Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default Languages for my own setting

Inspired by the "Languages of Ytarria" thread...

I've been fiddling with my own fantasy setting some more (in between my Marvel Reboot and real life projects), and was looking for feedback on how I have the languages set up:
Quote:
Languages

Ranoc is home to a number of languages. Most of the common languages are broken down by region; only three are considered to be "racial" languages, and even then these three languages are primarily spoken in various regions. For instance, while used mainly by the dwarves, Dwarven is considered the regional language of the Wyrmspire Mountain range; even those that are not dwarves speak it in that region, and dwarves born and raised outside that region do not necessarily speak the language.

A number of ancient languages are known to exist, but are no longer spoken except by very select few scholars; these dead languages still have written forms that may be learned.

List of Languages
Common:
Teyothi, spoken by those from the Teyoth region.
Draconic, spoken by dragons and the reptilian races of Umoja.
Dwarven, spoken primarily by denizens of Ered-Dûm.
Elven, spoken primarily by denizens of Allira'el.
Hong, spoken by those in the Gehong region.
Northern, used by the Northern Raider Clans.
Rochladisch, spoken by those in the Rochladastacht region.
Saniri, derived from the ancient goblin language. This language is making a resurgence in the nation of Gor Ansat, but differs significantly from its ancient variation (see below).
Shadian, spoken by the desert nomads.

Extinct:
Ancient Saniri, the language of the ancient goblins; some Teyothi and Northern words have Saniri roots.
Chionese, the ancient language of the Chione River Valley; modern form has evolved into Shadian.
Corcoranese, the ancient language of the Corcoran Empire; modern form has evolved into Teyoth.
Kalwanese, the ancient language of the civilization of Kalwa; some Teyoth words have Kalwan roots.
Phaonese, the ancient language of the Phaon Empire in what has become the Rochladastacht; no linguistic descendants.

Linguistic Relatives:
Those literate in Teyothi are able to read Corcoranese at Broken proficiency.

Those who speak and read Saniri are able to understand and read Ancient Saniri at Accented proficiency.

Those who speak and read Shadian are able to understand and read Chionese at Broken proficiency.

Those who speak Teyothi and those who speak Northern are able to understand each other at Broken proficiency.

Those who speak Rochladisch and those who speak Hong are able to understand each other at Broken proficiency, lending credence to the theory that the Rochlada originally hailed from the western borders of the Gehong region.

Furthermore, in a sidebox for incorporating the setting into the Infinite Worlds, I have the following:

Quote:
Oddly enough, on a linguistic note, Teyothi as a language is similar enough to Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian that speakers of those languages can communicate with Ranoc natives at Broken proficiency. The same holds true for Cantonese Chinese and Hong, and ancient Latin and Corcoranese. The Dwarven written language is similar enough to Norse Futhark runes to be read at Broken proficiency; however, most of the translations to either Old Norse or Tolkienish Dwarven turn out gibberish.

So, thoughts?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Languages for my own setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Inspired by the "Languages of Ytarria" thread...

So, thoughts?
Illuminated transdimensional conspiracies attempting to gain linguistic dominion?