Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
SionEwig

Default Re: Alternate Names for the Internet [IW]

How about using the word Lace?

German - spitze
Spanish - encaje
Portuguese - renda
Italian - pizzo
French - dentelle

Or naming it after one of the towns that is famous for producing lace like Chantilly.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #12
Ashtagon

The TORG RPG's cyberpapacy setting had the GodNet. In Tharkold (another subsetting), it was called The Grid.

D&D's Forgotten Realms has The Weave as the background on which magic works, but the word could just as easily be applied to a technological cyberspace (Shade's of Shikaku-Mon's Tapestry here).

d20 Modern's Future supplement has the HI-Net and VR-Net.

I take it everyone is aware of The Matrix? Good.

Given the latest buzzwords, we might soon be talking of The Cloud. In some circles, people talk about Servers; that could have taken off and become the mainstream way of talking about things had the Internet developed a bit differently.

Since the OP asked about Japanese, it may be worth noting that "mackerel" (or "saba" in Japanese) is an actual slang term for a server. You could conceivably extend the fish analogy further, and call the internet the Ocean.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
malloyd

Network has several hundred years of use for communications systems, running back to things like roads and canals.

I suspect system, map, post, market, square and library, or synonyms thereof, are the most plausible alternate name roots for a computer network, somewhat slanted depending on what it's earliest major use is.

Though a service provider name could make sense too. Bell System wasn't uncommon in the US to refer to the entire telephone network after all.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
Arith Winterfell

In a anime series (called Serial Experiments Lain) I'm watching right now they're exploring idea of the interface between consciousness and the internet which they call "The Wired".

So 'The Wired" could be an interesting alternate name for the internet.

Other ideas are perhaps "The Stream" as in streaming data and information.

Other ideas could be in a setting where Artificial Intelligence is more involved in the collective functioning of the internet it could be called something related to intelligence, such as "The Cognizant" or "The Cognition", or simply "The Mind".

It some ways it really depends on what the Internet has come to mean to the people of that world.

Is it just a compilation of knowledge "The Library"
Or a center for social media or connection between people, "The Space" or "The club" or some other meeting place.
Or is it some kind of emergent intelligence working with the people of that world "The Higher Mind," "The Intelligence," or even something like "Deus".
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
PTTG

Radically different names may emerge from a different metaphor for the operating principle. For instance, if it's basically seen in the way some early '90s approaches took it, as a collection of personal websites, it could be the namebase, the cardset, or perhaps the face... um... book.

If it's an explicit virtual world (although why you'd use that system is left to the reader), it might still be called cyberspace. One would say "I visited GURPS bunker north of Cyber New York. Took me twenty minutes to make it there..."

If it's seen as a collection of published works, then it is easy to see it as a collaborative library, or even a set of libraries. If corporate hosts imprint more of their branding on individual sites, then you might even refer to the host in particular- "Oh, I took a look at the GURPS fan magazine in the ENOM library."
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
weby

On further though, maybe it is not the net that they focus on but the contents.

If so then names with prefixes indicating information like "info-" "data-" "knowledge-" and similar with prefixes indicating place/location like "-place" "-store" "-sea" "-oasis" or whatever.

hmm.. dataocean?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I seem to recall that, canonically, Shikaku-Mon uses "The Tapestry".
You beat me to it... Yes, that's the term Shikaku-Mon uses.

Bob Schroeck has taken to using "Tapestry" in a fiction series featuring a character from the game that was the basis for IST, so there's a chance it might show up in the 4e update for that setting as well. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
hmm.. dataocean?
That certainly fits well with the "series of tubes" analogy.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
David Johnston2

17th precinct called their equivalent "The Stream".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Anything "-scape" might also be reasonable (or, if we're going for German, "-schaft"). Infoscape / Infoschaft? Netzschaft? Stegschaft? Gitterschaft?

I also like "-bahn", as was mentioned above. Infobahn is solid. Databahn (or Datenbahn? I don't know how to German...), maybe. Wissebahn?
This has a LOT of potential, it implies both a method of moving information and a place where it is stored
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #20
jason taylor

Cybergora

from Cyberspace, and Agora.

Better yet, Pneumagora(spirit plus agora).

Last edited by jason taylor; 08-31-2015 at 06:59 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds