Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
kosbour

Default Cheat Questions

a. - If I have a Cheated! item and for some reason be forced to drop it, the Cheat! card stays with the dropped item or is discarded?

b. - Can I use the +3 Two-handed! card on a Cheated! 2-handed weapon?

c. - If I have a Cheated!, +1 Flaming! weapon can I use it on the Frost Giant?

d. - Can I use Cheated! magic items in the Anti-magic room or enter the Twisty Tunnel with Cheated! big items?

e. - If I enter the Fan Club room with a Cheated! item that grants me the Flight power do I roll one fewer die?

f. - If I am carrying a Cheated! Sword of Slaying Everything Except Squid and encounter a Tentacled monster do I have to drop the sword, suffer the -10 combat bonus or both?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 11-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.
kosbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
stopyelling

Default Re: Cheat Questions

Pretty sure this answers all your questions:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...22&postcount=4

Quote:
The Cheat! card does not change the inherent nature of the Item on which it is played (with the exception of specific types of Enhancers, see below). A Big Item is still Big, even if you have Cheat! on it. The same goes for Armor (it's still Armor), same for Headgear (it's still Headgear), same for an Elf-only Item (it's still Elf-only), and so on. The player of a Cheat!-ed Item simply ignores any restrictions caused by the type of Item that it is. So, as an example: Playing Cheat! on a Big Item does not make it no longer Big, so it can be lost to Curses/Traps/Bad Stuff that take Big Items, and it can not be stolen by a Thief (or someone with the theft meta-ability).
a. No

b. Yes

c. No

d. No

e. The item still is a Flight item, so act accordingly

f. Yes

http://imgur.com/Z95Hk - Make everyone know I am boss while playing
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
kosbour

a. Which is it, stays on or is discarded?

b. If the Cheat! card does not change the inherent nature of the Item on which it is played, then an 2-handed item is still considered 2-handed after playing Cheat! on it, so No....the same thing with Big Items, they don't cost you move penalties but are still considered Big for other purposes.

e. I read in another thread an official ruling which says that if I have a Cheated! Swiss Army Polearm and fight 1 tiny and 1 huge monster I can still use it and roll the extra 2 dice....Isn't this a similar case?

f. Which is it, one or both of them?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The Cheat! card in Munchkin isn't the same as the Cheat card in Munchkin Quest. NEVER assume that rulings from one game carry over to the other.

(And to answer an implied question from earlier, MunchkinMan and I haven't tackled the flood of MQ questions because we're both kind of busy -- I have lots of products to send to print before the end of the year, and I'm not about to speak for him about what he's doing. Sorry that these couldn't take precedence; we'll get to them when we can.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
kosbour

No hard feelings there....
I just explained why I posted so MANY questions on the forum...it's because we need the official ruling for these questions so we can keep playing the game the right way

p.s. I have only played the card game once...I don't know the exact rules that apply there
Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
stopyelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The Cheat! card in Munchkin isn't the same as the Cheat card in Munchkin Quest. NEVER assume that rulings from one game carry over to the other.

(And to answer an implied question from earlier, MunchkinMan and I haven't tackled the flood of MQ questions because we're both kind of busy -- I have lots of products to send to print before the end of the year, and I'm not about to speak for him about what he's doing. Sorry that these couldn't take precedence; we'll get to them when we can.)
Oh.. then I guess I need to know this answer as well since my group started to get really into MQ! Look forward to the rulings.

http://imgur.com/Z95Hk - Make everyone know I am boss while playing
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

My wife and I are staff on a convention, and we are missing half our staff for the con this weekend, so we've been taking on double duties, including prep work this past week, and that's only half of what's been on my plate for this week, let alone this month... :-/
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Rather than address potential errors or misconceptions, I'm not not going to read anything that's come before and just leave official answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosbour View Post
a. - If I have a Cheated! item and for some reason be forced to drop it, the Cheat! card stays with the dropped item or is discarded?
Cheat gets discarded. It says so on the card in the last sentence.

Quote:
b. - Can I use the +3 Two-handed! card on a Cheated! 2-handed weapon?
No. It's still a Weapon that requires 2 Hands, not 1.

Quote:
c. - If I have a Cheated!, +1 Flaming! weapon can I use it on the Frost Giant?

d. - Can I use Cheated! magic items in the Anti-magic room or enter the Twisty Tunnel with Cheated! big items?

e. - If I enter the Fan Club room with a Cheated! item that grants me the Flight power do I roll one fewer die?

f. - If I am carrying a Cheated! Sword of Slaying Everything Except Squid and encounter a Tentacled monster do I have to drop the sword, suffer the -10 combat bonus or both?
I'm going to say that these all fall under the definitions of disadvantages. Therefore the sentence, "You get all its advantages and none of its disadvantages," guides me to say: c. Yes, d. Yes, e. No, f. No.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
kosbour

I ran through the forum and found this thread http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...ighlight=cheat

and these phrases hit me:
"Cheat! removes any prohibitions on use that stem from the wielder, but does not apply to any external conditions." (by Andrew)

"Cheat doesn't remove (nor does it fully imply that it removes) a keyword from an Item." (by MunchkinMan)

If this is the case then I would say:

c. No

d. No

f. Yes

Is this correct??
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
No. It's still a Weapon that requires 2 Hands, not 1.
Doesn't the MQ version of Cheat! grants the biggest bonus?
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote