Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: The basilisk freeze power

Hiring a servant to purchase and deliver seven square meals is less dangerous than killing for each one.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #12
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Hiring a servant to purchase and deliver seven square meals is less dangerous than killing for each one.
Plus hire Octopi to deal with the Goblin witches.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #13
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Good point.

Not sure I would show up to the interview for that position. A boss monster in the literal sense sounds like a poor plan.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #14
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Plus hire Octopi to deal with the Goblin witches.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but there is a subtle one-note quality to your posts.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #15
hcobb

Spoiler: The Lizard King is actually the puppet of the clever chancellor.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #16
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
A bit of an aside, but when you use skeletons as permanent fixtures like that, do you bother to give them Zombie rings or explain how they can serve a basilisk over time? Or do you just take for granted that these particular skeletons are special and don't require regular ST boosts?

I ask because one Zombie ring per skeleton adds up to a serious cash influx.
The basilisk is the guest of the Deathspine's master, the sorceror Scarnsz. He keeps the beast fed and pampered in return for the security it provides his tower. He could afford zombie rings, but there are enough adventurers attempting his tower than he has a ready supply of material for calling up fresh skeletons.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #17
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
The basilisk is the guest of the Deathspine's master, the sorceror Scarnsz. He keeps the beast fed and pampered in return for the security it provides his tower. He could afford zombie rings, but there are enough adventurers attempting his tower than he has a ready supply of material for calling up fresh skeletons.
You can recast on the bones over and over again. The issue is how do you get the ST for the zombies?

The necropus has to frighten villagers into surrendering because the subdual combat rules don't support Drain Strength.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Okay, clears it up.

I guess Henry has a point, though. The Zombie spell description is a little unclear whether you have to spend 5 + ST added just to add ST to an existing zombie (which would be really expensive) or just ST added (so you're down to one ST per zombie per day). The text describes cost to create a Zombie and adding strength to an existing Zombie isn't creating a Zombie.

One ST per zombie per day is a dawdle. Fifteen minutes rest takes care of one zombie. I'm not saying that's the wrong interpretation. IQ 19 spells should be powerful, after all (maybe less so if your players play dull Mollies).
Old 09-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #19
Shadekeep

If a wizard doesn't wish to bother with zombie rings or daily top-ups they can always re-enchant the skeleton when the charge runs out. Unless you've house-ruled that at the end of the zombie enchantment the skeleton crumbles to dust. But adding to the zombie once a week shouldn't be onerous for a powerful mage. Especially if you can add extra ST on top of what's lost. Giving a zombie/skeleton a 10 ST boost every 7 days builds up a nicely beefy sentinel, and can be done alongside the weekly check-in with one's various minions. ^_^
Old 09-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm a little puzzled how to play an intelligent basilisk.
A basilisk does not object to power and wealth, but its main desire is comfort and seven square meals a day.
I'm trying to see how a basilisk, which is a yard-long lizard, would use wealth. I know, the same applies to dragons, but I think of them viewing a great hoard as a status symbol, having no use to them aside from showing just how powerful they must be to acquire such pretty trinkets, gems and coins.

What good does money do a basilisk? Despite his intelligence, I doubt that he is welcome wandering into a town and buying, er, food I guess. Maybe a throw pillow or a dog bed or something.

They are, I presume, quadrapeds. I'll guess their forelimbs allow them to grasp and use tools to some extent. Still, I'd think that basilisks are utterly indifferent to wealth. (Not entirely sure how one acquires power for that matter, but I suppose he could be a top lieutenant to some head honcho or king of the labyrinth or something.)

See Perilous Journeys - Castle Ironskull