Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Gadget with Accessibility (Only when shrunk)

If an advantage that can only be used when shrunk is also a Gadget, should you use the DR and SM based on it at full size or when shrunk, or what?

If it matters, this is a shrinking super with a glider suit.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Gadget with Accessibility (Only when shrunk)

If shrinking is voluntary, that seems to work just like a bunch of Accessibility limitations that come to -10%. So I'd go with that along with any gadget modifiers.

On the other hand, you should think carefully about those modifiers. Maybe someone can take it away from you, but unless they have Shrinking too, they can't USE it after they take it, and that will made the "can be stolen" modifier worth less.

What's its situation when you're not shrunk? Is it as big as you are, and you just can't use it? Is it as big as you are, but invisible and intangible? Is it a tiny dingus that you carry in a pocket or utility belt till you need it?

When is it more likely that someone will try to damage it? When you're fullsized, or when you're shrunk? Do you go around at full size and only shrink when you go into action, or do you appear as a super at reduced size? I'd go with the approach that fits the narrative.

Does shrinking after the suit's weight? Are you banishing 90% of its mass into an alternate dimension, or have you given it a denser molecular structure (TM)? In the former case, it's more fragile when you're tiny; in the latter, it's not.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 07-25-2019 at 05:49 PM.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If shrinking is voluntary, that seems to work just like a bunch of Accessibility limitations that come to -10%. So I'd go with that along with any gadget modifiers.
That's exactly what I had thought, and that's the way I did it.
Quote:
On the other hand, you should think carefully about those modifiers. Maybe someone can take it away from you, but unless they have Shrinking too, they can't USE it after they take it, and that will made the "can be stolen" modifier worth less.
I hadn't thought about that. It's only 5%, but it does make a few points difference.
Quote:
What's its situation when you're not shrunk? Is it as big as you are, and you just can't use it? Is it as big as you are, but invisible and intangible? Is it a tiny dingus that you carry in a pocket or utility belt till you need it?
It's part of an armored suit that I'm simulating with a few other advantages. It's structurally the same, but it's not usable at full size (a concession to basic physics).
Quote:
When is it more likely that someone will try to damage it? When you're fullsized, or when you're shrunk? Do you go around at full size and only shrink when you go into action, or do you appear as a super at reduced size? I'd go with the approach that fits the narrative.
His Shrinking has Maximum Duration (10 minutes), so it's not something he can have on constantly. Beyond that, I'm not completely sure.
Quote:
Does shrinking after the suit's weight? Are you banishing 90% of its mass into an alternate dimension, or have you given it a denser molecular structure (TM)? In the former case, it's more fragile when you're tiny; in the latter, it's not.
I ended up deciding to give his Shrinking the Full DR enhancement, and I'm giving him gadget-based DR from the suit, so it still retains at least the same strength, if not the same mass. So it's only the SM that matters in this context.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I ended up deciding to give his Shrinking the Full DR enhancement, and I'm giving him gadget-based DR from the suit, so it still retains at least the same strength, if not the same mass. So it's only the SM that matters in this context.
Since it's a suit, and he's wearing it, I'm not sure it matters much. If they hit him, they hit his suit, pretty much, right? So it will have the same SM he does in any case. And they're much more likely to hit him at full size then shrunk, I think. You could probably just handwave the SM for "shrunk."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote