Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
copeab

Default [WWII] Short Stirling heavy bomber (UK)

Copyright 2012 by Brandon Cope

The Stirling was the first of Great Britain's heavy bomber triad to enter service (January 1941), although it's combat career was shorter than that of the Lancaster (p.W:AKM80) or Halifax (p.W:AKM81). Despite this, it gave valuable service until the two other bombers began entering production. After being removed from front-line units in late 1943, it continued to be used for training, minelaying, glider tug, and as a transport.

The Stirling's service as a bomber was shortened because while it could carry a large bombload, it could only do so for about 600 miles. To achieve a useful range into Fortress Europe, load had to be cut to a mere 3,500 lbs, which was within ght performance of some of Britain's two-engined bombers, which were cheaper and required fewer crewmen. Additionally, the design of the fuselage bomb bay prevented the carrying of any single bomb over 2,000 lbs, while the Lancaster and Halifax could carry 4,000 lb bombs (or larger). Finally, the shortened wing limited the plane to a ceiling around 17,000 feet (and it normally flew even lower). Some 2,300 Stirlings were built, 875 of the Mark III version which entered service in early 1943.

The Stirling prototype was essentially a Short Sunderland (p.W:AKM82) with the lower boat-hull fuselage replaced with a more conventional land-based body. However the wing span was considered too great and the wings were shortened. Fuel was located in tanks in the outer wing sections. The inner wing sections had six small bomb bays (three per wing), each with a capacity of 500 lbs of bombs or an 88 gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

The Stirling III has a crew of seven: Pilot, co-pilot, navigator/bombardier, nose gunner/radio operator, dorsal gunner and tail gunner. The dorsal turret as capable of full rotation, the nose and tail turrets were partial rotation. The Stirling III uses 221 gallons of aviation fuel per hour at routine usage.

Subassemblies: Heavy Bomber chassis +5, Large Bomber Wings +4, 4¥Large Weapon Engine Pods +3, full rotation Medium Weapon turret +1, 2¥partial rotation Medium Weapon Turrets +1, three retractable wheels +2.
Powertrain: 4¥1,231-kW aerial HP gasoline engines [Pods] with 4¥1,231-kW props, and 2,707-gallon self-sealing fuel tanks [Wings], 4,000-kw batteries
Occupancy: 7 CS Cargo: 20.

Armor
All: 3/5
Pilot/Co-Pilot: FB +0/30
Dorsal Gunner: FB 0/+30
Nose Gunner: F 0/+30
Tail Gunner: B 0/+30

Armament
2¥Aircraft LMG/Browning Mk. II [Tur#1-2:F] (1,000 rounds each) *
4¥Aircraft LMG/Browning Mk. II [Tur#3:F] (1,000 rounds each) **
* linked to fire as pair in each turret
** linked to fire all four

Equipment
Body: Large radio receiver and transmitter, medium radio receiver and transmitter, backup driver option, precision navigation instruments, autopilot, bombsight, 11,000-lb bomb bay. Wings: 6¥500-lb bomb bays. Turrets: Universal mounts

Statistics
Size: 87'x99'x29'
Payload: 11.4 tons
Lwt: 35 tons
Volume: 1,840
Maint.: 20 hours
Price: $99,000

HT: 8.
HP: 1,100 [body], 1,000 [each wing], 150 [each pod], 120 [each turret], 100 [each wheel]

aSpeed: 270
aAccel: 4
aDecel: 10
aMR: 4
aSR: 2
Stall: 94

Design Notes
Design speed was 275 mph. The historical speed has been used, as well as the actual wing area (1,460 square feet). Loaded weight was increased by 8.3%.

Historically, all fuel was carried in the wings, but there is not enough space in the design for this. The body tanks should be considered as part of the wings.

Variants
The Mk I Series I used 1,030-kW engines giving a speed of 218 mph. It carried a retractable ventral turret and no dorsal turret, as well carrying the nose and tail mounts. The ventral turret caused significant drag when extended (-10 mph) and didn't always stay retracted, especially when taxing. The plane took over half an hour to reach 15,000 feet. While it was primarily used as a trainer, it was used in the first raid involving Stirlings (Feb 1941, against Rotterdam).

The Series II removed the troublesome ventral turret and replaced it with single Vickers G.O. Mk I guns (Aircraft LMG w/970 rpg) in the port and starboard beam positions. A total of 80 Series I and Series II planes were built.

The Mark I Series III removed the beam guns and added a dorsal turret. Engines were upgraded to 1,134-kW, improving top speed to 255 mph. A single hand-aimed Vicker G.O. Mk I with 576 rounds could be fitted to fire through the turret ring of the removed ventral turret. About 670 Series III planes were built.

The Mark II existed as only as prototypes.

The Mark IV (early 1944) was the same as the Mark III, but the nose and dorsal turrets were removed. Glider towing gear was fitted and, additionally, some aircraft had a provision for 20 paratroopers exiting through a large underbody hatch. 577 built and 143 converted from Mark III's.

The Mark V (late 1944) was a transport, removing the nose and tail turrets. A door was added to the starboard fuselage and the nose was hinged to swing up, allowing the loading of cargo or men. 160 built.

An alternate-history might have seen the Stirling retain the original Sunderland wings. It still uses Heavy Bomber wings. Cost increases by $1,000 and the 400 lbs of additional equipment reduces carried fuel and/or bombs.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 02-02-2012 at 12:17 PM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
Dreaded88

Default Re: [WWII] Short Stirling heavy bomber (K)

Alternate campaign:
Could we do this, put the Naiper Sabre into it, rated at 2,600 KiloWatts (3,500 HorsePower) and go with the largest wings, but add: Folding option to them, so this way the plane can be stored in it's hardend Hangar's (that was why it got 'Shorted' [Ha! Get it!?!]in the first place, argumenting with Bomber Command)! Then put back all of the Turrets (Front, Top, Rear, and 'Trashcan' Bottom)?
I'd like to see how much better it'd do than the original in both range, speed, and payload.

Even worse:
Put those features on, and then include: Pusher Contra-Prop, Ducted Fan, and Vector Thrust to give very nice STOL, much like this plane , and recompute. :D

Last edited by Dreaded88; 07-24-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: correcting misspellings
Dreaded88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [WWII] Short Stirling heavy bomber (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Additionally, the design of the fuselage bomb bay prevented the carrying of any single bomb over 2,000 lbs, while the Lancaster and Halifax could carry 4,000 lb bombs (or larger).
The Halifax, as best I can see, had the same subdivided bomb bay problem precluding bombs over 2000 pounds. It had an advantage in flight ceiling and long-range bomb load, but not in carrying the special huge bombs.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
gruundehn

Default Re: [WWII] Short Stirling heavy bomber (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The Halifax, as best I can see, had the same subdivided bomb bay problem precluding bombs over 2000 pounds. It had an advantage in flight ceiling and long-range bomb load, but not in carrying the special huge bombs.
Yeah, the Lancaster Mk I was the only one of the three that could carry the Tallboy and other bunker-buster bombs.

Harris let the Germans build the sub pens because of his fixation with German cities and once finished they were invulnerable to most bombs but the Lancaster and the Tallboy were able to destroy them. Even a near-miss would cause enough damage to the structure that the pen was unusable.

Tags
britain, heavy bomber, wwii