Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
ArcadianRefugee

Default Poison Ivy Kudzu Flytrap

Paraphrase: "If it is in a room with a Bug after any move, it eats the Bug."

Does "any" really mean "any"? Ie., if the Flytrap moves into a room with a Bug, a Bug moves into a room with the Flytrap, and even if such move is caused by a card (as opposed to strictly the monster movement phase)?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Poison Ivy Kudzu Flytrap

If I remember correctly, monster movement, during a Monster turn is supposed to be happening all at once, not serially, which would initially mean that once all Monster movement was done and a Bug and the Flytrap ended up in the same room after all movement was done, the Bug would get eaten by the Flytrap.

With respect to any, I would think a different word would have been chosen if they didn't mean it. I would think that "any" would clearly handle moves that force the Monsters to move "out of turn."
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Gawain

There are times when the order of movement comes into play though. Like when the Bullrog destroys locked doors. Quite possible another monster would either stop at that locked door, or move through it if the Bullrog moves first. I'm kind of at a loss to how to handle those situations.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain
There are times when the order of movement comes into play though. Like when the Bullrog destroys locked doors. Quite possible another monster would either stop at that locked door, or move through it if the Bullrog moves first. I'm kind of at a loss to how to handle those situations.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. . . Either it doesn't all happen simultaneously, and the order of movement matters, or it does, and only after the turn has completed do those changes take effect.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Weird. I was going to post that exact same question (and example) but apparently didn't. I was confused seeing your name next to the post. :)

My only idea (other than Erik's latest musings) was that if you moved Monster X, who stopped at a locked door, and then Bullrog came smaching its way through, the X monster would then continue.

The significant problem there could be simply remembering to do so, as well as situations that might arise when multiple such dungeon-altering monsters might be about, especially if some order conflict arises.

Take, for example, the opposite situation with a theoretical monster (the Wumpus) that turns locked doors into hidden doors as it moves through them, obscuring its retreat. Do other monsters get to go through since the doors were regular at the start of movement? Or do they now stop, as the doors become hidden?

Worse is potential conflicts (which SJG may be careful to avoid, but these sorts of things seem inevitable): what if the Wumpus instead turns regular AND locked doors into hidden doors (its really, really paranoid) as it moves? Does the Bullrog stop at the hidden door, or smash the locked door open?

And then of course you get the Shut In, who locks doors, the Bullrog who smashes them into open passageways, and now the Plutonium Dragon can get through. Of course, in that situation, I think having the Bullrog and Plutonium Dragon mobbing might be more of a concern. :)
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
O'Keefe

the simplest answer is: Move the Bullrog (and any Huge Enraged monsters) first.

At the moment (potential Wumpus action nonexistent) All monsters move at the same time. The move isn't over until all the monsters have been moved. So if the Bullrog busts down a door that was holding back some other monsters, now they can get through and continue their move.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Keefe
the simplest answer is: Move the Bullrog (and any Huge Enraged monsters) first... if the Bullrog busts down a door that was holding back some other monsters, now they can get through and continue their move.
That's kind of what I was figuring. Now, if only I can remember which monsters were thwarted by locked doors....
Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcadianRefugee
That's kind of what I was figuring. Now, if only I can remember which monsters were thwarted by locked doors....
Each standee with non-standard special movement rule have a foot icon with a question mark on them. Check that first and handle those that might do something goofy before proceeding to anything else.

Also, I'm sure as you play more, you'll remember that when the Bullrog is out, his movement could alter the movement of other monsters.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Gawain

Any huge monster that has had Enraged played on it also bashes down locked doors, so not quite as simple as checking the icons.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Progmode

Quote:
Any huge monster that has had Enraged played on it also bashes down locked doors, so not quite as simple as checking the icons.
True enough, but the icons are a good place to start. Plus, this falls directly under the "As you play more, you'll remember" clause.