Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Critical

Default Modifiers for Vehicles?

Are there any standard vehicle mods? Say I have a sportscar. The Basic model is $85,000, with a +1 Hnd and a +4 SR. Suppose a character wanted one with even better handling? You know, some sort of super high-end car. Or suppose he wanted a higher top speed or better fuel efficiency? Obviously a GM can rule on these modifications as he sees fit, but I'm curious if there is anything in any of the 4th edition resources for this.

Consider, for instance, the expensive mod that can be applied to all types of equipment. What does this actually do for a vehicle?

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't turn up any answers with a quick search.
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Modifiers for Vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
Are there any standard vehicle mods? Say I have a sportscar. The Basic model is $85,000, with a +1 Hnd and a +4 SR. Suppose a character wanted one with even better handling? You know, some sort of super high-end car. Or suppose he wanted a higher top speed or better fuel efficiency? Obviously a GM can rule on these modifications as he sees fit, but I'm curious if there is anything in any of the 4th edition resources for this.

Consider, for instance, the expensive mod that can be applied to all types of equipment. What does this actually do for a vehicle?

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't turn up any answers with a quick search.
There are rules for this in GURPS Supers, a genre that includes a lot of such—the Batmobile, the Fantasticar, the X-men's jets, and so on. In brief, you buy the basic vehicle as Signature Gear, based on its cash value; you treat this as the baseline for character design; you pay character points for the improvements; and you define the resulting "character" as an Ally. See pp. 84-85 for details.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Langy

There are rules closer to the examples he gave in Action 1, too. Specifically, it has Attractive, Rugged (bonus to HT), and Superior Handling (bonus to Hnd), all in exchange for cash money. There should probably be some rules for increasing some of the other stats, too, but there aren't.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Rastur

the one I'm most interested in is removing Road-Bound
Rastur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastur View Post
the one I'm most interested in is removing Road-Bound
Figure out the disadvantage cost and buy it off using either method. Points or sig gear. I thought I saw that somewhere but cant recall where. Maybe -10 points? Wheels is -20 so it should be less then that.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote