Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #1221
Irish Wolf

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukibear View Post
this is personal, not at large, but still.

the other day my father presented my with something he'd found in his yard. it was ovoid and offwhite - he enjoined me to look closer. scratched in the color was a child's cursive 'egg'. apparently, he found some kind of subfossil easter egg - there having been no easter egg hunts at his house for 40yrs. to be honest, it creeps me out - that this exactly the kind of thing a cockatrice would hatch from. do boiled eggs mineralize in certain conditions? it's very solid. i'm keeping it. if i every feel really adventurous, i might put it under a hen. inside a pentagram. just in case.
With candles at the cardinal points, and don't forget the ring of salt... :)

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #1222
Anaraxes

Quote:
do boiled eggs mineralize in certain conditions?
Sure it's not manufactured? An egg shape is a popular collector / souvenir item for lots of minerals. (I've got one made from Solnhofen limestone.) And such a thing might well even have been used in an Easter-egg hunt.

There's a sub-field of paleontology called "actuopaleontology" that tries to get insight into past processes by observing them as they happen in the present. I don't think anyone's observed an actual fossil being formed. There have been laboratory recreations or at least simulations of petrified wood, but then, laboratory-perfect conditions designed to produce a result in days for a specific target are unlikely to have been replicated in your father's yard. Could an egg mineralize in certain conditions? Yes. Did it? That's a different question.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #1223
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
... scratched in the color was a child's cursive 'egg'. ...
You obviously have not seen my brother's handrighting. I'm not sure even I could right very legibly on a rock hard egg.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #1224
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Sure it's not manufactured? An egg shape is a popular collector / souvenir item for lots of minerals. (I've got one made from Solnhofen limestone.) And such a thing might well even have been used in an Easter-egg hunt.
I was never very into egg hunting as a kid and I tend not to like wasting food for silly things. But using egg shaped minerals would have been right up my alley and sounds so cool.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #1225
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
On the why fake eggs front, when I was a kid one thing you saw in colonial museum gift shops was glass eggs. The story was that sometimes chickens were too stupid to know they are supposed to lay eggs, or too stupid to sit on them or something. So you put a glass egg in the nest to let her know what to do and where to do it.

Having said that after not thinking about it for 30+ years, I am wondering if that was a just-so story or something, as several bits of it seem implausible to adult-me.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1226
(E)

Another kind of fake egg is a porcelain egg. They are used to keep chickens believing they have an egg left in their nest after the edible ones are removed.

Another possibility anyway
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #1227
mukibear
Banned

my best way of knowing that it's not manufactured is that this is my family, and i've never heard of such. would y'all like to see a pic? can i do that here?
mukibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #1228
johndallman
Night Watchman

The gift shops in various WWII-related visitor attractions in London sell rubber eggs. They are visually completely convincing brown eggs, but the difference is obvious on touching them. They're a joke about the dehydrated egg powder that was a common part of wartime rationed food. It was apparently OK in cakes and the like, but as scrambled eggs it was horrid.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #1229
(E)

I can remember ending up with a case of WW2 powdered egg (in NZ in the 80s-90's) still kind of edible and truely horrible. Good puppy food though (short chain proteins)
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #1230
Anaraxes

Quote:
can i {post a pic} here?
You can post a link to a pic (hosted somewhere on the web, whether a Dropbox account, Flickr, or whatever), but not inline the image into the post.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox