Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #31
b-dog

Default Re: GURPS Hot Spots: The Silk Road

Here is an interesting article relating to the Silk Road.

https://thediplomat.com/2017/10/budd...cated-history/
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #32
jason taylor

While we're on the Silk Road, a couple days ago I read from the book, "Shiraz in the age of Hafiz". It is a fascinating book about a city that though constantly bullied by warlords around maintained a great civilization of scholars and poets.

The section I read was about the power nexus which was fairly typical including the nearest autocrat, the local governor and the judge, the nobility(descendants of Mohammad in this case), the guildmasters and neighborhood heads, and the various family heads.

All of that can make for a good game of intrigue and espionage. It is also a good place for a stop by normal caravaners or adventurers going on a quest. No doubt the caravansaries and bazaars will have plenty of inns to meet at.

For the matter of that you might even meet Hafiz himself and maybe the local ruler will challenge you to beat him in a contest of poetry.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #33
jason taylor

A new history of the Safidim dynasty just got downpriced to affordable range on Amazon.

For a more modern idea there is the memoirs of a boy who grew up in an underground Yeshiva in Samarkand.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #34
b-dog

I was always curious about how Buddhism was phased out in India, I guess without state support the Buddhist monestaries just went out of business. It is cool that it got adsorbed back into Hinduism because that was the religion of the common people and they did not need state support to keep their religion alive.

I am curious about how a Confucian would be played in a high fantasy game, maybe something like a Scholar in DF?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I was always curious about how Buddhism was phased out in India, I guess without state support the Buddhist monestaries just went out of business. It is cool that it got adsorbed back into Hinduism because that was the religion of the common people and they did not need state support to keep their religion alive.

I am curious about how a Confucian would be played in a high fantasy game, maybe something like a Scholar in DF?
Irene Franck had something to say about that in her book "the Silk Road".

Tags
gurps, hot spots, silk road