Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #81
Plane

Default Re: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
But I would like to know why Scout troopers are wearing all that gear in the jungle. They are after all scouts and their job must proximate special forces who are not intended to be in a fight that will cost a lot anyway. I suppose it is fitting with the Imperial forces conspicuous
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Scout_trooper_armor

You mean they ought to be wearing that instead of

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_armor

?

Perhaps there were shortages where scouts had to wear the standard-issue instead of specialized? It could possibly cost more to create or repair scout armor due to complications in using lighter-weight materials.

Feeling this growing urge to try and stat all eighteen pieces of the plate armor (19th is I guess the body glove) but there's rules against conversions here I think.

Using DR (Limited: Limb) to stat an entire suit of armor is pretty cost-prohibitive compared to whole-body DR (cheaper in the end) except when dealing with minimizing cost of DR to resist gradual ablation (separate pools) so adapting "Vehicles as Allies" to "Armor as Allies" is the route I'd want to take for minimizing costs.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #82
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
"What is them most efficient and streamlined way to stat this stuff so it conceivably works like it does in the movies, with whatever internal logic and consistency I can reasonably apply within those constructs?"
The answer to that is the same as every attempt to make Star Wars rational: not much logic, very little consistency.

Really, GURPS is the wrong system for this. You need an RPG where narrative power dominates, and setting physics are insignificant.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #83
Frost

Quote:
I'm not looking for convoluted explanations why what we screen isn't real. Just suggestions for nuts-and-bolts approaches to make it work.
That is the reason we keep coming back to the fact that the films are myth.

Things work the way they do because the plot needs them to. Han can gut punch a stormtrooper because he is Han bloody Solo and the storyteller thinks he is that good not because of some fact of setting physics.

To come up with a nuts and bolts treatment either requires some form of dramatic editing mechanic or we perform some sort of in universe rationalisation.

If you go down the route of rationalisation then the armour is relatively easy to model by any number of approaches. Either you rule that it is flexible and that the stiff panels are a cosmetic feature or you use tailored rigid armour with partial coverage over the limbs.

It won't behave quite the same way as it does in the films but there will be other ways to defeat armoured opponents and you roll with it. Essentially you build the world behind the myth.

Last edited by Frost; 08-07-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #84
smurf
Banned

I'd put it down to really bad script writing.

Even if the Ewoks could ambush with various traps, the Scout Troopers should over power them with a myriad of weaponry.

In the meta the Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #85
Prince Charon

Quote:
I'm not looking for convoluted explanations why what we screen isn't real. Just suggestions for nuts-and-bolts approaches to make it work.
As I recently suggested in another thread (and elsewhere, in various ways), they were probably wearing cheap-quality (in the GURPS equipment-rules sense) armour, that also happened to be built by the lowest bidder (who may have cut corners to stay within the allowed budget). I mean, Death Stars are expensive, on top of the star destroyers, super star destroyers, interrogation droids, et cetera ad nauseum that the Empire has to spend money on to keep the Imperial boot in the neck of the Galaxy.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:05 AM   #86
AlexanderHowl

The Death Star is likely a SM+28 spacecraft. Its super fusion reactor would cost around $300 quadrillion, so it probably ended up costing $3 quintillion. Outfitting a billion stormtroopers with proper armor would only cost $23 trillion, which would be a rounding error in the budget of the Death Star.

Of course, the only reason why the Empire could build that albatross is because of its enormous size. If we assume that the Empire controlled 10 million star systems with an average population of 5 billion per star system, the total economic value of the Empire would be $4.85 sextillion per year at TL11. If the Empire spent 5% of GDP on the military, its military budget would have been around $240 quintillion per year, meaning that the cost of the Death Star should have really only been 1.25% of the military budget. Of course, the experimental nature of the Death Star could easily increase its price 10x, which would make it 12.5% of the military budget, but I imagine that the cuts would have not occurred in stormtrooper armor.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:42 AM   #87
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I'd put it down to really bad script writing.
The script writing has been extremely successful for its actual purpose: myth-creation, and selling merchandise. I find this puzzling, but that's because I'm not in the target audience.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #88
Aldric

Or they're all really really lucky.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:08 AM   #89
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Or they're all really really lucky.
Yep. Narrative causality.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #90
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Death Star is likely a SM+28 spacecraft. Its super fusion reactor would cost around $300 quadrillion, so it probably ended up costing $3 quintillion. Outfitting a billion stormtroopers with proper armor would only cost $23 trillion, which would be a rounding error in the budget of the Death Star.
Maybe, but the Empire likely has evil accountants.

Also, the other reason that the armour being really crappy protection makes sense in-story: Much like a standard TIE fighter, the quality of the equipment represents the concern that the Emperor has for the lives of his individual troops.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars