Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-11-2023, 01:28 PM   #21
43Supporter

Default Re: Help Finding Error In Car Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Also HDSS with Hot Smoke : watching a guy with $34,000 of Laser Guided Ordinance rendered useless by two of these worth $2,250 had us chuckling & him almost weeping ... 😈
FCEs were worse.... .>:)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:33 PM   #22
swordtart

Not sure why people thought heat would somehow affect an IR laser. It's like expecting two crossed laser beams to deflect one another.

Thermal imaging is messed up by heat but that is the detector not the emitter. If you need to tune a rocket to a specific laser frequency then a source of random frequencies is not liable to deflect it if there is a stronger beam of that frequency passing through it. A heat seeking missile is another matter as it is designed to look for a heat source (but again in reality the frequency it is looking for tends to be within specific ranges). There are no heat seekers in CW.

Shining a visible red laser through a well it area doesn't disperse the beam. Your sensor (eye) might not notice it as it is swamped, but a red filter over your eye will show the beam is still there as strong as ever.

Smoke ammunition specially formulated to produce the right particulate to absorb IR (like brass flakes or carbon nano fibres) blocks IR effectively which is what "hot smoke" is. It is not the same thing as smoke from a hot source (as that tends to be all smoke) nor smoke in a heat source.

It would have been better if they had named IR blocking smoke as "IR blocking smoke" to avoid this confusion of function. Sadly people ignored the rule about the fluff text being irrelevant and started extending the game effect using the random words to justify it.

Sadly some of the editors allowed these shenanigans to inform canon material. Flame clouds should not produce Hot Smoke they simply produce smoke that may (or may not) be hot. If you want Hot Smoke you need special rounds for your smokescreen.

Last edited by swordtart; 05-11-2023 at 11:15 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #23
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
It would have been better if they had named IR blocking smoke as "IR blocking smoke" to avoid this confusion of function. Sadly people ignored the rule about the fluff text being irrelevant and started extending the game effect using the random words to justify it.
[nod] Therein lay the Doom Of OGCW -- Line Editors who got the job because they could pass The Three Questions Of The Slush Pile, rather than having one iota of knowledge of the subject matter....

79er

Old 05-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #24
Overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
[nod] Therein lay the Doom Of OGCW -- Line Editors who got the job because they could pass The Three Questions Of The Slush Pile, rather than having one iota of knowledge of the subject matter....
What are the Three Questions Of the Slush Pile?
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 02:47 PM   #25
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload View Post
What are the Three Questions Of the Slush Pile?
1) Does the ms. contain Actual Words?
2) Are those words arrange into coherent Sentences?
3) Are those sentences arranged into Paragraphs expressing coherent Ideas?

99.8% of ms. submitted fail on #3. Infamously, NOVA's leader could not get past #1 -- I don't know why, but he could not spell a word correctly with a correctly-spelled example in front of him; and then he wondered why his stuff wouldn't get published. (I know -- I had to edit his stuff.)

Personally: I admit I don't know everything; but I *do* know who to ask when I don't know something, and I know enough to be like Cat from _Red Dwarf_, and ask for an explanation "in Large Print With Pictures format". .:)

79er