Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #481
Lycan

Default Re: Member House Rules

We have a Rule on Items.

Every player can only bring one item to a game for himself, (you can bring another for a friend or newbie) Generally the Game master brings a few additional ones in case some of us left them at home or the dormitory or still don't own any.

Items can be traded, but no player can have more or less items at the end of the trade than at the beginning so swapping items is allowed but not giving them away or giving people a second one.

We made 3 more cards on the blank cards.
2x Door cards with a "Mysterious Magical Merchant Monstrosity" on it.
1x Treasure "Mysterious Magical Merchant Monstrosity Mailbox" Can be sold for 666 gold.

Some of the items:
T-Shirts
Munchkin mask
Doom Duck
Gloom Duck etc. the ones you can find in the shop or on events.

Some more items we added some more for the sake of fun.

Turbo Talaria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talaria
Epic shoes, it fun but you don't look like a fool as bad as the some others at least.
For those unaware of the greek mythology, The god of messengers travelers and thieves, Hermes/Mercury has a set of sandals with wings which allow him to fly.
It's a pair of wings you have to tack into your shoelaces before the game begins, during the game you can activate it's effect to gain a +1 running for each wing left on your/feet for running but in order to resolve this you have to remove one wing from your shoes with just a single hand. If you use more than one hand or fail to remove it you'll face the bad stuff without any way of evading it. (it's not paper on your feet, it's actually quite sturdy so you can't just rip it off your shoelaces.

Skippy's Canvas bag (reference to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVh15aUt8-c)
You have to wear it like a Kangaroo hence the Skippy.
We often have foodbreaks between a long game of munchkin. Basically you're walking around like an idiot all the time!
You can keep one more card in the kangaroo bag, you can only swap 1 card with a card from the kangaroo bag before you kick in the door. However when you're in a supermarket you can put up to three cards into Skippy's Canvas Bag.

The Overly Attached Gazebo!
Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujK4hsGNAZg
It's a like a Pet. It accompanies a player EVERYWHERE.

Sleep ZZzzzz-Eyes: It's fast asleep but can be woken up by the owner by revealing three cards in his hand to all opponents. When gazebo is asleep all cards eaten by Gazebo are returned to their original owners.
Awake/Angry-Eyes: At the beginning of your turn you can put it back to sleep to grab the top card from the door discardpile. The Gazebo is your partner in battle no one else can help you fight monsters during your turn. While it's awake it CAN eat a card of an enemy during every opponent's turn, select the card if it's in their hand they reveal it Gazeboo eats the card. If Gazeboo ate a card with a value it goes back to sleep.
Dead Cross-Eyes: If The Gazeboo monster card is in the discard pile it's placed back into the doordeck which is then shuffled twice by different players. The overly Attached Gazeboo remains dead untill The Gazeboo shows up again. Overly Attached Gazeboo goes from being dead to being asleep.
If you forget to bring him along during the game. It goes back to sleep.

CornucoPee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornucopia
Horn of many, Horn of a lot of peeing.
It's a Vikinggoblet(0.15L) which must be filled with Beer for men or Wine for the ladies. If it contains a wrong substance it does gain positive buffs.
+1 in battle for each time you empty it untill the end of the battle.
You can drink as much beer or wine as you want though no one would suggest getting more than +8 since that's 1,2 Ltr of beer/wine at once.
When you go to pea you have to give one treasure to a player other then yourself. If you don't you're not allowed to pea.

We have a few additional ones but i'm tired of typing a TL;DR
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #482
AaronH

The only thing we really house rule in our group is when you're facing a monster that doesn't pursue. We have a "Poke the Bear" rule which, if you aren't beating it and make no move to try to beat it, the monster won't pursue. But if you decide to fight the monster, you've "poked the bear" and it will pursue if you then need to run away.

We just found it the "will not pursue" clause was too easy a way to get out of Bad Stuff.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #483
LadyStormwolfe

why so people dislike the kneepads so much i think they're neat.

we ony bought the game yesterday so no house rules as yet, but we've discussed making our own cards already,
combining the space and the 'good the bad and the munchkin' sets to make a 'firefly' deck and some custom cards to go with the theme. lol.

