Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Jame

Default Re: Ogre Tools

I do wish there were more Records Sheets, especially GEV stuff, for Ogre online as I have no way to get more Ogre stuff except for the online stuff.

As an aside, if I wanted to do buy the Ogre pocket edition from a FLGS I know, what would I ask it for?

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Jame

A question from one who only has the PDFs: how do I model the map? Also, was the second GURPS book, Factory States, ever published?

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.

Last edited by Jame; 04-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I do wish there were more Records Sheets, especially GEV stuff, for Ogre online as I have no way to get more Ogre stuff except for the online stuff.

As an aside, if I wanted to do buy the Ogre pocket edition from a FLGS I know, what would I ask it for?
Ogre Pocket Edition.

Quote:
A question from one who only has the PDFs: how do I model the map? Also, was the second GURPS book, Factory States, ever published?
I have no idea. Ogre: The Factory States was never published and as far as I know it was never outlined.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
dwalend

Quote:
A question from one who only has the PDFs: how do I model the map?
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but SJGames shares this wallpaper: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/battlefields.jpg .

We're hoping SJGames will print a pocket version of GEV. The challenge is selling through Pocket Ogre fast enough to show there's a market. (So buy Pocket Ogre. It's like $3 -- get one for each niece and nephew plus two for yourself.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Jame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but SJGames shares this wallpaper: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/battlefields.jpg .

We're hoping SJGames will print a pocket version of GEV. The challenge is selling through Pocket Ogre fast enough to show there's a market. (So buy Pocket Ogre. It's like $3 -- get one for each niece and nephew plus two for yourself.)
I can make do. Any advice on how big to print it?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
I can make do. Any advice on how big to print it?
What I would do is rather than try to deal with this map (which is 4 Battlefields maps tiled together and low-res) is use Thomas's Ogre Map Editor.

It prints in the same scale as the original Ogre/G.E.V. maps and also has all the maps already set up to print. The G.E.V. maps are bigger than most printers will print in one go, but it's not very hard to print the sections and tape them (I have several that I use instead of my originals).

Granted, I haven't tried on more recent flavors of Windows, but I doubt it would be a big issue.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #17
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
What I would do is rather than try to deal with this map (which is 4 Battlefields maps tiled together and low-res) is use Thomas's Ogre Map Editor.

It prints in the same scale as the original Ogre/G.E.V. maps and also has all the maps already set up to print. The G.E.V. maps are bigger than most printers will print in one go, but it's not very hard to print the sections and tape them (I have several that I use instead of my originals).

Granted, I haven't tried on more recent flavors of Windows, but I doubt it would be a big issue.
Can the Map editor be used to create Designer Edition size maps??
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #18
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Can the Map editor be used to create Designer Edition size maps??
From what I understand, no (at least not directly); it has not been updated in quite a few years. I also haven't tried using it in a long time. He was talking about possibly doing it, though, but the work sounded non-trivial.

In the interim, you might be able to get away with some indirect printing magic by printing to PDF and rescaling or something to that effect. Obviously the artwork would be a bit blurry by doing that, but it would probably work and still look better than trying to work with that wallpapered mess of a map.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #19
RoyT

Default Re: New Ogre Software Aid

Hi guys!

My first post, but go way.... back to owner of original Ogre while in college. ODE out of my price range but have a query for ya'll.

I'm learning a new programming language (liberty basic) and want to make a game aid that displays a map from the ogre map editor listed as a tool in this thread and then has movable (click/drag) counters layered on top of the map. No reason yet, just fun learning.

Question:
What should I call it?

Here's my starting map
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxI...ew?usp=sharing
This began from the ogre map editor, then print, then cut/tape into one big map (a little bigger than legal size), then scan into both a pdf and graphic file.

I'm planning on using the map as background and using sprites for unit counters. I did something similar before for a hurricane tracking app. Maybe add animation/sound effects during movement.

Thanks for any ideas

Last edited by RoyT; 06-08-2015 at 01:41 AM.
RoyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: New Ogre Software Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyT View Post
Question:
What should I call it?

Thanks for any ideas
How about some of these?
  1. Ogre Tactical Tracker