Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #241
Thirdpower

Default Re: Nihon Empire American Divisions Custom Sheet

Took on the oldest boy in a game of OGRE today. I played the defensive (w/ my Nihon forces of course) and he played a NAC Mk III (Kong). Thanks to SJ et al. for that Nihon CP on the KS exclusive Vulcan and Friends sheet.

I started out w/ 2 howitzers, 3 hvy tanks, 3 GEV's and 2 Msl Tanks along w/ the 20 pts of Inf. I forgot to take a pic of the initial set up.

As soon as the boy got into range, he used both of his missiles to take out a 3pt Infantry. He's a bit obsessed w/ destroying them. I got numerous units in range and took out his Main battery so he was reduced to Secondaries and AP guns. Following that, I had a series of monumentally bad rolls allowing him to reduce my forces significantly while taking little damage until he got into range of my Howitzers. He made the mistake of jogging back to take out some infantry (again) so I was able to slow his movement down to two and take out the rest of his secondaries.

From there, it was just attrition until I stopped him. Here was the final layout:

Both Howitzers, two Heavies, a GEV and two points of Infantry survived. Next game will be me playing the OGRE and him on the defensive.

The burgundy color stands out well even on the original OGRE map. I have to say the 2 hex OGRE (while cool looking) can get confusing.

http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.co...wer-rnd-1.html
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #242
Thirdpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
Nihon forces have landed on the largest island off the west coast of North America. Combine defense are rallying in a desperate attempt to break the Nihon beachhead. Vancouver Island, Canada.

Received my 2 sheets Thirdpower. They are awesome! I actually really like the one hex OGREs (OGRE III b). I wish the main game's 'flat OGREs' were like these. Way better, considering the actual distance/area represented by a hex, these look more realistic IMO.

TY.

That sounds like a scenario possibility. Anyone w/ graphics skills able to take a whack at it like the San Fran scenario?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #243
Qthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdpower View Post
...Anyone w/ graphics skills able to take a whack at it like the San Fran scenario?
At 1 mile per hex the map for Vancouver Island would be impractical to use. The island itself is nearly 12.5k square miles.

I would suggest picking a geographically interesting location along the west coast, or a small section of the Capital Region. I say small section because the CRD is nearly 904 square miles.

By comparison, the default Ogre map is... 315 hexes, I think? A third of the size of the CRD, if it was a rectangle.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #244
Frost Giant

Just got around to punching out the first of my two sets. Liking them a lot, thanks again!!
Frost Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #245
Dakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qthulhu View Post
At 1 mile per hex the map for Vancouver Island would be impractical to use. The island itself is nearly 12.5k square miles.
Yea, its a pretty big island. Lived my entire life on it and it really doesn't even feel like an island its so huge. Its about an 8 hour drive from one end to the other.

Though the southern tip of the island was historically important for protection of the strait that separates what is now Canada and the US. In some distant fictional war torn future I could see it being strategically important again. The Japanese flew aircraft and fire balloons over this area during WW II, and CFB Comox on the island was then, and is still, an important air force base.

Last edited by Dakk; 01-23-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Dakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #246
Dakk

I used a silver metallic sharpie to color the edges of my Nihon pieces. They look pretty nice. The metallic silver pops nice against the darker burgundy color of the counters.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #247
StormCrow42

Quote:
I used a silver metallic sharpie to color the edges of my Nihon pieces. They look pretty nice. The metallic silver pops nice against the darker burgundy color of the counters.
I used metallic sharpies on the edges of part of my 3D units (highlights the main batteries and missile launchers nicely). But I found that the "Berry" color of sharpie was a perfect match for the color of the Nihon counters (as suggested by others).
Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #248
Dakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow42 View Post
I used metallic sharpies on the edges of part of my 3D units (highlights the main batteries and missile launchers nicely). But I found that the "Berry" color of sharpie was a perfect match for the color of the Nihon counters (as suggested by others).
My thinking was that I wanted the color of the edges to match closer to the color of the vehicles/troop units & OGREs themselves, not the backgrounds. It's more consistent than matching background color with some and unit colors with others.

Thus...

Combine = Red
PE = Blue
Black Rose = Black
Nihon = Silver (close to white)
Netherlands/PE Alt = Green
Old 01-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #249
StormCrow42

Quote:
My thinking was that I wanted the color of the edges to match closer to the color of the vehicles/troop units & OGREs themselves, not the backgrounds. It's more consistent than matching background color with some and unit colors with others.

Thus...

Combine = Red
PE = Blue
Black Rose = Black
Nihon = Silver (close to white)
Netherlands/PE Alt = Green
I can understand that idea. I'd already appropriated silver to color the "shoulders" of my missile/HWZ units. Scroll down to the bottom of my album to see my color scheme. Blue shoulders for marines, gold for engineers/vulcan drones, silver for HWI/missile tanks/HWZ/MHWZ. Black lines on the shoulders with the minimum number of squads on an INF counter, black on the edges for GEV class units and MHWZ, etc.

Since the pic was taken, I've found a lighter green for the Black Rose units (which were still unedged in the picture)

Last edited by StormCrow42; 01-23-2014 at 02:17 PM.
StormCrow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #250
Thirdpower

The boy was on the defensive this time. He went w/ a howitzer heavy defense (3) and decided to try out some Mobile Howitzers w/ his forces. He split his infantry up into lots of smaller units. Outside of that he picked 3 GEV,s 2 Hvy Tanks and a Msl Tank. I used a 1 hex Nihon Mk III. Here's the initial placement:
http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.co...wer-rnd-2.html
I think he placed them to the 'west' because either that's similar to how I placed my units the last time we played or it was just closer to where he was sitting. Unfortunately he placed his Command Post (CP) in the center. So I did what would be expected and ran up the east side of the map bypassing most of his slower infantry.

He used his GEV's fairly effectively, sweeping in and out, managing to take out my Main Battery but not before I had destroyed a Hvy, damaged another and taken out his Msl Tank w/ one of my Msl's.

He focused his Howitzers on my treads to no effect w/ some bad rolls. Then the last Hvy fell to secondaries and a MHwtz to my 2nd Missile. The 2nd MHwtz fell shortly after w/ the Hwtz next.

He decided to keep playing. By the time I escaped off the board, the GEV's had fallen to ramming due to movement miscalculations. All of my weapons were gone (excluding AP guns) and had full movement left. Two lone squads of Infantry remained to explain what happened to Division HQ.

Following the game, I gave him some more advice. Some better placement concepts for his CP, concentration of forces, more effective use of OGRE weapons and not jogging backwards when the goal is to destroy the CP. Next time we're going to up it to a Mk V and see how he does.