Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #61
pawsplay

Default Re: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Where, exactly?
... No, don't want to think about it.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:42 AM   #62
pnewman

Well maybe those Storm Troopers used to be Clone Troopers. Since all the Clone Troopers were adults twenty five years before the Battle of Endor, and all the Clone Troopers were subject to rapid aging than any surviving Clone Troopers would have to be pushing seventy physiologically. The Ewoks beat up a bunch of tired old men.... Can we get the AARP to lobby against this eldercide?
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #63
ImperialOne

Its stuff like this in Star Wars that makes the technobabble of Star trek look like hard science (fiction).

Of course, I don't want to start another thread about Star Wars vs. Star Trek, but I couldn't resist.
ImperialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #64
LoneWolf23k

One thing to remember about the Ewoks, is that originally, they were going to be Wookies. But apparantly they had an easier time finding lots of midgets then finding lots of tall guys.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #65
Johan Larson

If you want pseudo-Ewoks beating pseudo-Storm-Troopers under even remotely realistic conditions, I think you are going to have to stack the deck pretty hard. But here are some things that might help.

1. The troopers aren't as tough as everyone thinks. Perhaps training standards have slipped, or recruiters are willing to pull in anybody off the street, or the unit was devastated in the last war and hasn't yet finished rebuilding.

2. Combat takes place somewhere that is hard on mechanized forces: forests, swamps, impassable mountains, whatever.

3. The munchkins have help. The rebels have supplied high-tech weapons and professional military leadership.

4. The munchkins play to their strengths. They don't try to punch through high-tech armor -- they use lassos, bolas, nets and pit traps, which work much better than stone spears.

5. The troopers think the munchkins are harmless and trust them. High-tech pay goes a long way in a low-tech world, and even the lowliest junior trooper has hired himself a furry boot-boy or two to tend his kit and make his bed. That means the munchkins can start combat from inside the troopers' defences.

6. There is something very surprising about the munchkins. Perhaps they can breathe fire, or have dug extensive tunnel networks that allow them to pop up anywhere, or they know how to direct seasonal insect swarms, or can trance themselves into utter fearlessness. Something.

Last edited by Johan Larson; 10-31-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #66
ImperialOne

Didn't the Emperor in Episode VI tell Luke that he had an elite legion of stormtroopers down on Endor?

I got it.. the stormtroopers were replaced by rejects from the Trade Federation's Droid army of Episode I.
ImperialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #67
AmesJainchill

In Splinter of the Mind's Eye...all of these were true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
1. The troopers aren't as tough as everyone thinks. Perhaps training standards have slipped, or recruiters are willing to pull in anybody off the street, or the unit was devastated in the last war and hasn't yet finished rebuilding.
This is a single garrison on an isolated swamp world, barren except for an illegal energy mining facility, with a handful of human workers and a docile population of indigs...a vacation compared to just about anywhere else, probably.

Quote:
2. Combat takes place somewhere that is hard on mechanized forces: forests, swamps, impassable mountains, whatever.
The main battle takes place inside a cave system.

Quote:
3. The munchkins have help. The rebels have supplied high-tech weapons and professional military leadership.
Luke and Leia are there and the natives are eager to use blasters.

Quote:
4. The munchkins play to their strengths. They don't try to punch through high-tech armor -- they use lassos, bolas, nets and pit traps, which work much better than stone spears.
Pit traps and deadfalls make appearances.

Quote:
5. The troopers think the munchkins are harmless and trust them. High-tech pay goes a long way in a low-tech world, and even the lowliest junior trooper has hired himself a furry boot-boy or two to tend his kit and make his bed. That means the munchkins can start combat from inside the troopers' defences.
Previous to this, the "Swampies" were totally nonaggressive and addicted to off-world alcohol...they worked as servants and miners and such, and would lick boots for a drink of booze...in the commanding officer's mind, the squad wasn't going into an enemy stronghold, but to recapture four escaped prisoners (Luke, Leia, and two massive Wookiee-like things) inside a cave.

Also, the main characters just escaped from the local Imperial garrison, killing several stormtroopers and disabling several vehicles on the way out.

And you know what happened?

They all died.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #68
BMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
...but what are you going to believe? The lore, or your own lying eyes?
This is your new post sig. Even if you do not use it yourself, I will scribble it on my screen everytime I see something by you. It is a good thing I wasn't drinking milk when I read this.

But to throw in my own two cents for the purposes of staying on topic, I too would just do my own thing. Star Wars is famous and played out enough. Why waste the effort trying to conform a beloved set of movies to the cold, hard, but rewarding way of GURPS, when you switch the license plates, cross out the owner's name, and borrow for your very own? Hey, stealing from good artists is what has made Quentin Tarantino a great artist.

But here is the most realistic idea yet...

The Ewoks are brutally slaughtered. The Stormtroopers win most every major engagement... but they lose the war anyways. Because the backlash against the genocide hurts them politically and economically. Combined with the destruction of Princess Leia's homeworld, the worlds of the Empire are revolted rather than intimidated. A bunch of primatives die, so a new Republic can live, to steal from Sin City.

Bored with power cells? Try Paper Cells!

Last edited by BMR; 10-31-2009 at 07:57 PM.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #69
martinl

Star Wars is a poor choice of setting if you want reasonable and consistent technology, sociology, or history. It was constructed for cinema with little or no compromise for logic - most of the stuff that you see is there because it makes neato adventures, scences, or visuals; a significant chunk of it contradicts other chunks of it if you think too deeply; and it is not meant to hold together under even casual analysis.

If you want to play a SW RPG, I suggest you adopt the same attitude.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #70
pawsplay

Well, my general intention when i started this thread was, "What is them most efficient and streamlined way to stat this stuff so it conceivably works like it does in the movies, with whatever internal logic and consistency I can reasonably apply within those constructs?"

I think the general answer is that Stormtrooper armor is a higher TL version of lower (TL 9) armor, and is a flexible armor, for purposes of being lightweight while being effective for riot control. While the armor does have rigid plates, they don't offer much hard protection because they don't form a proper clamshell. It's fairly effective against blasters, but not so much that a solid hit to the vitals won't stun or kill you.

Ewoks are stronger than they look, and during the months of occupation, many of them have trained in Techniques for attacking unarmored parts. Perhaps this is derived from techniques they use to hunt the local ankylosaurus.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars