Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Tigrah2k

Default An interesting quandary

I'm trying to design a gadget. It's premise is that it can "absorb" and trap cosmic energies within, imprisoning it. At this time, I've broken it down into the following process of completion. I'm reading through the Characters, Powers, and Supers books right now, trying to find good answers for the following. So far, I'm not having a great deal of luck lol.

Gadget Needs:
  • Power or powers that explain how this gadget can absorb any energy source, but especially cosmic energies, along with relevant enhancements
  • Understanding of game mechanics related, or RP related facts that explain the function of the device, and how it's process can be reversed (Ie: releasing said imprisoned cosmic being)

Justification Needs
  • How is this object made?
  • What makes it work?
  • Why is it able to trap cosmic energies?
  • How can this object imprison an Unkillable 3 cosmic being (without destroying the energy pattern),
  • Theoretical: IF a cosmic being were using the object, why would they not also be weakened, or imprisoned themselves?
Tigrah2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: An interesting quandary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
I'm trying to design a gadget. It's premise is that it can "absorb" and trap cosmic energies within, imprisoning it. At this time, I've broken it down into the following process of completion. I'm reading through the Characters, Powers, and Supers books right now, trying to find good answers for the following. So far, I'm not having a great deal of luck lol.

Gadget Needs:
  • Power or powers that explain how this gadget can absorb any energy source, but especially cosmic energies, along with relevant enhancements
  • Understanding of game mechanics related, or RP related facts that explain the function of the device, and how it's process can be reversed (Ie: releasing said imprisoned cosmic being)

Justification Needs
  • What makes it work?
  • How can this object imprison an Unkillable 3 cosmic being (without destroying the energy pattern),
  • Theoretical: IF a cosmic being were using the object, why would they not also be weakened, or imprisoned themselves?
Assuming that you already understand how to use the Gadget modifiers for Advantages in GURPS Characters, I would first look in GURPS Powers at Control (Energy) with the Cosmic modifier. Maybe Link it to the Binding attack, and throw in Neutralize to counter Unkillable.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Celjabba

A way to do may be a gadget based affliction
with Paralysis, +150% plus Extended Duration, Permanent Until Gadget is turned off (or another condition of your choice), +150%
and accessibility : only on energy being.

Bonus : It get around unkillable.

You would need to add payload(hammerspace +50%) to the gadget to allow for the prison effect, but since energy being are massless ... a custom enhancement to the affliction should do it.

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Tigrah2k

Very helpful, both of you.

I have a functional understanding of the gadget limitations, which is why I felt comfortable in the first place with assuming the best route was a gadget.

I wouldn't have thought about going the Affliction route for it, that's a good thought.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
WingedKagouti

Quote:

Gadget Needs:
Control + Binding with Cosmic modifier as mentioned above seems to be the most apropriate combination of Advantages to build the Power. If you add Neutralize to stop Unkillable 3, the captured entity will instantly die if they were below -5xHP (and the ghost/energy/whatever form only triggers after hitting -10xHP). Cosmic allows you to break a single rule, in this case it would be to circumvent the "cannot be contained or damaged through normal means" part of Unkillable 3.
Quote:
Justification Needs
  • What makes it work?
There are no written rules for these things other than "What does the GM allow/dictate for the campaign?" If you have to present it to a GM, you need to get creative with your explanations of the pseudo-science, technobabble, mystic rules or whatever else you want to use.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Tigrah2k

Ok... I'm almost positive some, if not all of this needs GM approval, or needs serious rework... Just the same, I turn to the community for input.

Elysium Prism – Tartarus Device

Backstory:
The Elysium Prism is an ancient device of, apparently, Greek origin. It’s exact creator, and purpose are lost in the sands of antiquity. What is known, however, is that the device has a strange reaction to anything that can be identified as “cosmic” in origin. It’s been known to drain sources of such energy entirely over time, containing the energy within. Only the one wielding the device has been known to have any determining factor in whether or not such energies are ever released again.

The exact nature of the device, and it’s internal mechanisms are a mystery. As are the inexplicable quasi-dimensional space in which the cosmic energy is placed. The existence of said space is still a hotly debated subject among the limited community that even knows of the device’s existence.

Remaining questions about the Elysium Prism.
How was it made?
What makes it work?
Why is it able to trap cosmic energies, and only cosmic energies?
How can this object imprison an Unkillable 3 cosmic being, without destroying their energy pattern?
Theoretical: IF a cosmic being were using the Elysium Prism, why would they not also be weakened or imprisoned themselves?

Advantages [621]
Affliction ("Paralysis") (1) (Accessibility (Only on Energy Beings (Unkillable 3)) (+1); Advantage (Payload (Cosmic Energy Prison)) (+50); Cosmic: Attack with a lingering special effect; Extended Duration (Until Gadget is turned off, disabled, or destroyed) (Permanent with dispelling conditions); Link (Powers must be used together); Magical; Reduced Range (x1/10)) [81]

Binding (Cosmic Energies) (20) (Cosmic: Attack with a lingering special effect; Gadget/Breakable: DR 26 or higher; Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST; Gadget/Unique; Link (Powers must be used together); Magical; Reduced Range (x1/10)) [40]

Control Cosmic Energies (5) (Cosmic: Attack with a lingering special effect; Gadget/Breakable: DR 26 or higher; Gadget/Breakable: Size -3 or -4; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST; Gadget/Unique; Link (Powers must be used together); Magical; Reduced Range (x1/10)) [500]
Old 07-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Anthony

This is a demonstration of why 'cosmic' is a absolutely terrible choice of a name for a modifier, because Cosmic is not intended to be a power source, cosmic is just "this power breaks a rule that normally applies to powers of this type", but because it sounds like a power source, everyone wants to treat it as if it is one.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
Tigrah2k

I guess, since the vast majority of GMs and players seem to choose this interpretation it's irrelevant?

Last edited by Tigrah2k; 07-21-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
I guess, since the vast majority of GMs and players seem to choose this interpretation it's irrelevant?
The problem is, what 'cosmic' is meant for (breaks rules) is still an important modifier to have, so having it mixed up with cosmic power source stuff creates a problem.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
This is a demonstration of why 'cosmic' is a absolutely terrible choice of a name for a modifier, because Cosmic is not intended to be a power source, cosmic is just "this power breaks a rule that normally applies to powers of this type", but because it sounds like a power source, everyone wants to treat it as if it is one.
That is not really accurate. I've discussed this a lot with Kromm. The actual problem is that "Cosmic" has at least two meanings (ignoring its specialized meaning with Modular Abilities). One is the one you specify: It ignores some standard rule in some major way. But the other is a power modifier: there are no countermeasures—not mundane countermeasures, not specialized high-tech countermeasures, not anti-powers, not even the countermeasures that normally affect the wild version of an ability. See GURPS Powers 20-21. As it says a bit later, "nothing can neutralize your power or cut off its energy source" (p. 26). A handy summary is that if you are granted your powers BY a deity you have Divine (-10%), but if you ARE a deity you have Cosmic (+50%).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote