The former is specified as a Golem III and I want to guess the latter is the "David" variant for carrying missile-launching drones.

This thread about what isn't in the DE box points to the Ogre Coelacanth (A hover Ogre) and the Ogre Goliath.

So far I haven't found anything on the Chinese "Dragon Cybertanks", but I'd still be interested to see them, if they exist.

Thoughs? Does someone know where to find some stats for these obscure Ogre tanks?

Last edited by Norsehound; 01-15-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Uncommon Cybertanks

GURPS Ogre contains the greatest amount of additional background information on the Ogreverse.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Thirdpower

There are improved stats on the MkVII through the OGRE Mini's Update via E23.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
ColBosch

Keep in mind that not all of those cybertanks are "canon," so stuff like the Coelacanth and Goliath aren't high on the list for updated rules. That said, The Ogre Book has rules for quite a few different takes on the Ogre, including giant aircraft.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
Norsehound

Giant Aircraft... the kind you see in the Continental Siege Craft article? What else does the Ogre Book offer in terms of new units?
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Dakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound View Post
I already know about the Steel Oni and Steel Warrior designs to come from the Nihon forces counter sheet (Thanks again Roy!). Looks like they were pretty close to standard IIIb and V, but with improved secondaries.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Nihon North American counter sheets you speak of, from ThirdPower, use the Combine artwork and represent captured Combine OGREs, and not actual Nihon Oni or Samurai.
Dakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Nihon North American counter sheets you speak of, from ThirdPower, use the Combine artwork and represent captured Combine OGREs, and not actual Nihon Oni or Samurai.
True, but the rule sheet that comes with the Nihon set includes record sheets for the Steel Oni and Steel Warrior, in case you prefer to use the included "captured Combine" ogres to represent those "native Nihon" ones.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Dakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
True, but the rule sheet that comes with the Nihon set includes record sheets for the Steel Oni and Steel Warrior, in case you prefer to use the included "captured Combine" ogres to represent those "native Nihon" ones.
Ah! Very cool. I look forward to the Uncommon OGREs sponsor sheet if it ever happens.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Dakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdpower View Post
There are improved stats on the MkVII through the OGRE Mini's Update via E23.
Was looking at the OGRE Mk VII on that sheet the other day. In the text they say its 'slow', but it has movement 4 according to the record sheet. I almost would have preferred to see it slower but have way more tread per level.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
Was looking at the OGRE Mk VII on that sheet the other day. In the text they say its 'slow', but it has movement 4 according to the record sheet. I almost would have preferred to see it slower but have way more tread per level.
Ogre Minis (which those stats are for) uses inches instead of hexes as the movement measurement, where 1 hex of move = 2 inches. So in ODE terms, the Mark VII would start at M2, not M4, which is slow for an Ogre... (And it would have twice the tread per level, since the starting treads is the same).
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division

Last edited by offsides; 01-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote