Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #901
reddir

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Does Islam not have an accepted procedure for dealing with a Koran that has been accidentally damaged, or is wearing out from age and use, that could be adapted to the purpose?
I've always been proud to know that the USA have it in our traditions, and I'm guessing written into our military codes, that we give our aged or damaged emblems an honorable and clean send-off in fire.

Its was always nice to know that the flag I was trained to salute would never end in the trash or some such place.

I don't mean to come across all gung-ho patriotic or anything. Its just nice to give honor to something that you have been assured will remain honored.

EDIT:
...and honorably retired.
reddir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #902
Anders

9th century woman found buried with a ring that says "for Allah" on it.

Were there muslims living in Sweden in the 9th century? Obviously not many, but still...
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 AM   #903
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
9th century woman found buried with a ring that says "for Allah" on it.

Were there muslims living in Sweden in the 9th century? Obviously not many, but still...
THey also found a Buddha statue in a Viking settlement. How many of these things were objects of veneration, and how many were just exotic treasures is hard to say. Still let me include Buddhist Viking demon hunters in a game once, so I'm happy either way.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #904
Anders

The thing is, the ring showed little or no sign of wear and tear so it's probable that it hadn't passed through many hands before the woman got it. That's why they think it was bought from the craftsman, not taken in a raid.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #905
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The thing is, the ring showed little or no sign of wear and tear so it's probable that it hadn't passed through many hands before the woman got it. That's why they think it was bought from the craftsman, not taken in a raid.
Taking it from the person who bought it from the craftsman would only add one more set of hands (Or two if you think the Viking raider who stole it gave it to the woman).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #906
Daigoro

According to a new book, there are still wartime caches of mustard gas hidden around the Australian mainland.
Quote:
● Mustard gas is still present on the Australian mainland, in the oceans and along coastal fringes, with it’s chemical weapons having been retrieved as recently as 2012 and more may lie in shallow graves waiting to be uncovered
Sydney’s secret chemical weapon disaster brought to light in Death by Mustard Gas
Warning: Article contains graphic images of chemical burns
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #907
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Taking it from the person who bought it from the craftsman would only add one more set of hands (Or two if you think the Viking raider who stole it gave it to the woman).

Hans
I'm not an archeologist, so I assume they have thought of that. It does not seem strange that there would be muslim women in Sweden at that time, so we really don't need that extraordinary evidence.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #908
Anaraxes

It doesn't seem strange to me that trade goods wouldn't get handled much. We're not talking about a ring being worn for a lifetime and passed down, generation to generation. Just one that "changed hands" making its way northward. Might have been touched once at each step, hardly enough to wear stone and metal.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #909
Anders

In Sweden in the 70's, you were only allowed one phone per household unless you had special permission from the government.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #910
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It doesn't seem strange to me that trade goods wouldn't get handled much. We're not talking about a ring being worn for a lifetime and passed down, generation to generation. Just one that "changed hands" making its way northward. Might have been touched once at each step, hardly enough to wear stone and metal.
See this ring/tattoo/shirt? It says, "Wisdom".

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox