Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #31
Zorgophlats

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Will this need a note in "5.07 ... A bridge hex is like any other road hex. A unit which moves from a road to a non-road hex, or vice versa, is affected by the underlying terrain." to indicate that a road-out hex is not a non-road hex?

I.e. road-out destroys roadness into the hex, but not out of it? A stream bridge is a "roadness" indicator for the hexside, which is independent of road-state in the two connecting hexes.
The only benefit I can see to the hex side bridge is to cross streams. No need to muck up the rules with "bridge is like a road" type clarifications. If one side has a Road Cut and the other doesn't, and the bridge isn't out, then you can cross the bridge, but you wouldn't receive road bonus.

I'm not sure where the confusion is here.

I over-analyze things. Don't take it too seriously.
Zorgophlats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #32
offsides

Roads and bridges allow you to ignore underlying terrain features as long as they're intact and you enter the hex on the road/bridge. Previous discussions have agreed that (unrealistic as it may be) a hex's terrain only affects units entering a hex, not exiting it, and hexside terrain only affects units crossing that hexside. Thus the lack of road in one hex does not affect the use of road in another hex as long as you enter the hex along the road (i.e., across a hexside that the road connects to). Additionally, the fact that stream bridges are connected to the road doesn't change that principle; if the bridge is intact you can use it to avoid stopping at the stream, even if the hex on the far side doesn't have intact road (and thus you have to observe the far hex's terrain penalties/restrictions). River bridges are effectively treated as normal road for movement purposes since the road and the bridge are one and the same for destruction purposes - either the road is intact and you can ignore the underlying terrain (water), or it isn't and you can't.

Yes, it's less than realistic, but no more so than the rest of the game mechanics :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #33
Zorgophlats

Realisim. Ok, we're talking about a game that plays in miles. There is only so much information that can be relayed on this scale. Yes, there can be damage to an area that is not shown on the map. Conceder a city, how many buildings are in hex? Which ones are damaged from battles that did not affect the hex as a whole? Is there really enough cover for the infantry to hide in?

Too detailed.

Only damage that is enough to affect units are shown. So, if you are in a hex that has a Road Cut marker, then there is not enough road to give a road bonus when entering or leaving. At this scale, the road just isn't there.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #34
hcobb

So road controls travel into a hex along a road and bridge controls crossing of water. Crossing a bridge from a destroyed road hex is no different from entering along a road from a non-road hex, no?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #35
Zorgophlats

Quote:
So road controls travel into a hex along a road and bridge controls crossing of water. Crossing a bridge from a destroyed road hex is no different from entering along a road from a non-road hex, no?
This is correct. The bridge itself has road on it, so as not to lose road bonus while crossing it. But the road on a stream bridge does not give a road bonus because it is not itself in a hex. Cut the road on either or both sides doesn't negate the fact that the bridge is still there. I hope this explains the answer to your original question.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
offsides

Quote:
Correct. The "bridge" part of a river bridge is essentially a red herring for movement purposes; it's the road that's important. Entering any hex along a road allows you to ignore the underlying terrain and spend only 1MP to enter the hex. River bridges allow crossing a water hex, stream bridges allow crossing a water hexside.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #37
BlackHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorien View Post
Thanks for all those who commented on the previous drafts.

These should be almost-final.

Shout out if you find typos or anything game-breaking - thanks!

So is there an updated version or final draft available?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #38
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
So is there an updated version or final draft available?
We are working on it. I know, not the best answer, but the best one I can give at the moment. :/

Jen
Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #39
hcobb

The 6.02 Ogres ramming SHVY exception also applies to 8.05.2, correct?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #40
dwalend

Quote:
The 6.02 Ogres ramming SHVY exception also applies to 8.05.2, correct?
I'll disagree with Kevin on this one. A defending SHVY gets a chance to use its guns, same as any other unit, before it gets squashed.

8.05.2 "If the target was anything but another Ogre, it is destroyed and the Ogre is undamaged. " SHVY has a lot of ogre characteristics, but isn't an ogre. (If it were, it wouldn't need so many special rules.)

8.05.2 replaces 6.02 for all units, including the superheavy. No reason to give that monster another gift.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote