Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
ArchonShiva
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Combat speed question

A GM’s helpfulness level goes a long way to helping with this. Offering novice players suggestions like “It’s your turn. Do you want to deceptive stab him in the vitals, that’d be 14 or less?” with a promise that you’ll backtrack a bit if your suggestions really screw them (i.e. move them somewhere with a foe in their rear arc) really improves game speed while teaching the game.
__________________
Per-based Stealth isn’t remotely as awkward as DX-based Observation.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
Kalzazz
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Combat speed question

DFRPG monsters have high HT and can take a lot of killing. This does slow some.

The more the DM provides info 'How far is it, how big is It' etc the faster people can choose actions
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Combat speed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
DFRPG monsters have high HT and can take a lot of killing. This does slow some.
DFRPG heroes often have pretty high damage output. A knight with weapon master (broadsword), striking ST 2, and ST +1 (total 40 of his 60 flex points) does 3d+6 cut per hit.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
Kalzazz
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Combat speed question

Sure. And it will still take him quite a while to put down many foes. Most foes eont fail KO checks anytime soon from deceptive body blows, and he lacks the skill to combine say targeting the skull with deceptive
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Combat speed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Sure. And it will still take him quite a while to put down many foes. Most foes
Define what you mean by 'most foes'? Looking at what's intended to be a pretty tough fight, against an ice wyrm (which doesn't have a brain or vitals anyway) he can get a deceptive (-3) rapid strike at 14- (20, +5 for SM, -6 for deceptive, -3 for rapid, -2 for bad footing); if the wyrm uses a retreat real hit probability is still upwards of 50%. It will take three hits to blow off the wyrm's ice armor (ablative DR 42), another three to get it below 0 HT, at which point it's an average of 4 turns before it falls unconscious. That's a pretty long time in GURPS, but it's also a boss fight that is almost certainly not intended to be soloed.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
zuljita
 
zuljita's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default Re: Combat speed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Define what you mean by 'most foes'? Looking at what's intended to be a pretty tough fight, against an ice wyrm (which doesn't have a brain or vitals anyway) he can get a deceptive (-3) rapid strike at 14- (20, +5 for SM, -6 for deceptive, -3 for rapid, -2 for bad footing); if the wyrm uses a retreat real hit probability is still upwards of 50%. It will take three hits to blow off the wyrm's ice armor (ablative DR 42), another three to get it below 0 HT, at which point it's an average of 4 turns before it falls unconscious. That's a pretty long time in GURPS, but it's also a boss fight that is almost certainly not intended to be soloed.
Try something more like a Draug (who has very respectable defenses after you pile on medium shield DB and 15 HT), or a Pudding (who just really doesn't care about your puny 3d+6 damage), a Golem-Armor Swordsman (who the knight will struggle to noticeably injure on a hit) or even an earth elemental (solid DR, good HP) none of which are even "boss fights" but can go toe to toe with a knight for a good long time. They all make HT checks more often than they don't.

Each one of those HT checks doesn't care about the one that came before, so also keep in mind that an average of 4 turns can easily turn out to be 8 or 10. In my experience, a monster who doesn't quit due to GM fiat or Fragile:Unnatural goes down to failed HT checks 1 time in 5, more often, the players end up softening it up and going for decisive brain blow long before body blows add up to a kill by failed HT.
__________________
Running 3 GURPS games: DFRPG, Supers and a weird Evil Hogwart's (ish) game.
Check out my blog: Dungeons on Automatic
zuljita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #17
Dalin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Default Re: Combat speed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Each one of those HT checks doesn't care about the one that came before, so also keep in mind that an average of 4 turns can easily turn out to be 8 or 10. In my experience, a monster who doesn't quit due to GM fiat or Fragile:Unnatural goes down to failed HT checks 1 time in 5, more often, the players end up softening it up and going for decisive brain blow long before body blows add up to a kill by failed HT.
I often see PCs focusing on crippling the limbs of opponents or otherwise incapacitating them (blind them and lead them to the pit, etc). Once the opponent can't meaningfully threaten the group, I usually just narrate the finish ("You engage in the grim task of reducing the elemental to rubble"). Puddings and those sorts are more challenging because they lack many of these vulnerabilities.

I like the fact that DFRPG provides a variety of ways to defeat most foes; reducing HP to deep negatives isn't always required.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
finn
 
finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: Combat speed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheoteour View Post
How is the speed of combat in DFRPG compared to regular GURPS? My group plays a regular GURPS game and, for me, the combat always felt very very slow. Is DRRPG much faster?
Combat speed for both systems are basically the same.

The rules of DFRPG will be easier to navigate than GURPS, because GURPS rules not applicable to Dungeon Fantasy genre will be absent from DFRPG books. This will make it easier to learn the rules, which should speed up combat.
__________________
Running DFRPG now. Have run "I Smell a Rat", "You All Meet at a Inn", "Ezkali's Golden Geniza", "Hydra Island", "Grave of the Pirate Queen", and "Titan's House". Running "Hall of Judgement".

Ran "Ezkali's Golden Geniza" in GURP-con, July 21st, Musashi-urawa, Tokyo.

Last edited by finn; 11-09-2019 at 09:03 AM.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.