Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
Tom Mazanec

Default Shikaku-mon, Elisha Gray and the Secret

I think the the Secret is doomed in worlds like Shikaku-mon. Centrum got crosstime travel without Van Zandt, and focusing on him in Shikaku-mon will miss the true inventor for that world.
Nature cannot keep secrets. If you prevent Bell from inventing the telephone, Elisha Gray invents it. If you prevent Van Zandt from inventing parachronics in Shikaku-mon, Joe Shlabotnik invents it instead.
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Shikaku-mon, Elisha Gray and the Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
I think the the Secret is doomed in worlds like Shikaku-mon. Centrum got crosstime travel without Van Zandt, and focusing on him in Shikaku-mon will miss the true inventor for that world.
Nature cannot keep secrets. If you prevent Bell from inventing the telephone, Elisha Gray invents it. If you prevent Van Zandt from inventing parachronics in Shikaku-mon, Joe Shlabotnik invents it instead.
You could get a difference of a century or so easily enough. The inevitability of railroads when it's time to build railroads depends on all the supporting technologies and intellectual concepts being in place.

Shikaku-mon's focus on electronic sophistication may have left some critical element Van Zandt or the nameless fellow (or research team) from Centrum used not in place yet.

Indeed, there is some reason to believe that Van Zandt made his discovery well before the point of its' inevitability i.e. he got lucky. The worry with a true Echo timeline is that he'll get lucky again at the same time and in the same place. Shikaku Mon may not even have a Van Zandt never mind its' other divergences from Homeline..
Old 12-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

Shikaku-mon's focus on electronic sophistication may have left some critical element Van Zandt or the nameless fellow (or research team) from Centrum used not in place yet.
If I remember correctly, Parachronics was invented by a woman named Minot on Centrum. Linda Minot possibly.

Perhaps Infinity would be better off not tryng to find Van Zandt, but trying to subvert technologies that are prerequisites for parachronics. Eliminating or suppressing them might be hard, but providing new technologies to "leap frog" developments that would eventually spin off into those prerequisites.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't remember it being stated outright that parachronics work there. Only that it's the only known parallel other than Centrum with the "current" date. And that only Centrum and Homeline allow full parachronic technologies.
Those two facts could be simple coincidences or due to incomplete understanding.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:07 AM   #5
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
If I remember correctly, Parachronics was invented by a woman named Minot on Centrum. Linda Minot possibly.

Perhaps Infinity would be better off not tryng to find Van Zandt, but trying to subvert technologies that are prerequisites for parachronics. Eliminating or suppressing them might be hard, but providing new technologies to "leap frog" developments that would eventually spin off into those prerequisites.
Wait where is that revealed?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Wait where is that revealed?
Alternate Earths 2 page 111. The book where centrum is explored in detail

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate earths, infinite worlds