WE play mostly with the two of us so we may toy with house rules so i find all this stuff kind of interesting to read.
LadyStormwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #484
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStormwolfe View Post
In early versions of the game, the KoA were much more powerful. They didn't have the limits that you can't use them on someone if it's for the winning level, nor it's use was limited to those of a higher level than yours. So it was an easy play to get to Level 9, play the KoA and an low-level monster, force anyone to help and get away with victory.

When Munchkin went into 17th or 18th print, the card was removed from all decks. With the 2010 reboot the card went back to the game, in its actual form.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #485
LadyStormwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
In early versions of the game, the KoA were much more powerful. They didn't have the limits that you can't use them on someone if it's for the winning level, nor it's use was limited to those of a higher level than yours. So it was an easy play to get to Level 9, play the KoA and an low-level monster, force anyone to help and get away with victory.

When Munchkin went into 17th or 18th print, the card was removed from all decks. With the 2010 reboot the card went back to the game, in its actual form.
oh, thank you for that clarification, we only purchased our game yesterday so ours is the new version. I can see why it wasn't so popular before.
LadyStormwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #486
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStormwolfe View Post

we ony bought the game yesterday so no house rules as yet, but we've discussed making our own cards already,
combining the space and the 'good the bad and the munchkin' sets to make a 'firefly' deck and some custom cards to go with the theme. lol.

WE play mostly with the two of us so we may toy with house rules so i find all this stuff kind of interesting to read.
although with the old version I guess people just didn't know how to stop people from using it. Anyone in our group who used it more than once was very quickly targeted and cut down to size. Guess people just didn't want to do that in their games.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #487
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
although with the old version I guess people just didn't know how to stop people from using it. Anyone in our group who used it more than once was very quickly targeted and cut down to size. Guess people just didn't want to do that in their games.
Or they were playing with a smaller group. I've found, with three players, the two other players sometimes don't have the means to sufficiently "punish" the kneepads player enough to offset the advantage.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #488
whitecloud197

I tried a house rule that incooperated the munchkin minatures from quest.

I made them represent a token which basically worked like this.

If you help me for free in this battle, ill give you this token and I will help you for free at any time at no cost if u use this token"

then they just put the token back type deal.

it sort of worked but i dont think people liked the idea too much.
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #489
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
I tried a house rule that incooperated the munchkin minatures from quest.

I made them represent a token which basically worked like this.

If you help me for free in this battle, ill give you this token and I will help you for free at any time at no cost if u use this token"

then they just put the token back type deal.

it sort of worked but i dont think people liked the idea too much.
Did you know they actually have their own official rule:
Quote:
Any time you are entitled to go up a level – or when you do something that WOULD earn you a level if you weren't already Level 9 – you may, instead, place a munchkin pawn in front of you. In any combat, you may discard it for a 1d6 bonus. You may only have one in front of you at a time. Unless, of course, you "lose" these rules and tell the other players that you're allowed to have more. Six is a good number.
There's also a rule for using them in non-Munchkin games, but good luck convincing anyone to accept that one.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #490
whitecloud197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Did you know they actually have their own official rule:

There's also a rule for using them in non-Munchkin games, but good luck convincing anyone to accept that one.
OHHH I forgot about that Rule!!
Yeah I will definatly have to use that one for now on. But I still like my idea of using it as an IOU Token.

I have several book marks My plan was, when I aquired enough "Extra" munchkin items, like at least 10. I can Label them 1-10 and then each player can roll a D10 to see what extra they get for the game.

Options are the Munchkin Figure, One of several bookmarks, Bobble head (which i dont have yet), Dice Bag Rule. but the bookmarks alone i probably have 6 or 7.

I Dont know if this is a good idea or not, or Just give everyone a figure so everyone can use one, I have the munchkin dice bag so everyone can use the dice bag rule once at any time should they roll a 1.

Thoughts?
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice