Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #111
malchidael

Default Re: Decks of Destiny - Late April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
Wow! Already at 200%. Makes me wonder how high this one will go. Can't decide which level to support at.
There are only 138 of the "Everything!" exclusive level left! A bargain at twice the price!

(just joking)

I was waffling on this kickstarter, as keen as it is (I haven't unpunched the initial megahexes or the counters, unwrapped the cards or the character sheets, as I have a 24x36 laminated megahex grid, use minis, and either jot down characters on scrap paper, or key them into my PC). As I have a wife & son in college, hobby spending is limited, and I'm hoarding my Fun Funds tightly.

When I finally decided to back this, I initially planned on the "Decks of Destiny" level, but then noticed the dice stretch goals on the "All the Newness" level, so, uh... yeah. That did it.

Dice... Why did it have to be dice?

Kind of like how I had never played Ogre before, but kickstarted the Ogre plastic minis because minis are cool (and then picked up Ogre 6th to go with them).

So, yeah, if SJG kickstarts TFT minis and dice, I may need to take out a second mortgage.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #112
larsdangly

After waiting 40 years for this game to get the treatment it deserves, I'm obviously going to buy anything they are willing to put in a box. But the big top point for me are the MH tiles and battle mats with all that juicy Dyson Logos artwork. We are using the heck out of these materials from the LE edition. I'm also looking forward to adding all the character cards to my growing recipe-card box of NPCs.

The only trouble I'm facing is dealing with a mix of fragile paper character sheets from the pads and rigid cards from the commercially produced sets. Maybe I could mount my paper ones on a stiff cardstock using some sort of rubber cement...

Also, the several dozen new character cards is a nice start, but of course will be just a representative slice of what you want (i.e., orcs are cool, but just one of the many beings who could get a similar level of treatment). The whole NPC/monster card situation could really use something along the lines of those boxed card games having a couple hundred cards (e.g., cards against humanity, etc.)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #113
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
So, yeah, if SJG kickstarts TFT minis and dice, I may need to take out a second mortgage.
For me, it is not about the dice. (Got the vaccination for that 13 years ago) And if I had the money, I would get the everything because I missed out on the kickstarter for LE. But I got LE in backer kit phase. So for me, it is strickly decks or newness level. I was decided and about to commit to deck level when newness got the melee character pads goal anounced.

And I have bearly looked at my legecy edition because of my college work, day job and not currently having a play group.

Now that school is out for a month, hope to read the rule book to find the changes from my Megagaming version.

Last edited by Mallen the dark; 05-02-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #114
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm also looking forward to adding all the character cards to my growing recipe-card box of NPCs.
My version of this is a 3 drawer index card filing box. It is metal and used to sit under my monitor. Back when I played all the time, it was full of NPCs. When I got married, it became my video tape library. Right now it is in the back of the closet. Plan to dig it out and clean it out this weekend. It is going back to it's original purpose. :)
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #115
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
And I have bearly looked at my legecy edition because of my college work, day job and not currently having a play group.

Now that school is out for a month, hope to read the rule book to find the changes from my Megagaming version.
I hear that. I've had a constant stream of thoughts about a GloomHaven-like legacy campaign for TFT. I sketched out a 6 scenario tree to prototype the idea, but just got too busy to take it to the next level (and I also don't have a play group at the moment - my son comes home from college in two weeks, so hopefully I can draft him as a playtester).
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #116
larsdangly

I've been playing the new edition quite a bit so I can't really complain, but if you're having trouble finding time I recommend just playing the way the game was first designed for: Over morning coffee or lunch or whatever play through a goofy gladiatorial contest, preferably using the amazing new neoprene battle mats. I like making up little scenarios that are a bit different from the standard one on one hack fest. Like, maybe each side has one wizard, one fighter, one prootwaddle and one giant. Or maybe the goal is to capture a McGuffin from the other side and return it to yours. Or maybe its every combatant against the others until only one is left standing. These sorts of things are lots of fun and can be done in 15-30 minutes.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #117
philreed
I do stuff and things.

More stretch goal reveals:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2497603
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #118
larsdangly

Nice! Great article and great new add ons. Well done gang!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #119
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Nice! Great article and great new add ons. Well done gang!
Thanks! The questions help guide us when it comes time to explain some of the details of the project.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #120
Tom H.

Quote:
I like making up little scenarios . . .
I love hearing about how players actually implement their games.

Thanks for sharing those little insights.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote