Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
TheOneTrueClockWorK

Default Electrogenesis in Supers

The Blaster (pg. 43-44) in Supers has an ability named electrogenesis. Can someone explain how it's supposed to work? I thought Aura needed Melee, and could only apply to attacks. As well, the table on pg. 58 names some damage and range numbers for it which don't seem to make sense.
TheOneTrueClockWorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Electrogenesis in Supers

Electrogenesis doesn't include Melee because it's based on Create, not Innate Attack. This is why it uses different damage and area scaling than most other powers in the book.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
TheOneTrueClockWorK

Quote:
Electrogenesis doesn't include Melee because it's based on Create, not Innate Attack. This is why it uses different damage and area scaling than most other powers in the book.
I'm a little confused on how it works then. How does Aura work with Create? And the damage number listed seems to be different from what it should be for Create 6. And where does area 8 come in?
Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTrueClockWorK View Post
How does Aura work with Create?
Aura normally turns an attack that you have to take an action to activate and target someone specific with into an effect that just comes from your location all the time, and affects anyone touching you. I think Aura is supposed to be doing something similar here. Instead of having, every second, to make a Concentrate maneuver and "zap" someone with electricity, it lets you turn it on and leave it on, zapping anyone who comes close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTrueClockWorK
And the damage number listed seems to be different from what it should be for Create 6. And where does area 8 come in?
I'm not entirely sure on this one. What I suspect might have happened is that Create was accidentally confused with Control (every level of Control does give you a level of Area Effect, essentially), and that the level was originally intended to be level 8, not level 6. Level 8 would make the damage line up, at least - 8 points of damage converts, using the Modifying Dice + Adds rule (p. B269), into 2d+1.

Here's how I'd rule this works. Buying the basic Electrogenesis ability lets you Concentrate for one turn to activate it. Once you do, it's on until you turn it off (it drains 2 FP per 10 seconds of activation). Anyone who attacks you with a Reach C weapon, or who you touch, is affected with 1d+2 points of burning damage, with the surge modifier, and similarly, anything object you touch also gets "zapped". If you don't attack someone, you effectively release about 36,000 kJ of useful energy, which can be used to charge batteries or power cells (determining how to convert kJ to charged energy storage devices is left as an exercise for someone else).

You can add extra levels of Area Effect to the base ability. At level 1, the electricity you generate fills a 2-yard radius around you, affecting everyone and everything as above, and every level of Area Affect past that doubles this radius.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
TheOneTrueClockWorK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Aura normally turns an attack that you have to take an action to activate and target someone specific with into an effect that just comes from your location all the time, and affects anyone touching you. I think Aura is supposed to be doing something similar here. Instead of having, every second, to make a Concentrate maneuver and "zap" someone with electricity, it lets you turn it on and leave it on, zapping anyone who comes close.

I'm not entirely sure on this one. What I suspect might have happened is that Create was accidentally confused with Control (every level of Control does give you a level of Area Effect, essentially), and that the level was originally intended to be level 8, not level 6. Level 8 would make the damage line up, at least - 8 points of damage converts, using the Modifying Dice + Adds rule (p. B269), into 2d+1.

Here's how I'd rule this works. Buying the basic Electrogenesis ability lets you Concentrate for one turn to activate it. Once you do, it's on until you turn it off (it drains 2 FP per 10 seconds of activation). Anyone who attacks you with a Reach C weapon, or who you touch, is affected with 1d+2 points of burning damage, with the surge modifier, and similarly, anything object you touch also gets "zapped". If you don't attack someone, you effectively release about 36,000 kJ of useful energy, which can be used to charge batteries or power cells (determining how to convert kJ to charged energy storage devices is left as an exercise for someone else).

You can add extra levels of Area Effect to the base ability. At level 1, the electricity you generate fills a 2-yard radius around you, affecting everyone and everything as above, and every level of Area Affect past that doubles this radius.
Awesome, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks so much.

Tags
aura, create, difficulty, electrogenesis, rules, supers