Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default The plastic Dopp...

...inquiry to SJGs.

The front tread units are the same size as the rear meaning we got duplicate rear tread units instead of a rear and a front set which are different lengths.

Any word on a remedy?
Maybe get the correct front tread units produced and sell them separately?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: The plastic Dopp...

I've addressed this over on BGG -- it's a relatively simple fix to shorten the front tread, but still, something you have to work at.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...05275#35205275

And my fix here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...13006#35213006
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Tim Kauffman

The Dopp is defective and not what was advertised on the KickStarter.

I'd like to hear an official comment on the situation...an acknowledgement of it and what, if any plans they may have to remedy it.

I supported that KS to support OGRE and future OGRE projects. Unless an official comment that addresses the issue is forthcoming, my support of this game will be called into question and adjusted as needed. It's been years and we still do not have plastic Combine units other than some OGREs. This last KS produced a defective Dopp...I'm about to just sell off all my plastics and never look back. So a public announcement concerning the Dopp issue would be nice.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Mack_JB

I can certainly see your point as a consumer, but it took me literally five minutes to fix each Dopp I purchased.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Tankboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
The Dopp is defective and not what was advertised on the KickStarter.

I'd like to hear an official comment on the situation...an acknowledgement of it and what, if any plans they may have to remedy it.
I agree, and without pointing fingers or laying blame, the Dopp was shown to us (in CGI drawings, I believe, and did BoLS picture a proper Dopp?), we helped fund the project, and it didn't come out as shown in the drawing. Somebody, somewhere dropped the ball (hey, it happens LOL); I don't know if it was someone in manufacturing, or in the approval process, and I don't care, but it's reasonable to assume that in a case like this, it's perfectly acceptable to have the responsible party accept this responsibility, and offer a solution that doesn't impact the consumers financially.

As far as time frame goes, this is a really bad time to start making demands for anything, and we should all be more than patient, but I agree that it's time someone looked into why this happened, and go back to whoever is responsible and find a solution. I'm not looking for a pound of flesh, just for what we helped fund and pay for, as presented and ordered.

Hopefully, someone can help shed some light on what happened, and let us know what the solution will be.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I can certainly see your point as a consumer, but it took me literally five minutes to fix each Dopp I purchased.
Or just do what I did: Glue the treads on as-is, paint the model, and realize that no one I play with will notice from across the tabletop, or care if they do.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
cephalopagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
I agree, and without pointing fingers or laying blame, the Dopp was shown to us (in CGI drawings, I believe, and did BoLS picture a proper Dopp?), we helped fund the project, and it didn't come out as shown in the drawing. Somebody, somewhere dropped the ball (hey, it happens LOL); I don't know if it was someone in manufacturing, or in the approval process, and I don't care, but it's reasonable to assume that in a case like this, it's perfectly acceptable to have the responsible party accept this responsibility, and offer a solution that doesn't impact the consumers financially.

As far as time frame goes, this is a really bad time to start making demands for anything, and we should all be more than patient, but I agree that it's time someone looked into why this happened, and go back to whoever is responsible and find a solution. I'm not looking for a pound of flesh, just for what we helped fund and pay for, as presented and ordered.

Hopefully, someone can help shed some light on what happened, and let us know what the solution will be.
Very well said.
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Or just do what I did: Glue the treads on as-is, paint the model, and realize that no one I play with will notice from across the tabletop, or care if they do.
I'm undecided on whether I'm going to try and nip them down, extend the nose with green stuff, or just say 'sod it'. Mack_JB's answer is certainly the most aesthetically pleasing option, but I'm no professional scratch-builder...sometimes I wonder if I could manage to screw up cutting a straight line with the aid of a milling machine.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I have discussed this with Phil. I knew more about it when it was a new issue, but forgot details and wanted to be reminded before I posted.

Yes, the treads are wrong. They were right when they went to the factory, but the factory apparently cloned the back treads to save time. @#$%@#$%. But WE APPROVED IT, so it’s our fault.

In each Set 4 we will include one set of correct Dopp front treads for those who haven’t already fixed it themselves. This does not completely correct the issue for those who wanted more Dopps than units of Combine armor, but based on usual player force mixes, it will do just fine for most of you.

We are sorry about the error. And I’m sorry for not remembering the details. Apparently there was significant angst in Production but I was shielded from much of it since I could not help. With the many factory errors that are still slowing down CAR WARS, we have gotten more and more stringent about checking our plastic model samples even if they “look fine,” and hopefully you will never see anything like this again.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Tankboy

Thanks a lot for the quick response, Steve, it's very much appreciated. Of course, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think that's a great idea, considering how difficult and unrealistic an immediate fix would be. With a couple small dabs of glue on the current treads, they should be pretty easy to pry off later to replace with the proper ones when we get them.

Most of us are itching for Set 4, so that seems to be a compromise that will work for a lot of gamers; I hope it's something that pleases everyone who's looking for a solution.

I know that, depending on what exactly is in Set 4, I'm in for at the very least, 2 sets, and possibly more. (time to unleash the Ogre Mk I and II! LOL) I'm really looking forward to seeing the Combine conventional forces come out, too.

Once again (and I'm speaking from personal experience), you guys come through with your customer service; keep doing more of the same!

Here's hoping that Set 4 happens a little sooner than later, all things happening in the world at the present time being taken into consideration.

Have a safe and happy holiday (and to all the staff, and fellow gamers!), and we're looking forward to SJG having a prosperous 2021 during this difficult time.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote