Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Agramer

Default [Mass Combat] Fantasy TL 2-3 questions

1) I have "Roman Legion" in Campaign and they are stated as Fine equip(Lorica Segmentata)/Average+ troops Heavy Infantry.

Now if I give Crossbow to Cohort of them,How should I stat them?

As Bowman Fine Equip/Ave+ troops or as Heavy Infantry Fine/Ave+ with "F"-class added?

2) Since its Fantasy and there are flying troops I gave Light Artillery(scorpions and similar) ´(Air) class(negating opponents Air,as if AAA).

Could Heavy Artillery(Balista and Catapult) be given (Arm) class also to negate opponents Armour(Elephants,Fasntasy beasts...),or should just Balistas be given that?

3) If some unit has multiple Classes(Mages as example) do they contribute their TS toward calculating Class superiority in all of their Classes or you must pick one Class,as if dedicating them to specific function(Mages will help with Communication and Surveilance = they contribute only to C3I;Mages will lob Ritually create "fields of Fire,Rain of fire...etc" and will act as Artillery;Mages will actively participate in combat with Fireballs,Expl.Fireballs,Lightinings..etc and contribute to F-class...etc) ?

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: [Mass Combat] Fantasy TL 2-3 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
3) If some unit has multiple Classes(Mages as example) do they contribute their TS toward calculating Class superiority in all of their Classes or you must pick one Class,as if dedicating them to specific function(Mages will help with Communication and Surveilance = they contribute only to C3I;Mages will lob Ritually create "fields of Fire,Rain of fire...etc" and will act as Artillery;Mages will actively participate in combat with Fireballs,Expl.Fireballs,Lightinings..etc and contribute to F-class...etc) ?
You've asked this before, and I'll ask again: what makes you think this is the case?

Now a brief look brings up two pieces of text that cover this.

Classes are described on p.6: 'An element may be belong to one or more classes'

The logical follow on from that is that an element can be in multiple classes at the same time.

Calculating Superiotity is on p.32: 'To determine the bonus for a particular type of superiority, add up each side’s TS [I]in elements of the relevant class only.[I]' (Emphasis as per original text)

An element is of the relevant class if it belongs to that class. An element belongs to that class if it has that class in its list of classes.

It is only in the case of a neutralizing class that any mention is made of having to pick: 'If the neutralizing unit also belongs to a special class for
other purposes, it cannot count as both.' In other words an element can either be neutralizing or supporting, but not both at the same time. The specificity of it implies it is not a general case but one particular to this situation.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
You've asked this before, and I'll ask again: what makes you think this is the case?
Also,sorry for not answering in last thread,though due English not being my primary language I somehow managed to misconstrue intention of your question;nevermindthat and sorry again.

Relevant page 32 Mass Combat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Combat
Neutralizing Special Class Superiority:
If the neutralizing unit also belongs to a special class for
other purposes, it cannot count as both. For instance, the class
of Light AAA is “(Air), F.” If devoted to the antiaircraft role, it
doesn’t count toward Fire Superiority.
So if its like that for "neutralising",it leads me to believe that you have to pick class(function that unit will perform on battlefield).

Example:
1) Heavy AAA Class(Air,Arm)
-thats German `88 AA gun...in Battle you can devote it to "killing" tanks(Neutralise Armour class) or killing Aircraft(Neutralise Air class)

2)Heavy Tank Class Arm,F
-You can use it as support for infantry from behind lines or dug in(Contributes to F class)
or use it to breach enemy lines or negating&confronting enemy tanks(Contribute to ARM class)

Only exception,in above interpretation, is "REC" class;that can be used for Reconnaissance contest and than same unit for battle.

ps.Whats your opinion on 1st and 2nd question from my original post?

Last edited by Agramer; 11-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
So if its like that for "neutralising",it leads me to believe that you have to pick class(function that unit will perform on battlefield).
This is the wrong sort of logic. If it were that way for classes in general, that would have been stated in the preceding page or two. It isn't at all implied by what you quote, and in context that actually weakly indicates the opposite.

Also, if you look at the example forces in the back, you may note that they record each of the class TS totals, despite much of that TS coming from units with multiple classes.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
This is the wrong sort of logic. If it were that way for classes in general, that would have been stated in the preceding page or two. It isn't at all implied by what you quote, and in context that actually weakly indicates the opposite.

Also, if you look at the example forces in the back, you may note that they record each of the class TS totals, despite much of that TS coming from units with multiple classes.

Thanks,What about other 2 questions?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Pomphis

Quote:
1) I have "Roman Legion" in Campaign and they are stated as Fine equip(Lorica Segmentata)/Average+ troops Heavy Infantry.

Now if I give Crossbow to Cohort of them,How should I stat them?

As Bowman Fine Equip/Ave+ troops or as Heavy Infantry Fine/Ave+ with "F"-class added?
I would use the second option. My house rule is that adding F costs 10K per point of F-capable TS to raise, 4K to maintain, that Basic TS for F is capped at 3, and that the cost additions modify base cost.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote