Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
Misplaced Buckeye

Default Solo gaming in Ogre and our current life.

I've noticed that more and more, board games of all types are coming with a section of the standard rules or in some new instances a second rule book for just solo gaming. With our current "no contact" lifestyle, it's hard to play some of our favorite games unless we revert to digital(ala Steam or other types). I know that attempts have been made to solo game OGRE/GEV but nothing has really been done to add that aspect to the rule book as it has evolved from the 2013 ODE expansion.
I'm wondering if SJG might think it's time to move in this direction to update the 6e version and the more developed ODE to bring this game into line with newer games.
I see two options to follow; first to develop solo rules by individual game and second(and preferable to myself) to follow the concept of the Lock and Load series and develop a Solo Tactical Edition that would work with all games in one or more games or game series.
I've made an attempt at using the Astra Titanus AI with Ogre(not GEV or ODE) and while it wasn't a complete success it did show promise; which leads me to believe that a solo variant can be achieve and still retain the essence of what the game was designed to be.
I'll step off my soap box and await the cheers or jeers. Have a Great Holiday everyone.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
redcoat

Default Re: Solo gaming in Ogre and our current life.

I was just thinking that this should possible at least for the Ogre, which is an AI after all. It ought to be possible to control the Ogre based on an algorithm. Give it some movement and targeting priorities and possibly a random element.

That has already been done for the video game so that algorithm probably exists although it is probably proprietary.

The decision tree might be something like:

1 Is there anything living within targeting range?
2 If yes calculate minimum firepower required for 100% kill probability and attack.
3 If no then identify the closest living thing and move to targeting range.
4 go to 1
redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
andrewbeasley

There are a few ideas here if you are interested in some thoughts.
andrewbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbeasley View Post
There are a few ideas here if you are interested in some thoughts.
Yes familiar with that list. I'm wanting to get something that is full SJG supported to go with the next KS or maybe even the Car Wars Solo system(which is a beta and non official). Solo gaming has become the "in" thing for new games due to our current circumstances.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat View Post
I was just thinking that this should possible at least for the Ogre, which is an AI after all. It ought to be possible to control the Ogre based on an algorithm. Give it some movement and targeting priorities and possibly a random element.

That has already been done for the video game so that algorithm probably exists although it is probably proprietary.

The decision tree might be something like:

1 Is there anything living within targeting range?
2 If yes calculate minimum firepower required for 100% kill probability and attack.
3 If no then identify the closest living thing and move to targeting range.
4 go to 1
So have you tried this out?
Old 12-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
dwalend

For Ogre, you need some way to keep the decisions it makes consistent. So the outer decision is probably something like:

1) Is there a decision I can make that improves my position while keeping my options open?
2) Should I complete a major objective or pursue other objectives?
3) Should I improve my position to support a counter-force or counter-mobility strategic frame?

Some examples for the defense:

1) Can I flank the ogre while staying out of strike range?
2) Do I put forces at risk now to slow the ogre, or do I delay committing to the clash?
3) Do I shoot at the longest-range weapons or chip away at treads?

Some examples for the ogre:

1) Did my adversary really leave that missile tank forward and unsupported?
2) Do I shoot the CP now, or clear my rear so that I might get off the map?
3) Do I clash with the HVYs ahead or clear the GEVs flanking me?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #7
J. Durr

Surely the decision tree should look like this:

1. An Ogre must injure an enemy human being or, through inaction, allow an enemy human being to come to harm.
  2. An Ogre must obey the orders given it by friendly human beings except where such orders would conflict with the first rule.
  3. An Ogre must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the first or second rule.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Durr View Post
Surely the decision tree should look like this:

1. An Ogre must injure an enemy human being or, through inaction, allow an enemy human being to come to harm.
  2. An Ogre must obey the orders given it by friendly human beings except where such orders would conflict with the first rule.
  3. An Ogre must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the first or second rule.
Cute JD but doesn't really push the right buttons so to speak. With the emphasis on the sometime to be shipped Cars Wars and the beta solo that was recently released it seems the ability to produce a proper solo rule set for Ogre Prime(my name for the games played on the orange board with the limited units) exists just not the incentive to do so. With games such as Astra Titanus (or as many call it Space Ogre) already in the public domain it seems like the tools to emulate are there also. Yes I could do it myself. But there are many attempts out there already just nothing the SJG has deemed "official" and i guess "cleaned up".

Last edited by Misplaced Buckeye; 12-18-2020 at 09:47 AM.