Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Blueluck

Default Healing Advantage with Reduced Fatigue Cost?

I'm making my first GURPS 4e character for a Supers game. I would like to use the Healing advantage, and I'm considering the modifier Reduced Fatigue Cost. However, I'm not certain how that modifier applies to Healing. With one level of Reduced Fatigue Cost, how much fatigue would I pay?
  • 0 FP per 2 HP healed
  • 0 FP for the first 2 HP healed, and 1 FP for each additional 2 HP healed
  • 1 HP per 4 HP healed
  • Something else?
Any help in resolving this question is appreciated, but even more if you can provide a reference, because I feel like I should have been able to find the answer somewhere and failed to.

References from GURPS Basic Set 4th Edition
Quote:
Healing p. 59
On a success, you can heal any number of HP. This costs you 1 FP per 2 HP healed (round up)...
Quote:
Reduced Fatigue Cost p. 108
Each level cuts the cost to use the ability by 1 FP. If you must “maintain” the ability by spending FP on a regular basis, reduce this maintenance cost by a like amount.
Blueluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Healing Advantage with Reduced Fatigue Cost?

I dont remember if tthat enhancement is allowed on that power. But if so it would be -1 per level off the top.
So figure out how much FP you have to spend then subtract the redcutuoin at the end.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Blueluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I dont remember if tthat enhancement is allowed on that power.
I looked pretty carefully, and didn't see any reason Reduced Fatigue Cost wouldn't be allowed with Healing.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
gilbertocarlos

Second option, simply subtract 1/level of the FP cost.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueluck View Post
I looked pretty carefully, and didn't see any reason Reduced Fatigue Cost wouldn't be allowed with Healing.
Rule 0. I as a GM would never allow it without a whole slew of limitations that actually limit it again. Without FP cost it becomes Regeneration (only affects others) at somewhere betweeen the 100 and 150 point levels depending on which of the options above you choose.

If you really want fast healing of others I'd say get Regeneration of FP at 1 point per second and heal out of that pool. Why yes, that build requires 130 points. Why yes, That makes you think twice. Why yes, I think thats about what the ability is worth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueluck View Post
I'm making my first GURPS 4e character for a Supers game. I would like to use the Healing advantage, and I'm considering the modifier Reduced Fatigue Cost. However, I'm not certain how that modifier applies to Healing. With one level of Reduced Fatigue Cost, how much fatigue would I pay?
  • 0 FP per 2 HP healed
  • 0 FP for the first 2 HP healed, and 1 FP for each additional 2 HP healed
  • 1 HP per 4 HP healed
  • Something else?
Any help in resolving this question is appreciated, but even more if you can provide a reference, because I feel like I should have been able to find the answer somewhere and failed to.

References from GURPS Basic Set 4th Edition

The second bullet is the correct usage.

Tally the total FP cost to heal the damage as if you did not have Reduced Fatigue, then subtract your level of Reduced Fatigue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Rule 0. I as a GM would never allow it without a whole slew of limitations that actually limit it again. Without FP cost it becomes Regeneration (only affects others) at somewhere betweeen the 100 and 150 point levels depending on which of the options above you choose.

If you really want fast healing of others I'd say get Regeneration of FP at 1 point per second and heal out of that pool. Why yes, that build requires 130 points. Why yes, That makes you think twice. Why yes, I think thats about what the ability is worth.

It's easy enough to generate a similar effect on short points for out of combat time. I think it's just fine to allow it. There is certainly no prohibition in the RAW
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Except you need to make an IQ roll once per time you heal someone and it's at -3 cumulatively per use on that subject within a day. And unlike the FP cost I can't find any way around that drawback, which is by far the largest drawback of the Advantage and the only thing I miss from 3e's Psionics system.

If you require an IQ roll at -3 per interval for Regeneration, -that- is when Healing becomes comparable.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:22 AM   #8
PK

Reduced Fatigue Cost is absolutely legal for Healing; there are several abilities in existing GURPS books that combine the two.

As noted, Reduced Fatigue Cost is always applied after you calculate the total fatigue cost for your ability. To put it mathematically, the FP cost for Healing injury is:

(1 FP per 2 HP) - (Reduced Fatigue Cost level)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:

Regeneration doesn't require IQ rolls with cumulative penalties to work. If you're going to charge me triple-digit points to heal without FP costs, I may as well just use Affliction: Advantage, Regeneration (+1000%) [110] and heal people all day. I could even pre-emptively target somebody before they get into a fight, or heal at range!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Blueluck

Thanks all, especially Matrix & PK, I think your answer works perfectly. With one level of Reduced Fatigue Cost the price of healing would be:
1 HP = 0 FP
2 HP = 0 FP
3 HP = 1 FP
4 HP = 1 FP
5 HP = 2 FP
6 HP = 2 FP
7 HP = 3 FP
8 HP = 3 FP
  • It's a logical answer, "Calculate the actual cost before applying the discount."
  • It's a fair answer, since it provides a modest benefit for a modest cost, not creating a broken ability like unlimited free healing.
  • It's functional for my campaign. I don't know how much combat we're going to see, but there will be some, and I want a little bit of healing on the team to prevent unnecessary deaths and speed up natural recovery times.
  • It's functional for my character concept. The character is a young homeless man, and I want him to use his healing power to regularly patch up his downtrodden associates, and others, of their minor injuries and ailments. However, I don't want my character schtick of using this power on everyone I meet to interfere with plot-driven group activities by keeping me low on fatigue all the time. Healing everyone for 1-2 HP is as much as I could do without turning into "Street Jesus" anyway, so that's all I need for 0 FP.
Thanks again! You've made a first-time forum poster feel very welcome.

Tags
healing, reduced fatigue cost, rfc, supers