Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Dakk

Default OGRE DE Accessories

Figured I'd give the thread a more generic title so it fits conversation of any of the items, but I have a question regarding one item in particular.

The OGRE Canvas Bag.
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG9024

Anyone here own one that can shed some light and give me some feedback? I'd like to know if the game fits in very snugly, or if there is a bit of extra room around the OGRE DE game box when its placed inside. Also, what do you think of the bag in general?

I currently have my OGRE DE game inside the original shipping box, and use that for storage and when I travel with the game, just to add some extra protection for the game box. I'm curious whether the canvas bag will hold the OGRE shipping box, which isn't much bigger than the game box itself.

Last edited by Dakk; 01-16-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Dakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
sum1els

Default Re: OGRE DE Accessories

The game fits quite snugly, and I doubt you'd be able to stuff the shipping box in there. You might be able to slide a few Plano boxes down the side after you get the game box in, though. It's very well made and durable, and holds a ton of groceries. If you waited to read this to decide, it's probably too late anyway. =]
sum1els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

You can't get the shipping box in in the orientation you probably want to. I tried.

I was able to fit it end-down.

Carrying the Ogre game in a non-flat orientation seems to be problematic, so I don't really know if I'll use the bag for that again anyway. The 3d pieces in their garages were okay but I had tokens slide all over the place inside the box.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
offsides

There's not much room in the bag for extras, though a few flat items will fit reasonably well. It's VERY well made, and does a great job carrying it, either by hand or on your shoulder. I highly recommend one if you're planning on carrying the ODE box around.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Dakk

Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming if you have some other observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Carrying the Ogre game in a non-flat orientation seems to be problematic, so I don't really know if I'll use the bag for that again anyway. The 3d pieces in their garages were okay but I had tokens slide all over the place inside the box.
I found the same with moving the game around in the shipping box. I plan to deal with this by making some custom covers for the counter tray sections using clear plastic, perhaps with velcro strips to keep them firmly in place. I haven't started on them yet though, so there may be issues and changed plans along the way.

Anyone else come up with a custom solution for keeping pieces from falling out of the original counter tray when the box is turned on its side?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
StormCrow42

Quote:
An assortment of small plastic bags solves that problem (look for craft-supply bags, they'll be much smaller than grocery-store ziplocks. As a bonus, I have my green rubble overlays separated from my orange ones, the D1/D2 counters separate from the 1-20 counters, etc.

The only thing that shifts in my Ogre box now is the occasional Missile Crawler or Train.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Dakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
There's not much room in the bag for extras, though a few flat items will fit reasonably well. It's VERY well made, and does a great job carrying it, either by hand or on your shoulder. I highly recommend one if you're planning on carrying the ODE box around.
Thanks. I did order one this morning, and I'll definately be using it for my OGRE DE game.... and not for groceries. (how could you sum1els?!?!?!) ;)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakk View Post
I found the same with moving the game around in the shipping box.
I dealt with that by keeping the box in an upright orientation at all times.

A bit laborious, but a big time saver compared to picking through and sorting all the bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow42 View Post
An assortment of small plastic bags solves that problem (look for craft-supply bags, they'll be much smaller than grocery-store ziplocks. As a bonus, I have my green rubble overlays separated from my orange ones, the D1/D2 counters separate from the 1-20 counters, etc.
Doesn't that stop things from fitting into their designated places?

Which might be worth it.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
StormCrow42

Quote:
Doesn't that stop things from fitting into their designated places?
Not really, the bags are all small enough when folded over to fit. Check out a picture of my setup (including my color-coding for all the flat counters).
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow42 View Post
Not really, the bags are all small enough when folded over to fit. Check out a picture of my setup (including my color-coding for all the flat counters).
It looks like you didn't bag the unit counters or the multi-hex overlays there, both of which were definitely among the disorderly elements for me.