Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Gardensnake

Default Remove from combat

Okay, got a question,

If a monster is removed from combat, is it immediately placed in the discard pile or is it set aside and discarded at the end of combat? I ask because it came up in a game of Munchkin Pathfinder I played today. I was fighting two monsters and had the bracelet that lets you remove a monster from combat by discarding cards. However two of the other players were necromancers that had enough cards to use their ability so i was uncertain of whether my using the bracelet would just mean we each discarded cards and the monster I would have removed would just be brought right back into the combat.

Thanks,

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Remove from combat

I'm fairly sure it is immediately discarded. So that would mean that Necromancers could bring the monster you removed back by using their ability, provided they haven't already used it in this combat.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Gardensnake

I believe you are right Clipper and that is how we played it but I'd also like to get an official answer.

btw in a very munchkinly move, I too was a Necromancer and used the ability myself to bring the Whispering Tyrant into the combat. I lost the combat but ran away and since I chose the order of discard, put the tyrant on top so that he would be available for the next combat via necromancer abilities. The Tyrant hung around to menace combats for awhile after others adopted the tactic of discarding him so that he would be on top of the discard pile. When 3 of 4 players are necromancers, combat gets dangerous.

William
Old 11-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensnake View Post
I believe you are right Clipper and that is how we played it but I'd also like to get an official answer.

btw in a very munchkinly move, I too was a Necromancer and used the ability myself to bring the Whispering Tyrant into the combat. I lost the combat but ran away and since I chose the order of discard, put the tyrant on top so that he would be available for the next combat via necromancer abilities. The Tyrant hung around to menace combats for awhile after others adopted the tactic of discarding him so that he would be on top of the discard pile. When 3 of 4 players are necromancers, combat gets dangerous.

William
Now that I have my copy of the set and can confirm the exact wording of Necromancer for myself, I just want to check something about your tactics here. For this tactic to work, you would need to be ordering the Tyrant on top of the other monsters, but you don't have to ensure it is at the top of the discard stack entirely. The wording of Necromancer makes it clear that it is the top monster of the discards that is added to the combat, so the top discard itself doesn't need to be a monster for Reanimation to be used.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Gardensnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Now that I have my copy of the set and can confirm the exact wording of Necromancer for myself, I just want to check something about your tactics here. For this tactic to work, you would need to be ordering the Tyrant on top of the other monsters, but you don't have to ensure it is at the top of the discard stack entirely. The wording of Necromancer makes it clear that it is the top monster of the discards that is added to the combat, so the top discard itself doesn't need to be a monster for Reanimation to be used.
You're absolutely right Clipper. My putting him on top was not because I thought the rule said he had to be the top card of the discard but to sort of advertise that the Tyrant was there to the other necromancers. The Tyrant was a factor in several combats for a couple of rounds as the other necromancers adopted the same strategy.

William