Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Extending One Use Only

I just had one of those "This seems brilliant, but I'm not going to be able to use/test it any time soon" moments.

0 uses is x0
1 use is x0.2
Infinite uses is x1

That's enough to define a curve.
  • N Uses Only multiplies cost by N/(4+N).
This could be amazing, or it could be completely broken.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Extending One Use Only

PK did something similar for enchantments. And due to the way the curve works, you eventually hit a point where the difference between 'finite' and 'infinite' is small enough the point difference isn't worth it. To break down some examples;

2 uses for 2/6 or 1/3? Sure, seems fine.
4 uses for 4/8 or half the price? Already I'm not sure it's worth it.
20 uses for 20/24 or 5/6 price? Maybe it's worth it, but I'd rather just spend those last 1/6pts to buy off worries.
46 uses of a super power "block" (normally 50pts)? Yeah, I'd rather spend those 4pts to get it always.

Reverse engineering Extra Life with this does sound nice, though.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
PK did something similar for enchantments.
Ah. I thought it felt familiar in my brain.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Ah. I thought it felt familiar in my brain.
The goal seems similar, have a number of one use version of an ability that mathematically is fair, especially in the sense of always staying cheaper than having 'infinite' uses.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
PK did something similar for enchantments. And due to the way the curve works, you eventually hit a point where the difference between 'finite' and 'infinite' is small enough the point difference isn't worth it. To break down some examples;

2 uses for 2/6 or 1/3? Sure, seems fine.
4 uses for 4/8 or half the price? Already I'm not sure it's worth it.
20 uses for 20/24 or 5/6 price? Maybe it's worth it, but I'd rather just spend those last 1/6pts to buy off worries.
46 uses of a super power "block" (normally 50pts)? Yeah, I'd rather spend those 4pts to get it always.

Reverse engineering Extra Life with this does sound nice, though.
Allowing players to purchase One Use Only versions of abilities in play (as many GM's allow for Extra Life) and upgrade the number of uses over time could be an interesting way to have a character build up to having the ability in full. For example, say a fire super wants to do an extra-powerful blast, so he buys (and immediately uses) a One Use Only 10d burn Innate Attack for [10]. The next time he wants to use it, it costs [7] (for Two Use Only, which is [17] but you've already paid [10] of that), the next time it costs [5], then [3], [3], [2], and so forth, slowly reducing in price for each additional use. You'll eventually (in this case, starting with use #13) get to the point where investing [1] more gets you several more uses, and finally (in this case, for use #197) the GURPS rounding conventions result in reaching full price, at which point the character has the ability outright.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Allowing players to purchase One Use Only versions of abilities in play (as many GM's allow for Extra Life) and upgrade the number of uses over time could be an interesting way to have a character build up to having the ability in full. For example, say a fire super wants to do an extra-powerful blast, so he buys (and immediately uses) a One Use Only 10d burn Innate Attack for [10]. The next time he wants to use it, it costs [7] (for Two Use Only, which is [17] but you've already paid [10] of that), the next time it costs [5], then [3], [3], [2], and so forth, slowly reducing in price for each additional use. You'll eventually (in this case, starting with use #13) get to the point where investing [1] more gets you several more uses, and finally (in this case, for use #197) the GURPS rounding conventions result in reaching full price, at which point the character has the ability outright.
I'd be all for that. It's a great way to both keep an ability in check (it costs a lot of cp to use, especially early on) and gives the player a goal or path for their character that the GM can preapprove. Best part is you don't even have to go to full price; If the ability costs (say) FP once it stops costing cp, then you only have to get to the modified cost and then convert it over.