Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
aesir23

Default Re: [MA] [House Rules] A New Approach to Dual Weapons and Sword and Shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
From what I understand, there's also the benefit that your foe needs to divide his attention a bit because he doesn't know which weapon you'll strike with.
This doesn't ring very true for me, at least not for Rapier and Dagger, where all most all combat takes place outside the dagger's reach.

It might be true in other situations, and I could see this as an argument for giving feint's some benefit when fighting with multiple weapons as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Allow characters to learn Dual Weapon Attack in a realistic campaign, even without a relevant Unusual Training Perk, but only have it apply when using a Beat-and-attack.
This...is a really good idea. Makes total sense and fits some plays I know from the manuals. (e.g. punta reversa).

To be honest, I'd always assumed that you weren't allowed to make one of your dual weapon attacks a beat or a feint. It opens up a lot of territory for the technique, and a lot of realistic option.

All I need then to feel happy with fighting with two weapons in GURPS is to invent the Dual-Weapon Counterattack Technique:

Last edited by aesir23; 06-01-2016 at 12:34 PM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
aesir23

Default Re: [MA] [House Rules] A New Approach to Dual Weapons and Sword and Shield.

Dual-Weapon Counterattack Hard
Defaults: Melee Weapon Skill -4
Cannot exceed: Melee Weapon Skill.

When fighting with two weapons or a weapon and shield, you can defend and attack simultaneously, making it more effective. Essentially, this maneuver is somewhere in-between a Counterattack and a Riposte.

You must declare your intention to do a Dual-Weapon Counterattack before you roll your defense. Block or Parry normally, if you don't need to defend with your other weapon this round your next attack may be a Dual-Weapon Counterattack--if you target the person whom you blocked or parried, they defend at -2.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual weapon, hema, martial arts