Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Bond0067

Default Munchkins Marvel Reality Gem

If my trap says to lose affiliation and lose a level but I have the reality gem do I negate the whole trap or do I still lose the level?
Bond0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
Frodo In Bree

Default Re: Munchkins Marvel Reality Gem

My thought on this is that you would not be immune to either effects of the trap. As the discarding of cards is generally about the removal of cards from the hand and not about cards in play (affiliation, race, class, or items on the table in front of the player) the reality gem would not protect you for either of the effects of the trap you describe.

If the trap told you to discard two cards from your hand and lose a level, then you would be immune to the WHOLE trap as it doesn't specify immunity to the bad stuff or individual effects, but rather immune to the trap itself.
Frodo In Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo In Bree View Post
My thought on this is that you would not be immune to either effects of the trap. As the discarding of cards is generally about the removal of cards from the hand and not about cards in play (affiliation, race, class, or items on the table in front of the player).
This is entirely incorrect. The cards you have in play are cards for the purposes of game effects.

The Reality Gem protects you from both effects of the Trap because the card's text is worded such that the traps one is immune to is contingent on there being an effect that includes either losing cards (which as previously stated, includes the cards you have in play) or death.

The card is NOT worded in such a way that is only protects you from the effects of losing cards of death, but from the whole trap itself.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
Anh-Dalan

but one could argue that a card is only a card as long as it is in one's hand. placed on the playing table it then is an item, a class, a race...
Anh-Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh-Dalan View Post
but one could argue that a card is only a card as long as it is in one's hand. placed on the playing table it then is an item, a class, a race...
One could, but one would be a jerk and get kicked out of my game.

As to the ACTUAL question, I'm still thinking about it. I want to check the exact wording of the card. (This is NOT a request to have that posted; that's still against the rules in this forum. I'll look at it when I'm back in the office Tuesday.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Valkyrie

Was the reality gem in play or in your hand?