Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Question: Off-Hand Striking

I agree that it is not ambidexterity because you can go to any dojo in the USA and receive that type of training. Now, you could take handedness for unarmed combat skills as a quirk, as it would represent a weakness in the character.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I have never trained anything where I trained to strike with my left arm or leg as much as my right. Sure maybe I drilled left kicks or whatever, but in sparring I used my strong side significantly more. Maybe nothing I ever learned was "reputable".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have never trained anything where I trained to strike with my left arm or leg as much as my right. Sure maybe I drilled left kicks or whatever, but in sparring I used my strong side significantly more. Maybe nothing I ever learned was "reputable".
Interesting, out of interest what did you train in? (perhaps more relevantly what stance did what you train in assume, were you significantly side one leading in with a favored side)

It may well be that OHT perk is not ubiquitous in all Martial arts! So with that and my suggested Perk tweak in mind it may be that certain styles might vary the OHT perk cost as well.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-14-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Unarmed, the hands are considered equally capable. This is a simplification, and for those who like detail, GURPS Martial Arts, p. 124, offers an optional rule that increases realism:
When using the "off" hand, you have the usual -4 to skill (and therefore -2 to Parry) and -2 to ST (giving -1 to punching damage).
Please note that skill and ST are affected. That rule goes on to say:
In campaigns that use this rule, Off-Hand Weapon Training becomes a Style Perk for all barehanded striking arts, and it and Ambidexterity (p. B39) eliminate both penalties.
This covers those schools and teachers that feel it's important to train both sides equally, which is a common but not universal exercise. Talk to any boxer about the extra work required . . . that's the work of learning this perk.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Interesting, out of interest what did you train in? (perhaps more relevantly what stance did what you train assume, were you significantly side one leading in with favored side)
I have formally studied Akido, where I mostly learned strong side throws although I learned parries with both hands, and MCMAP, where I definitely mostly trained strong side attacks primarily, I can't recall if we did weak side hooks or upper-cuts at all, although we did drill some other punches and kicks ambidextrously, certainly in sparring there is no incentive to strike with the weak side.

I have also studied Silver, the I.33, and Meyer, but the unarmed attacks in armed styles probably don't count for this discussion.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-14-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Tomsdad

Quote:
I have formally studied Akido, where I mostly learned strong side throws although I learned parries with both hands, and MCMAP, where I definitely mostly trained strong side attacks primarily, I can't recall if we did weak side hooks or upper-cuts at all, although we did drill some other punches and kicks ambidextrously, certainly in sparring there is no incentive to strike with the weak side.
Cool, cheers. I have very little experience of aikido, and my judo is very rusty but what I do remember is you threw and pivoted back and forth to both sides quickly (sorry not that I'm saying Judo tells me about Aikido, it's just that's the vast majority of my grapple, hold and throwing experience!)

I guess my more recent experience of boxing is colouring my perception here, and I guess compared to some MA boxing has a relatively square on stance.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-14-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Cool, cheers. I have very little experience of aikido, and my judo is very rusty but what I do remember so you threw and pivoted back and forth to both sides quickly (sorry not that I'm saying Judo tells me about Aikido, it's just that's the vast majority of my grapple, hold and throwing experience!)

I guess my more recent experience of boxing is colouring my perception here, and I guess compared to some MA boxing has a relatively square on stance.
I am so much worse on my left that if I intend to be competitive, I really need to use my right. I think my point is that even if a style teaches an ambidextrous move, there is usually little reason to use it that way when sparring or competing.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #18
Tomsdad

Quote:
I am so much worse on my left that if I intend to be competitive, I really need to use my right. I think my point is that even if a style teaches an ambidextrous move, there is usually little reason to use it that way when sparring or competing.
Interesting, I guess my experience is if I only used or significantly favored one side when sparing (which as I say has basically been boxing only in recent years). Those I spar with would pretty much instantly take advantage of this.

But I guess different things including experiences and styles etc, are well different!

Anyway

Cheers

TD
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Interesting, I guess my experience is if I only used or significantly favored one side when sparing (which as I say has basically been boxing only in recent years). Those I spar with would pretty much instantly take advantage of this.

But I guess different things including experiences and styles etc, are well different!

Anyway

Cheers

TD
This probably also has to do with me being especially useless on the left, to the extent that whatever advantage I could get from switching I lose by fighting like a five year old. So I guess maybe I live in a world where the Martial Arts optional rule only applies to me. :(
Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
Tomsdad

Quote:
This probably also has to do with me being especially useless on the left, to the extent that whatever advantage I could get from switching I lose by fighting like a five year old. So I guess maybe I live in a world where the Martial Arts optional rule only applies to me. :(
heh! well if nothing else you are living proof that the tweaks I mentioned above for OHT and handedness aren't that farfetched!

Tags
off hand parries, retcon