Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 AM   #1
Jaware

Default Can someone explain vision penalties for me?

I once again call upon the collective...

Oddly enough. I've never had light penalties come up in a game until very recently.

I understand there are penalries for darkness. -10 for total, and a -0 for normal light. Everything else falls inbetween there.

My question is how does light work. Is it a -X per yard of distance, or just a flat -X.

And light sources give a bonus to this roll. Along with a few advantages etc.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Can someone explain vision penalties for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post

Oddly enough. I've never had light penalties come up in a game until very recently.

I understand there are penalries for darkness. -10 for total, and a -0 for normal light. Everything else falls inbetween there.

My question is how does light work. Is it a -X per yard of distance, or just a flat -X.

And light sources give a bonus to this roll. Along with a few advantages etc.
Light does not interact with distance. Light is a flat -X, and distance is generally also a penalty. Note that darkness may scale with distance: if I'm holding a torch on a moonless night (and it and the stars are the only sources of light), things will have different darkness penalties based on how far they are from the torch; but if I threw the torch somewhere, the distances relevant would be measured from the torch, not from me.

And technically light sources reduce penalties, but that's basically the same as giving a bonus.

I know there's a small book dedicated to this, but I can't recall its title. GURPS Powers: Senses and Perception? Something like that?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
Jeraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I know there's a small book dedicated to this, but I can't recall its title. GURPS Powers: Senses and Perception? Something like that?

GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses page 13 gives a table of illumination levels and penalties.
Jeraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post

No, the biggest light penalty is -9. After that you can't see anything (absent advantages like dark vision, etc).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:53 AM   #5
Jeraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
No, the biggest light penalty is -9. After that you can't see anything (absent advantages like dark vision, etc).
Check again. Total darkness is -10.
Jeraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
Check again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 358
-1 to -9 in partial darkness. In total darkness, Vision rolls are impossible without special advantages or technological aids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
Total darkness is -10.
The -10 penalty for total darkness doesn't apply to Vision rolls, it applies to actions. I can't see you in total darkness, but I might still be able to hit you.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, light, vision