Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
JulianLW

Default Chronokinesis: True Time Stop

After looking at the Chronokinesis builds in Pyramid 4/3 by Aleksei Isachenko, I looked up various Time-Stopping powers on the Forum and then came up with this for kicks:

True Time Stop (Affliction 103; Affects Insubstantial +20%, Area Effect: Universal +4550%, Cardiac Stress: Hourly -10%, Emanation -20%, Extended Duration: Permanent until switched off or unconscious +150%, Increased Immunity 4 -40%, Malediction 1 +100%, Persistent +40%, Selective Effect +20%, Temporal Stasis with Cosmic +50%: Vulnerable to physical effects +1500%, Chronokinesis -10%) [13,452]

The character concentrates for one second and succeeds on a Will roll to stop time throughout the known universe for as long as he chooses or until he loses consciousness. During this period, the character may interact normally with objects, including attacking other beings (which get no defense; this is Temporal Stasis +1000%, from Powers 118, modified by the Cosmic, Avoiding Drawbacks - in this case, vulnerable to physical effects - +50% enhancement from Power-Ups 4 for a total of +1500%; the Selective Effect +20% enhancement means that the Time-Stopper may allow chosen companions to avoid the Temporal Stasis and may also initiate and interact normally with processes such as starting a fire, cooking, or flushing a toilet). Each subjective hour, the time-stopper must roll vs. the lower of HT or Will (14+ always fails) to avoid losing 1d FP or, on a critical failure, falling into a coma.

The Area Effect: Universal +4550% enhancement was based on a Forum search of Munchkin abilities—and confidence that the Munchkins had done their math correctly to apply an Area Effect that would cover the entire known universe. The Affliction level was based on largest "objects" in the universe being, arguably, supermassive black holes somewhat less than 250 billion miles across, or somewhat smaller than SM+92—see "Afflictions and Inanimate Objects" on Powers 40—which would roll against Affliction 103 at HT-10. All sentient beings in the universe would have to win a contest of HT-102 vs. the Will of the Time-Stopper to resist. Any being that somehow manages to resist this ability is permanently immune.

I decided that Time (based on my pop-culture understanding of physics) is equal to the whole universe, so in order to stop time, you'd have to stop the entire universe, all or nothing - no localized time stopping! But maybe Time is NOT the same as Being? What do y'all think? Have I overlooked anything?

Last edited by JulianLW; 03-02-2021 at 04:56 PM.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Chronokinesis: True Time Stop

I think at over 13,000 points you can do pretty much whatever you like.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
Anders

It's a tad expensive. Tell you what, if it costs 1 character point you can divide the cost by 5. That makes it affordable for high-level supers.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It's a tad expensive. Tell you what, if it costs 1 character point you can divide the cost by 5. That makes it affordable for high-level supers.
I originally had it as CP-Powered, but then I decided that the reason I was building it in the first place was just to see what really stopping time would cost: kind of a benchmark against which we can look at some of the other solutions I've seen, such as lots of levels of ATR, etc.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

why do we have 103 levels of the affliction? that's an advantage that people almost never level.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
why do we have 103 levels of the affliction? that's an advantage that people almost never level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
The Affliction level was based on largest "objects" in the universe being, arguably, supermassive black holes somewhat less than 250 billion miles across, or somewhat smaller than SM+92—see "Afflictions and Inanimate Objects" on Powers 40—which would roll against Affliction 103 at HT-10. All sentient beings in the universe would have to win a contest of HT-102 vs. the Will of the Time-Stopper to resist. Any being that somehow manages to resist this ability is permanently immune.
This would seem to be the answer.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
JulianLW

Inanimate objects get to add their size modifier to their HT roll to resist afflictions. If you want to stop all of time, you have to be able to stop the largest objects in the universe. The Hercules–Corona Borealis Great Wall is the largest structure in the universe at 10 billion light years across - a galactic filament all held together by gravity - which makes you think about what an "object" actually is, if not matter held together by forces (but which forces?)... That would require an Affliction level 156+. But I decided that an "object" is something held together by electromagnetic force rather than gravitational force.

Learnin' stuff with GURPS. Good times.

Edit: I also went with Multiplicative Modifiers on this build. Without that it's really crazy expensive, more than 67K points.

Last edited by JulianLW; 03-03-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Overheat

I think this could probably benefit from Cosmic: Privileged Attack (+50%) in case some people try buying success or any supermassive black holes have HT 13 and Super Luck.

World-Spanning/Plane-Spanning also seems nice, at least to stop anyone hiding in parallel universes or pocket dimensions when this thing goes off.
Overheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheat View Post
I think this could probably benefit from Cosmic: Privileged Attack (+50%) in case some people try buying success or any supermassive black holes have HT 13 and Super Luck.

World-Spanning/Plane-Spanning also seems nice, at least to stop anyone hiding in parallel universes or pocket dimensions when this thing goes off.
Yeah. Go for it. But I also thought it'd be fun to have a few unexpected people running around frozen time with you. Spice it up a little, you know?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
All sentient beings in the universe would have to win a contest of HT-102 vs. the Will of the Time-Stopper to resist
Have I overlooked anything?
DR 120 (Cosmic, Defensive +50% Malediction-Proof +50% Only impedes maledictions -50%) [900] could probably counter your 13,000 points.

You might even go w/ a -10% power modifier like magic or psi to save 60 points [840] and this would allow doing a Power Block meaning you could get 120 DR from a base of 60 DR and only invest 420 points.

I'm not sure why you're adding Persistent +40% (your AE is going to attack people 10x once per second before snuffing out) if you're just going to give permanent immunity to anyone who saves.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chronokinesis